Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:12 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Actually, I didn't call anyone names. I said she made a remarkably ignorant statement and it was. Now show me where I was wrong in that assessment and deal with the issues of this thread.
Anyone who tries to shut down and debase others with statements such as yours isn't worth my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 06:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Sorry, but if you go to a top-tier law school, working for a non-profit anything is surely public interest. Harvard (Michelle's law school) is now trying to entice folks to go into public interest law by forgiving them their loans for working in the field for several years.
Sorry but on her income, its far from charity work, no matter who its for. As for Harvard forgiving them their loans, thats due to the fact that their endowment is nearly $30billion.

I guess if they forgive her loans, there goes that "student loan" argument..

Old 03-30-2008, 06:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
There is no basis for that statement. What did Michelle get because she was black? She probably can't get a cab in NYC or one to her home on the south side.
There goes a racist, unfounded, most likely very untrue statement with "no basis" if I ever heard on here..

Old 03-30-2008, 06:54 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
Yea, she chased the big bucks working for Sidley & Austin until Barack graduated from Harvard Law. Oh wait, she had STUDENT LOANS!!!
A lot of this is just class envy. Michelle Obama makes more money than you.....oh well, you need to just suck it up.....or find a better job.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There goes a racist, unfounded, most likely very untrue statement with "no basis" if I ever heard on here..
But yet they feel compelled to throw the "ignorant" bomb whenever convenient.

I had the immense pleasure of working for a large law firm who hired a few dozen fellows each year who committed to working in public service law for 2 years. The firm picked up their loan payments for 2 years. Most of the fellows were Ivy Leaguers ... why didn't Ms. Obama try for one of these fellowships? Then her whole working in the public sector bs would ring true, not hollow.

Her gall of telling people to work as teachers, etc. is bunk and reeks of elitism and yes .. ignorance. She grabbed the brass ring and how dare she talk down to other women telling them that they shouldn't do the same.

In any event. There isn't a doubt that she is one smart cookie. But she has issues that aren't very attractive. If some woman comes up to me and says "should I try to go to work for the same firm you did"? I'd give 'em a pat on the back and say "absolutely!!!" Women have the opportunity to do whatever they want. Ms. Obama doesn't think so.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:31 PM

357 posts, read 891,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
If some woman comes up to me and says "should I try to go to work for the same firm you did"? I'd give 'em a pat on the back and say "absolutely!!!" Women have the opportunity to do whatever they want. Ms. Obama doesn't think so.
Here's the source of debate in this whole, dizzying argument with seemingly no end of fuel on either side: If Michelle Obama told young girls to go for high-paying, private sector jobs, many of the same people who are upset about her "public service jobs" comment would be equally irked about her not recognizing the value of taking a job that serves the greater good and not a self-serving career. It is not an issue with her comments, it as an issue with her as a person. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 AM

No, she should have said that she had many opportunities when she was a young girl on the southside of Chicago and they should have the same opportunities too, she's proof that the American dream does exist. Simple and NICE and ... *gasp* full of HOPE!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How was my statement racist? I have empirical evidence that it is hard for a black person to get a cab in Manhattan and it is difficult for even a white person to get a cab to the southside. Real, live testimony. So there is basis and my statement is not untrue.

You should try refuting a statement instead of making allegations about it.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
How was my statement racist? I have empirical evidence that it is hard for a black person to get a cab in Manhattan and it is difficult for even a white person to get a cab to the southside. Real, live testimony. So there is basis and my statement is not untrue.

You should try refuting a statement instead of making allegations about it.
I've had the darnest time getting cabs in NYC too ... seriously, I usually go to a hotel, hand the doorman a 5 and they'll hail me one right away.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
what about the "pork fund" Obama tried to get to her as well??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections