U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 PM

17,253 posts, read 19,555,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I am not American .. but what do you guys from America say ?
After what happened in Singapore on Tuesday, what do you think?

Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 PM

9,029 posts, read 4,123,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A Sanders type has a better chance than a centrist. People are still going to want change

I would agree with this. Trump doesn't have a lot of weak supporters. The key to winning will be getting the 60% or so that don't like Trump to the polls to vote. A centrist Democrat isn't going to pull supporters away from Trump, at least enough to matter so Democrats should offer a stark alternative to Trump rather than trying to be Trump-lite. Getting people out who stayed home in 2016 will make a much greater impact.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:11 PM

24,823 posts, read 6,177,013 times
I am just an interested outside observer. I have predicted here for many months, in my posts that Trump could win quite easily in 2020.

He is a curious man. Self delusional, vindictive, and a liar. He praises dictators, and attacks his allies. But, he is a man who was long overdue for Americans. Many citizens are sick to death of the way America has been drifting for decades.

He has managed to ride the wave of an improving economy, that began long before he became President. He boasts loudly, but has actually achieved very little.

Meeting Kim of Korea, a meeting the NK leadership have wanted for decades, is no great achievement. Kim has wanted to be the big man internationally for a long time. Now, we have a POTUS praising him as being not a bad guy. Plus he loves his half starved people..........

But, it's all about the economy at the end of the day. Donald is waving the big stick, and many Americans like that. He says the things they want to hear. He insults his allies, and tears up agreements which took years to negotiate.

Trade tariffs work both ways. If leaders get carried away with tit for tat actions, we could have a world wide recession down the line. America has good trade deals with most of the world. The one country who really is taking advantage is China.

The Dems are like rabbits caught in the headlights. They are partly to blame for all this. Americans are fed up of folks like Hillary Clinton being put up as a candidate just because it's their turn. She was done as soon as her heels were on display being dragged into that vehicle.

They have better find someone good....... real good. The candidate has better have some fighting spirit, because Trump will try and rip him apart. He is good at discovering weakness, and then giving it a nickname. It will be a him....... they won't chance another female candidate at this time.

But the days of day dreaming of Trump draining the swamp are over - he is the swamp. His family are busy enriching themselves, as tent cities get bigger. Hard working folks are turning their eyes away. There but for the grace of God go I. Most Republican politicians seem intimidated, and frightened of crossing Donald Trump. As usual, they are putting their own careers first, before what's good for America.

I just hope Trump will not trigger a world wide recession, and get through his time in office without anything truly awful happening. His base will stand by him no matter what.

Last edited by English Dave; 06-13-2018 at 11:27 PM..

Old 06-14-2018, 12:05 AM

8,765 posts, read 4,442,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Sadly, I think Trump will win. What's more....he jokingly made reference to serving a third term. I donít think he was joking. I fully expect him to try to serve as president for life. We'll find out more after he wins the second term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
maybe you just have no sense of humor
If people would take their blinders off, they would see ... no one is laughing.

One day, some one is going to push the envelope. Since Trump has a propensity for all things outrageous, puts him into the category as a mostly likely to ...

Old 06-14-2018, 02:49 AM

15,000 posts, read 13,343,183 times
Trump is gonna end up being so bad that he is going to be good and win in 2020, provided the economy is not in recession.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:53 AM

15,000 posts, read 13,343,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I am just an interested outside observer. I have predicted here for many months, in my posts that Trump could win quite easily in 2020.

He is a curious man. Self delusional, vindictive, and a liar. He praises dictators, and attacks his allies. But, he is a man who was long overdue for Americans. Many citizens are sick to death of the way America has been drifting for decades.

He has managed to ride the wave of an improving economy, that began long before he became President. He boasts loudly, but has actually achieved very little.

Meeting Kim of Korea, a meeting the NK leadership have wanted for decades, is no great achievement. Kim has wanted to be the big man internationally for a long time. Now, we have a POTUS praising him as being not a bad guy. Plus he loves his half starved people..........

But, it's all about the economy at the end of the day. Donald is waving the big stick, and many Americans like that. He says the things they want to hear. He insults his allies, and tears up agreements which took years to negotiate.

Trade tariffs work both ways. If leaders get carried away with tit for tat actions, we could have a world wide recession down the line. America has good trade deals with most of the world. The one country who really is taking advantage is China.

The Dems are like rabbits caught in the headlights. They are partly to blame for all this. Americans are fed up of folks like Hillary Clinton being put up as a candidate just because it's their turn. She was done as soon as her heels were on display being dragged into that vehicle.

They have better find someone good....... real good. The candidate has better have some fighting spirit, because Trump will try and rip him apart. He is good at discovering weakness, and then giving it a nickname. It will be a him....... they won't chance another female candidate at this time.

But the days of day dreaming of Trump draining the swamp are over - he is the swamp. His family are busy enriching themselves, as tent cities get bigger. Hard working folks are turning their eyes away. There but for the grace of God go I. Most Republican politicians seem intimidated, and frightened of crossing Donald Trump. As usual, they are putting their own careers first, before what's good for America.

I just hope Trump will not trigger a world wide recession, and get through his time in office without anything truly awful happening. His base will stand by him no matter what.
Too much truth for comfort.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,833,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It depends on if Democrats nominate somebody who can energize their base and bring people out to vote. Trump supporters' enthusiasm shows no sign of cooling.
The left have no shortage of old, white, boring men like Biden and Sanders they can prop up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Very good post and represents how politically informed the world really is about American politics.

I'll add that Trump represents the bombastic, brash, obnoxious, offensive, impulsive, blatant, unapologetic, non-PC, tell it like it is, personality that many Americans want from a world leader. It's the opposite of Obama. He is the "American exceptionalism" in human form.

Running against Trump is hard because he just rips you up, nothing is off the table. He tries to hurt you emotionally and psychologically, as a billionaire, he has nothing to lose. But most importantly, he's not a politician, that was his "trump" card.

Ironically, Trump had no intention of winning. You can see all the videos of him calling the election rigged as proof.

Last edited by Rocko20; 06-14-2018 at 03:14 AM..

Old 06-14-2018, 03:05 AM

8,659 posts, read 2,482,311 times
My guess is that unless he sees a way to really make so major money out it that he won't run again.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:07 AM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 10 days ago)

5,607 posts, read 6,697,498 times
Trump could very well win in 2020. It may be a good thing in a way, because if the economy collapses during his presidency, that will be the end of the Trumpublicans and the Republican party as we know it. More states will be trending blue by then, including Texas. The Trumptanic will sink, taking all of his increasingly older supporters with it ...at least the ones that the Grim Reaper doesn't grab, in the interim!

Old 06-14-2018, 03:15 AM

4,872 posts, read 2,352,360 times
Increasingly older supporters - I think you fit in with that group!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or