Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
A lot of Dems voted for Trump. Brown has created a lot of problems money woes and ill will for a lot of Californians. There's a lot of us that don't want Brown 2.0 but ten times worse. Cox was only 8% behind Newsome. Logic has never been a strong suit though for libs so we'll see what happens. I have a feeling it's going to get ugly fast.
First off

with 31% of the vote and 4.4 million votes. President Trump got both the lowest percentage, and total number of votes of any Republican since Bob Dole in 1996. Your logic makes absolutely no sense.

Kamala Harris and Loretta Sanchez got 57% in the Democratic Primary in 2016, 100% in the general.

Democrats won 62% of the House vote in 2016

Jerry Brown won the primary with 54%, and the general election with 60% of the vote.

Newsom won his 2014 primary with 50% and the general with 57% of the vote.

Democrats in the 2018 Gov primary won about 61% of the vote. And Newsom is the most moderate of the Democratic candidates.

If you want to argue that Cox will be a good fit and can pull an upset, fine, but the logic you used is flawed on multiple levels.

Trump by every measure, lost voters in California, any Democrat who crossed over was actually cancelled out by more republicans as a net gain crossing over and voting for Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 06:47 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
A lot of Dems voted for Trump. Brown has created a lot of problems money woes and ill will for a lot of Californians. There's a lot of us that don't want Brown 2.0 but ten times worse. Cox was only 8% behind Newsome. Logic has never been a strong suit though for libs so we'll see what happens. I have a feeling it's going to get ugly fast.
However many Dems voted for Trump, he lost by 4.3 million votes in the state.

So, yeah, logic isn't the strong suit of whom?

Old 06-06-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
However many Dems voted for Trump, he lost by 4.3 million votes in the state.

So, yeah, logic isn't the strong suit of whom?
I should have pointed that part out as well in my post, his margin of defeat was also the greatest, as well as his opponents totals. Trump brought out voters who has either never voted before, or went out in droves against him who had once been republicans.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:36 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
I didn't make myself clear. I know he got slaughtered in Ca I was here. I was referring to other states mainly the rust belt that turned a lot of Dems to Trump. I know Cox has a tough hill to climb. But it's not over till Nov and I still have a little hope.

Last edited by Finper; 06-06-2018 at 07:52 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I didn't make myself clear. I know he got slaughtered in Ca I was here. I was referring to other states mainly the rust belt that turned a lot of Dems to Trump. I know Cox has a tough hill to climb. But it's not over till Nov and I still have a little hope.
Im assuming you mean Ohio, Iowa and Michigan. yes, some people flipped in those states, but that truly seems to be the extent of his flipping power, everywhere else seemed to be lower turn out or 3rd party voting.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:48 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hillary 2020 still owns the DNC. Buckle up, I'm expecting her to not go away quietly like some people think.
Hillary is history and has no influence over democrats

Old 06-06-2018, 09:58 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
Quote:
Newsom knows what he’s doing when he invited Trump to campaign for Cox today. He knows the more time Trump spends with Cox, the worse Cox will do.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:55 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Newsom knows what he’s doing when he invited Trump to campaign for Cox today. He knows the more time Trump spends with Cox, the worse Cox will do.
Just can't wait till Newsome wins and Ca goes to war against Trump.

If he wins Ca is doomed. I only hope enough Californians can see this.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:13 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
Not quite the Democratic blowout liberals were hoping for in the targeted districts. I think some were expecting a Democrat top 2 LOL.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:05 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Not quite the Democratic blowout liberals were hoping for in the targeted districts. I think some were expecting a Democrat top 2 LOL.
While some may have expected a blowout, most dreaded one. Running 2 candidates from the same party in the general election is always ultimately ruinous for the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections