U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:04 PM

51,670 posts, read 41,621,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Ironically the super delegate system was meant in part to help diversity the field and provide more incentive for folks to trudge into more places. Which is the exact opposite of what happened in 2016.
Are you sure that's what the system was meant to accomplish because that's not what the DNC leadership is saying.

Quote:
On February 12, 2016, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, chair of the Democratic National Committee, was asked by CNN's Jake Tapper, "What do you tell voters who are new to the process who say this makes them feel like it's all rigged?" Schultz's response was, "Unpledged delegates exist really to make sure that party leaders and elected officials don't have to be in a position where they are running against grass-roots activists

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdelegate#Origins

It's meant to protect the insiders from upstarts like Bernie Sanders.

It worked EXACTLY as intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 12:44 PM

3,339 posts, read 4,309,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Are you sure that's what the system was meant to accomplish because that's not what the DNC leadership is saying.

Are you actually arguing that Debbie Wassermann Schultz knows what she is saying?

The big name types get the attention but they basically include all the elected Governors, US reps and Senators. And a lot of the lesser party officials are not the big name donors but the folks who volunteer on campaigns, serve in tedious roles or represent some group like women voter coalitions, professional associations, young voter groups and the like. This can attract candidates to states where the election might be a foregone conclusion or there is no path to victory in the fall. The mandate to include all the US Reps who are Dems also basically ensures a larger say for African Americans and other groups who would give a path for representation for groups not typically seen in actual party or elected offices.

I think it all became convoluted because Clinton tied herself in a pretzel locking all those folks down in advance of the primaries and because Sanders was not a Democrat before his presidential run. To be honest I think the idea was always goofy at best- if you want a candidate who can win elections, you should be rewarding the candidate who actually won the most elections. And while it intended to get people of different backgrounds into the conversation, it basically turned into another echo chamber just more diverse.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:55 PM

10,801 posts, read 2,674,897 times
Gavin Newsom said he wants to run against a Republican. I want him to be happy so I voted for Republican John Cox. Newsom wants to raise taxes across the board so, considering recent surveys showing half of the population wants to move out of San Francisco, his city, and two-thirds of Californians say it's too expensive to live here, I think Cox has a chance. There is an effort to repeal the most recent Dem gas tax.

Instead of mailing my ballot as I usually do, I went at lunchtime to see the turnout. There were six voting stations and I only had to wait a minute for one to be free. Very long ballot which I filled out (the booklet) beforehand. I can't imagine not doing your homework and reading it while you are punching the holes. You'd be there for hours.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:21 PM

321 posts, read 118,802 times
Newson wants to face a Republican because he knows it will be easy ... Cox does not stand a chance of winning, even though newson says he'll raise taxes, Cox would still lose an election.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:33 PM

38,404 posts, read 2,900,459 times
I have my absentee ballot still blank, & I am deciding if I want to vote or not, If I do, I will go drop it off at a precinct.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:13 PM

3,649 posts, read 2,457,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post

Instead of mailing my ballot as I usually do, I went at lunchtime to see the turnout. There were six voting stations and I only had to wait a minute for one to be free. Very long ballot which I filled out (the booklet) beforehand. I can't imagine not doing your homework and reading it while you are punching the holes. You'd be there for hours.
In Pacific Beach, I went in at noon. There was a person walking out before I got there; there were a mother and daughter walking in as I left.

For us, the ballot was front and back. I didn't live out here for the crazy post-Grey Davis election, but it's still a large number of people for governor and senator - - a bus driver, musician, multiple authors, graphic designers, etc. Agreed that without doing research ahead of time, it's a fool's errand. There are lots of Democrats and Republicans running for both positions - - if you're just going by the party affiliation, you may be signing up for the guy who's a bus driver!

Old 06-05-2018, 10:20 PM

Polls are closed. Newsom first place, Cox second, so Newsom got his wish of running against a Republican. Surprisingly, Travis Allen, a Republican, came in third. His campaign had been paid for by a lot of Dems because Dems felt he would be eaiser for Newsom to beat than John Cox.

I'll call it early: John Cox will be our new governor in November! First order of business will be getting rid of our Sanctuary State status.

Second order of business will be signing the Pooper Scooper bill -- vagrants, crazies and drug addicts will have to clean up their own poop!

Villaraigosa got screwed and may contest the results. Over a hundred thousand voters weren't listed on the voter rolls in his district. Very suspicious. The man is a buffoon but still, I bet Newsom feared the Latino and illegal votes so made 'arrangements.'.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The other thing to mention is that the Dems have a glut of candidates in the most important house races. In CA, the top two vote getters progress from primary to general election regardless of party. If those candidates split the Democratic/progressive vote too evenly its possible Democrat hopes for November are tempered by midnight tonight. The other problem for Dems will be that Rs are simply better at actually showing up to vote.

Listening to early results and that is what happened in one race - the Rep won. Don't remember who though.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:37 PM

23,229 posts, read 11,481,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

It wasnt needed, Clinton won the popular vote in the primary.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 PM

23,229 posts, read 11,481,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Listening to early results and that is what happened in one race - the Rep won. Don't remember who though.
None of the races have been called yet, all 10 of the competitive races currently have an R and D as the top 2 as of right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elect...=.84a16cb960eb

Democrats arent worried about a Republican finishing first tonight with 35%, they just need a Democrat to stay second.

California 39 may actually end up with a second primary in mid August if the 100,000 voters left off the rolls file a lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or