Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 08:32 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times

Advertisements

In their infinite wisdom, the United States' Founders created the Electoral College to ensure the STATES were fairly represented. Why should one or two densely populated areas speak for the whole of the nation?

The following list of statistics has been making the rounds on the Internet. It should finally put an end to the argument as to why the Electoral College makes sense.

Do share this. It needs to be widely known and understood.

There are 3,141 counties in the United States.

Trump won 3,084 of them.

Clinton won 57

There are 62 counties in New York State.

Trump won 46 of them.

Clinton won 16.

Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.

In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond & Queens)

Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton only won 4 of these counties; Trump won Richmond)

Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.

These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles.

The United States is comprised of 3,797,000 square miles.

When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election.

Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.) DO NOT and SHOULD NOT speak for the rest of our country!

And...it's been verified and documented that those aforementioned 319 square miles are where the majority of our nation's problems foment.
Thats why the left hates it, the Electoral College because it makes things fair and equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 08:50 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
We really don't need repetitive threads even though you just now got this in your email.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:13 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Got to shake my head when people blindly post crap like this. I just looked at Florida, Georgia and South Carolina and Clinton won over 50 counties in just those three states.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:26 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
In their infinite wisdom, the United States' Founders created the Electoral College to ensure the STATES were fairly represented. Why should one or two densely populated areas speak for the whole of the nation?

The following list of statistics has been making the rounds on the Internet. It should finally put an end to the argument as to why the Electoral College makes sense.

Do share this. It needs to be widely known and understood.

There are 3,141 counties in the United States.

Trump won 3,084 of them.

Clinton won 57

There are 62 counties in New York State.

Trump won 46 of them.

Clinton won 16.

Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.

In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond & Queens)

Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton only won 4 of these counties; Trump won Richmond)

Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.

These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles.

The United States is comprised of 3,797,000 square miles.

When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election.

Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.) DO NOT and SHOULD NOT speak for the rest of our country!

And...it's been verified and documented that those aforementioned 319 square miles are where the majority of our nation's problems foment.
Thats why the left hates it, the Electoral College because it makes things fair and equal.
I don't see what the problem is by electing a president with the popular vote. Big cities don't elect... it's the people that vote. Why does it matter where those people live? I think a simple majority for electing a president is the most proper way... Hillary Clinton should have been the President.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Got to shake my head when people blindly post crap like this. I just looked at Florida, Georgia and South Carolina and Clinton won over 50 counties in just those three states.
Well, prove your crap posting then. Remember, data is only good as the source.
So link up your source...

Old 07-01-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
I don't see what the problem is by electing a president with the popular vote. Big cities don't elect... it's the people that vote. Why does it matter where those people live? I think a simple majority for electing a president is the most proper way... Hillary Clinton should have been the President.
Its funny how Dems dont see the problem of the Electoral, which there is none, until they lose bigly.
If we vote popular, the country would be Democrat every election due to the majority of the people vote Dem. But the electoral provides a voice for the smaller populace. Its well thought out, it is that since she lost, everyone crys foul.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:37 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Well, prove your crap posting then. Remember, data is only good as the source.
So link up your source...
You didn't. And no, this is not your work it's been passed around for months. I support the EC, I don't support post reposting old crap that has been posted here many times.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:59 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
I support the EC, which is here to stay.

Therefore, I also wonder what merit there is to this thread.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:03 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You didn't. And no, this is not your work it's been passed around for months. I support the EC, I don't support post reposting old crap that has been posted here many times.
Exactly!

Old 07-01-2018, 10:05 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Hillary Clinton got nearly 3 million more votes than Trump in 2016. She was the PEOPLE's choice for President while Trump was selected by the system called the Electoral College which not everyone's rights were equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections