Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 04:00 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The list is rather long. Whether you consider them positive or negative depends on whether you are a logical and reasonable person or a Democrat.

(lol....and I'm not even a Republican)

Old 06-18-2018, 06:43 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Most of the country is overjoyed with what he is doing and understand how fortunate we are to have him at this time in our history. We were on a very frightening downward slide and no one else could have turned things around like Trump has. No one.

You are on the outside looking in.
Math is a very interesting subject. You might want to look into it. You'd find out things like 43.7 is less than 51.3 which is the average of Trump's approval ratings. So no, "most of the country" is not overjoyed with what he's doing and don't consider ourselves fortunate to have him as our President.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html

Perhaps someday you'll join the rest of us in the realm of reality and understand that you are in fact the one on the outside looking in.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Historically, incumbent presidents whose predecessor was from the opposite party usually win re-election. George Bush Sr. doesn't count in this respect as he succeeded Reagan, and asking the electorate to give Republicans a fourth consecutive term in 1992 proved to be difficult. Jimmy Carter, who barely won in 1976, lost badly in 1980 in the context of massive inflation and a weak economy. Meanwhile from 1996 to the present, every president has successfully received two terms, and the successor has always been from the opposite party.

I'm not a Trump fan in the least, but this pattern should be a sobering reality check to Democrats hoping to unseat him in 2020, especially if the economy is doing well and there is no major international crisis affecting the US. The electoral maps of 1992 and 1996 were highly similar, as were 2000 and 2004, and the same for 2008 and 2012. Trump is extremely polarizing, with very strong support from partisan Republicans and very little from the rest of the electorate. So unless there are truly disruptive circumstances for Americans, the odds are strong he'll win narrowly once again in 2020, and if he gets ousted, it will be by a close margin in a very bitterly fought contest. The odds of a landslide blue wave in 2020 are very low despite the great desire of many to see him removed from office.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 PM

1,923 posts, read 84,063 times
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, he will never win again!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Historically, incumbent presidents whose predecessor was from the opposite party usually win re-election. George Bush Sr. doesn't count in this respect as he succeeded Reagan, and asking the electorate to give Republicans a fourth consecutive term in 1992 proved to be difficult. Jimmy Carter, who barely won in 1976, lost badly in 1980 in the context of massive inflation and a weak economy. Meanwhile from 1996 to the present, every president has successfully received two terms, and the successor has always been from the opposite party.

I'm not a Trump fan in the least, but this pattern should be a sobering reality check to Democrats hoping to unseat him in 2020, especially if the economy is doing well and there is no major international crisis affecting the US. The electoral maps of 1992 and 1996 were highly similar, as were 2000 and 2004, and the same for 2008 and 2012. Trump is extremely polarizing, with very strong support from partisan Republicans and very little from the rest of the electorate. So unless there are truly disruptive circumstances for Americans, the odds are strong he'll win narrowly once again in 2020, and if he gets ousted, it will be by a close margin in a very bitterly fought contest. The odds of a landslide blue wave in 2020 are very low despite the great desire of many to see him removed from office.
I agree with all of your points but there is one major difference when you're comparing Trump to all previous presidents. None were so outside the norm as is Trump. This is probably what got him elected but I predict tremendous grass roots support to elect anyone other than Trump, assuming he is still in office and running for reelection.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Most of the country is overjoyed with what he is doing and understand how fortunate we are to have him at this time in our history. We were on a very frightening downward slide and no one else could have turned things around like Trump has. No one.

You are on the outside looking in.
Most of the country is not overjoyed. We were not on a downward slide. Obama inherited a recession. Within his first month in office he passed the Recovery Act which ended the recession. The pace of job losses slowed and job growth has continued ever since. The frightening down slide with Trump is that he praises our adversaries while insulting our allies. Trump and the republicans control everything yet he didn't pass any legislation in his first month. Has he passed any at all or just signed executive orders. He constantly lies to us. Even when he's called out on it he still lies. He isn't turning anything around except that revolving door in the white house.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Default It's the economy stupid. nm.

nm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I am not American .. but what do you guys from America say ?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Most of the country is not overjoyed. We were not on a downward slide. Obama inherited a recession. Within his first month in office he passed the Recovery Act which ended the recession. The pace of job losses slowed and job growth has continued ever since. The frightening down slide with Trump is that he praises our adversaries while insulting our allies. Trump and the republicans control everything yet he didn't pass any legislation in his first month. Has he passed any at all or just signed executive orders. He constantly lies to us. Even when he's called out on it he still lies. He isn't turning anything around except that revolving door in the white house.
I don't think you speak for "most" of the country.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasAguilas View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, he will never win again!!!!!!!!!!
By the way, I really enjoyed your video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3AbbF-MpdY

I never made the connection until now.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:50 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If the Democrats nominate some sort of far-left nut-job, such as Bernie Sanders or Kamala Harris, Trump will win in 2020 easily.
This is key. If the Dems put up somebody sane, I think Trump could be beat, maybe easily. I was surprised that Bernie Sanders is 76 years old. I’d have guessed 86-88 and thought he was too old. I guess that far left lifestyle takes its toll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections