U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 AM

78,079 posts, read 33,277,428 times

Advertisements

(D)'s still haven't learned that it isn't money that wins elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 05:58 AM

10,480 posts, read 6,176,962 times
Mr. Bloomberg may be helped by some Republicans.

For instance, the Third Congressional District of Louisiana. The incumbent is Clay Higgins, whom the Republicans like. He has three Democratic challengers, but it is a reliably 'safe' R district.

Yet, President Trump's attorney, Rudy Giuliani, is supporting Mr. Higgins' Republican opponent, one Josh Guillory. Why is Mr. Giuliani throwing his support behind this unknown person, including plans to campaign and fundraise for him?

It just so happens that Mr. Giuliani's new girlfriend (recall, he is divorcing his current wife, I think No. 3), named Jennifer LaBlanc, had previously worked for Mr. Higgins as a fundraiser, until she suddenly left his employment, only to be picked up by Mr. Guillory to perform the same duties.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...e-house-657981

Now, I doubt that, even if Mr. Guillory prevails over Mr. Higgins in the upcoming primary, that the voters would, in November, elect whichever Democrat wins the D primary.

However, it throws a small monkey wrench into this election. It has turned a 'sure thing' into a 'sure thing, I think'.

From the link:

"The former mayor’s foray into the race has infuriated senior party officials, who are convinced Giuliani is acting at his girlfriend’s behest. At a time when the president is aggressively working to sway GOP primaries in conservative areas where he’s popular, Republican leaders worry that Giuliani will give Guillory the imprimatur of Trump’s blessing, even though the president hasn’t endorsed in the race. The president remains highly popular in the Lafayette-area district: An internal poll conducted by the Guillory campaign this spring found Trump’s approval at over 64 percent.

“I just think this is not the proper place for him to come down and challenge an existing congressman,” said Charlie Buckels, a longtime Republican activist in Louisiana and member of the state party finance committee. “It seems quite odd to me, and I’m just disappointed.”

Old 06-21-2018, 06:49 AM

22,751 posts, read 16,193,724 times
His money. How he chooses to spend it is his business.

The Rs already have the Kochs, Adelsen, and others throwing money at their races.
Seems only fair that the Ds have a sugar daddy too.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
His money. How he chooses to spend it is his business.

The Rs already have the Kochs, Adelsen, and others throwing money at their races.
Seems only fair that the Ds have a sugar daddy too.
I want an alternative to Trump but when I see "Bloomberg is backing Candidate A" my initial reaction is that is someone I most likely would not vote for.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:15 AM
JRR

3,674 posts, read 2,209,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
(D)'s still haven't learned that it isn't money that wins elections.
I might beg to differ with you on that. As an example, it would seem that Rick Scott spending $75 million of his own money in the 2010 Florida election and winning by less than 62,000 votes out of 5.177 million cast, may have bought himself a governorship.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I might beg to differ with you on that. It would seem that Rick Scott spending $75 million of his own money in the 2010 Florida election and winning by less than 62,000 votes out of 5.177 million cast, may have bought himself a governorship.
Why didn't Hillary win then? She spent many times more than Trump did.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm not saying that money will always be the deciding factor, but there is a reason that candidates chase the $ to use. Money can tip an election. As for Hillary, there are enough reasons that she didn't win to make a list a mile long.
They chase the wrong money. Bernie raised a ton of money all without having to sell out to Wall Street.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 AM

10,480 posts, read 6,176,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why didn't Hillary win then? She spent many times more than Trump did.
It is a bit like comparing apples to oranges, to my mind. Governor Scott had to win only the popular vote. Ms. Clinton, though winning the popular vote, had to win the electoral vote, which she failed to do. As noted above, she made the tactical mistake of ignoring the Rust Belt states; Mr. Trump won three such states by a total of 77,000 votes, which gave him the electoral win.

Let us not fool ourselves into thinking that 'money' does not influence elections. If so, then President Trump would not be out fundraising on his own behalf and on behalf of the Republican party. The two national parties know that money is a key, although not the only key, to winning an election.

Edward Rafael Cruz (born in land of shoes, Canada) has voiced some concern about his Senatorial opponent, O'Rourke, being able to raise more money:
https://www.chron.com/news/politics/...d-12833062.php

We have had multiple threads over the past years about how the RNC raises more money than the DNC. If money were not of supreme importance, such threads would not be needed.

Donald JOHN Trump, during his campaign, obviously benefited from being constantly covered in the news. He did not have to spend money on television ads: pick a news channel, and there he was.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It is a bit like comparing apples to oranges, to my mind. Governor Scott had to win only the popular vote. Ms. Clinton, though winning the popular vote, had to win the electoral vote, which she failed to do. As noted above, she made the tactical mistake of ignoring the Rust Belt states; Mr. Trump won three such states by a total of 77,000 votes, which gave him the electoral win.
Semantics I suppose but I see it as more of a case of Hillary losing those states.

Quote:
Let us not fool ourselves into thinking that 'money' does not influence elections. If so, then President Trump would not be out fundraising on his own behalf and on behalf of the Republican party. The two national parties know that money is a key, although not the only key, to winning an election.

Edward Rafael Cruz (born in land of shoes, Canada) has voiced some concern about his Senatorial opponent, O'Rourke, being able to raise more money:
https://www.chron.com/news/politics/...d-12833062.php

We have had multiple threads over the past years about how the RNC raises more money than the DNC. If money were not of supreme importance, such threads would not be needed.

Donald JOHN Trump, during his campaign, obviously benefited from being constantly covered in the news. He did not have to spend money on television ads: pick a news channel, and there he was.
A charismatic candidate with policies that the people support will get this coverage also. Bernie had huge rallies because of his policies not because of the money he raised. Yes, you have to have money to put on a rally but that isn't what brings the people or Hillary's rallies wouldn't have been empty affairs.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:20 AM

235 posts, read 87,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I do find it a tad ironic that trump and his supporters complain non-stop about the "media bias" but I believe it was John Kasich who said Trump got roughly 2 BILLION dollars worth of free advertising from the 24/7 networks as well as basic TV stations during the primaries. I remember watching the today show where Matt Lauer would have Trump call into the show basically every single day @ 7:15ish (prime time viewership) Did he have Cruz call in every day? Rubio, Kaisch? No he did not.

did fox or CNN declare "Breaking news" every time another GOP candidate spoke..no they didn't

If it wasn't for the media trying to drive ratings (and too Trump's credit he knew how to play that game) Trump might not of gotten as far as he did. If the equal time rules started with the primaries..meaning if Lauer took a 10 minute phone call from Trump during a time when most people have on the today show he would have to give equal time to the rest of the GOP field. If CNN/Fox said breaking news for every campaign stop for the other GOP nominees and showed it would it have worked?

Money can help in an election, it buys ad time. Trump just happened to get Free-air time. Lucky him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or