U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 12:59 PM

33,883 posts, read 42,114,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Her win has made national news (note how this is being discussed in the general board, not NYC specific.) I'm wondering if her win, even, and especially, in a very liberal NYC district, will be used by conservatives in purple districts around the country against other Democratic candidates, as an example of who they're putting in power if Democrats are elected.
Already happening. The Democrats nominated a similar candidate for Governor here in Maryland. Others won for Legislative seats. In that case it will be exchanging one Democrat for another, just like the one being discussed in this thread. No net change from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 01:06 PM

12,842 posts, read 4,643,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Already happening. The Democrats nominated a similar candidate for Governor here in Maryland. Others won for Legislative seats. In that case it will be exchanging one Democrat for another, just like the one being discussed in this thread. No net change from it.
How is it no net change to change from Wall Street corruption to pro-worker policies? Thats huge change. Far more than the republican-democratic duopoly both swimming in bribe money from the donor elite.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
How is it no net change to change from Wall Street corruption to pro-worker policies? Thats huge change. Far more than the republican-democratic duopoly both swimming in bribe money from the donor elite.
Because those zero seniority legislators will have zero impact. They'll be put on the Inland Fisheries and Toilet Paper Distribution sub-committee where they'll wither on the vine.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No. But I'd bet he'd keep his committee assignments. Also, sitting congresscritters can change parties. If he won as an independent, he could cut a deal to rejoin the Dems, and they'd be perfectly happy to do it.
But the reason he was a high ranking member was not because he was loved by the American people or because he was smart and amazing, but because he brought in a truckload of corruption cash from New York donors. Just like Nancy Pelosi in California. Its how our political system works. The two parties are swimming in that bribe money and most representatives rely on it to fund their campaigns and power.

To get rid of some of those puppets is a good thing. Not a bad thing.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Because those zero seniority legislators will have zero impact. They'll be put on the Inland Fisheries and Toilet Paper Distribution sub-committee where they'll wither on the vine.
By that logic, we should just embrace corruption and Wall Street rule over our lives. Never kick them out. I dont see it that way. Corrupt legislators need to go. Even if that upsets Wall Street and corrupt legislators dont want to work with them.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
By that logic, we should just embrace corruption and Wall Street rule over our lives. Never kick them out. I dont see it that way. Corrupt legislators need to go. Even if that upsets Wall Street and corrupt legislators dont want to work with them.
I agree about corrupt. But, unfortunately for your world view campaign donations aren't corruption.

And I have the feeling, aw Hell I know it, that if the large donors are those you agree with you wouldn't deem that donation "corruption" but wise use of the right to petition a legislator.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I agree about corrupt. But, unfortunately for your world view campaign donations aren't corruption.

And I have the feeling, aw Hell I know it, that if the large donors are those you agree with you wouldn't deem that donation "corruption" but wise use of the right to petition a legislator.
Of course its corruption. When a single billionaire can own hundreds of legislators and bankrolls their campaigns and promises all sorts of financial rewards once out of office, it reeks corruption. Wall Street and big pharma dont spend billions on donations for the fun of it. They do it because they fund their interests. And they are getting what they want. Thats why trust in public institutions are at all time lows. Big money totally overwhelm the will of the people. Workers with no strings attached fighting back against Wall Street domination is a good thing. Not a bad thing.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Of course its corruption. When a single billionaire can own hundreds of legislators and bankrolls their campaigns and promises all sorts of financial rewards once out of office, it reeks corruption. Wall Street and big pharma dont spend billions on donations for the fun of it. They do it because they fund their interests. And they are getting what they want. Thats why trust in public institutions are at all time lows. Big money totally overwhelm the will of the people.
Funny how you don't include SEIU donations in that. Or any from the various Soros front organizations (MoveOn.org being one), People For The American Way, etc.

As I said, you agree with the positions of those organizations so the money isn't a problem.

Also, that's called hypocrisy.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Funny how you don't include SEIU donations in that. Or any from the various Soros front organizations (MoveOn.org being one), People For The American Way, etc.

As I said, you agree with the positions of those organizations so the money isn't a problem.

Also, that's called hypocrisy.
Of course I include any billionaire or millionaire using their power to bribe politicians, regardless of whether they are left wing radicals or right wing radicals.

We should have public funding of elections, not rely on rich donors to fund campaigns.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 9,327,770 times
Really, I don't care either way. From my standpoint it's trading one useless left wing politicritter for another, and the new one is a cute female. That's an improvement right there.

Quote:
But the reason he was a high ranking member was not because he was loved by the American people or because he was smart and amazing, but because he brought in a truckload of corruption cash from New York donors. Just like Nancy Pelosi in California. Its how our political system works. The two parties are swimming in that bribe money and most representatives rely on it to fund their campaigns and power.

To get rid of some of those puppets is a good thing. Not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or