U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:10 AM

34,387 posts, read 41,480,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I am not American .. but what do you guys from America say ?
I think the current President has shown character flaws that would make me think him to be un re electable but he has a sizable base that will overlook any of his crazy antics ,he may in fact get re elected especially if a third party comes into play.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:36 AM

71,968 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
That's a good point, that he hates this job. I agree that he might hang up the boxing gloves after this round, claiming victory and that he achieved MAGA of course. Nothing would surprise me at this point.
Heck, I was one of those who though he was nuts to even run. Certainly thought he would drop out along the way. Then I just knew somehow there would be a mass uproar during the convention and he wouldn't get the nomination. When that happened I assumed the race was over and Hillary would be our first woman President. Well, we know how that turned out. Now, with his first term approaching its mid way point I don't see him baking off at all. So, guess we are all just waging a guess at what he might do in 2020? I certainly don't think he hates his job. I do think, if he decides not to run he will come up with some vague reason and i am pretty sure Melania will not be unhappy if he desides to bow out.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
1. He and I are the same age, and 4 years in a meat grinder would be more than enough for anybody, even given his giant ego. He will be almost 80 at the end of his second term, and just would not have the stamina that the job requires.

2. $$. Unlike Obama and the Clintons during their various tenures in office, President Trump's net worth is declining. I wouldn't want to continue taking financial hits for serving my country.

3. He may feel that he has accomplished as much as he can, and hand over the reins to Pence.
thanks for giving your reasons: I agree on the age point, but am not sure his ego would let him admit that. If he does bow out he will probably say he needs to return to his business but I don't think his net worth is really an issue at all. Now, for accomplishing all he set out to do, that might very well be a reason for him to say, enough is enough.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
After reading all the responses in this thread, I think Russian bots have taken over City-Data. That is the only logical explanation for the support for the worst president in American history. Have any of you Trump supporters ever listened to anything he says?
Just because you are not a fan doesn't mean you are right. Plenty of what he has said and done make good sense, even if it doesn't meet with your approval. And let me add, I was never a Trump supporter even after he won and I not like him as a person nor do I like his lack of knowing when to tell the truth.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:03 PM

3,544 posts, read 2,235,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
After reading all the responses in this thread, I think Russian bots have taken over City-Data. That is the only logical explanation for the support for the worst president in American history. Have any of you Trump supporters ever listened to anything he says?
I look at what he DOES. I stopped thinking of Presidents as role models when Clinton started getting BJs in the oval office.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:22 PM

5,169 posts, read 6,359,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just because you are not a fan doesn't mean you are right. Plenty of what he has said and done make good sense, even if it doesn't meet with your approval. And let me add, I was never a Trump supporter even after he won and I not like him as a person nor do I like his lack of knowing when to tell the truth.
I have not seen one thing he has said or done that is not an embarrassment to this nation. I have usually supported this nation's President regardless of party. I supported Nixon up until just before he resigned. None were on this level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I look at what he DOES. I stopped thinking of Presidents as role models when Clinton started getting BJs in the oval office.
Name one thing he has done.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:41 PM

1,565 posts, read 747,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
#4 would be Mike Pompeo.

If it became Pompeo, we would have the first President who has never run for office and was never elected as an official at any level in our government.

In addition to becoming the very first Secretary of State to ever become President through succession of office.
Just a small correction on Pompeo (not to detract from other details of your post) - he was a Congressman from Kansas' 4th district before Trump nominated him for his previous role of CIA director. But it would certainly be a very strange situation to have someone succeed to the presidency who had only been elected at the congressional district level before.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:36 PM

8,562 posts, read 6,148,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That would be the highest pinnacle of irony if it was to happen. If ti was to happen soon, while Ryan is a lame duck House Speaker, it could also bring on a brand-new succession crisis the United States has never experienced before.

Gerald Ford became our first President by default when he was the Speaker of the House, but he had not announced any plans to retire when the laws of succession made him our only non-elected Vice President and then our only non-elected President.

If Pence was to leave, I can only wonder what would happen next. Ryan, by the constitution, would fill his shoes, but would he fill Pence's place until 2020 or until he retires at the end of this year? Would he stay on as V.P. if Trump was impeached? If he did, would he remain President by default until 2020, even if his retirement allowed it?
Would it be legal or not? No one knows. It's one of those things the Constitution doesn't cover, and there's no precedent in in our common law either.

#3 in line would be Orrin Hatch, but he announced his retirement too, and his party has already chosen 2 others to a run-off to take his place on the ballot. If Ryan would be declared ineligible for the office, so would Hatch.

#4 would be Mike Pompeo.

If it became Pompeo, we would have the first President who has never run for office and was never elected as an official at any level in our government.

In addition to becoming the very first Secretary of State to ever become President through succession of office.

This has to be the very first time our line of succession has been so tenuous, complicated and fragile.
No he didn't.

First, Gerald Ford was never Speaker....as the House was in Democratic hands for 40 years from 1955 when Sam Rayburn took over until the Newt Gingrich era starting in 1995. He was House Minority Leader when he was appointed Vice President under the terms of the 25th Amendment. That was in December '73, so he had been Vice President for 9 months or so when Nixon resigned and Ford succeeded.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:44 PM

14,417 posts, read 11,725,880 times
Here is the next President of the US barring any catastrophes and providing her father chooses not to run in 2020: https://www.bustle.com/p/is-ivanka-t...before-9354298. Not one politician on the left or the right is being groomed for the job like Ivanka. She is in the right place at the right time and, in general, has only received accolades for her efforts. It isn't only that; but almost every photograph looks like she poised for the shot and maybe she did. She has avoided political brawls.

Of course anything can happen and her father can still run for a second term. I personally would like to see her be the first female President of the US just to kick some mud in the face of the left (that sorely wants that honor). Considering her fathers record and the fact the economy is strong + plus his poll numbers are pretty high; I would guess that he will have 2020 for his taking if he so desires.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:44 PM

5,225 posts, read 3,637,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I am not American .. but what do you guys from America say ?
Of course he will win in 2020, and Ivanka will win in 2024.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or