Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump supporters seem to think that Trump will win in a landslide in 2020 but I think that could be especially in jeopardy if there is a recession. While Trump and his supporters believe that his trade wars and tariffs will be good for the US economy, most economic experts disagree and predict that recession will arrive in 2019 and 2020, and that this recession could possibly be worse than the last one. Unlike this last one, this one will be primarily self-inflicted. Trump and his supporters will be solely to blame for it. But, we all will have to suffer. As somebody who is still struggling to get my life going after the last recession, the prospect of another one before 2020 is something of nightmares. Yet, that is where we are.

If the recession begins before the end of Trump's first term, do you think he is done? Or, are social/cultural issues more important to Americans, important enough they will vote for Trump again anyways?
I didn't vote for Trump.

I would never vote for Trump.

But the recession was ten years ago. Five years ago, this would have been an acceptable excuse. Today? It's just an excuse.

Right now the economy is beyond full employment. Employers are beating the bushes trying to find able-bodied people to work. Go get some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 10:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Nah. People on the right are smarter than that. Try again.
Then why did many people say fake numbers and it wasn't a real recovery until Trump took office even if Obama had better jobs numbers. Explain that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
The right didn't have to do anything. Obama messed it up all on his own.
Why do you say this?

Old 07-06-2018, 11:51 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Liberals are praying for a recession. Sad.
Libs are sad......and they will continue to be in 2020.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:09 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You mean like the right would have done with Obama of course...
No similarity whatsoever --- The unhinged left is totally uncharted waters and is an embarrassment to any American, regardless of their party. At some point, being an American has to take precedence over one's party affiliation. -- Who are these Washington DC hacks anyway and why should they hold sway over anyone?

Old 07-06-2018, 10:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
No similarity whatsoever --- The unhinged left is totally uncharted waters and is an embarrassment to any American, regardless of their party. At some point, being an American has to take precedence over one's party affiliation. -- Who are these Washington DC hacks anyway and why should they hold sway over anyone?
So Republicans didn't want Obama to fail at all? I think you are misremembering the facts. I mean didn't Mitch McConnell want Obama to be a one-term president? People were clammering and warning a recession under Obama during his final years and the conditions are only getting worse under Trump, and that is without including potential trade wars.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Not yet. Check back in 2019 or 2020. It's coming. The US economy is like an ocean liner. It takes time to change course. Recessions are typically rooted in economic policy years prior to when they arrive.
you are completely right. They go up the hill and down plus take years to make the journey, but so many do not understand this.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Not yet. Check back in 2019 or 2020. It's coming. The US economy is like an ocean liner. It takes time to change course. Recessions are typically rooted in economic policy years prior to when they arrive.
though what you are saying is true that does not mean the election will be affected by the up or down swing. Plus there is more to that than you are saying. The sad thing, most people do not realize how the swings work.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:05 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
So Republicans didn't want Obama to fail at all? I think you are misremembering the facts. I mean didn't Mitch McConnell want Obama to be a one-term president? People were clammering and warning a recession under Obama during his final years and the conditions are only getting worse under Trump, and that is without including potential trade wars.
You do realize that the leaders, both elected and party, of one party want officials of the opposing party to be "one term" don't you?

To make a big deal about that statement is showing either disingenuousness or naivete.

If you want to go down memory lane we can. Democrats said the same about Nixon (that's all the further I'll go back for this response), definitely about Reagan and both Bushes. Republicans said it about Carter, Clinton and Obama.

You have a steep hill to climb maintaining that the economy is "worse" now with record low unemployment and more job openings than unemployed.

What I find interesting about the "trade war" is that those sounding the alarm have totally ignored that those countries upon which tariffs have been imposed have had steep tariffs on US products for decades.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-07-2018 at 12:18 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 12:13 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are completely right. They go up the hill and down plus take years to make the journey, but so many do not understand this.
Well, that being the case, why do liberals (A) blame the real estate recession on Bush and (B) claim the current growth is Obama's doing?

Old 07-07-2018, 12:46 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
As of right now with many companies folding under and moving or raising prices based on the proposed tariffs on U.S. products and foreign goods, it isn't helping us at all. Trump is doing a horrible job at negotiating, look at North Korea where in some circles he was saying the initial talks were a failure.

As far as companies failing; the roots of their failure grew many years before Trump - like Amazon. Nothing President Trump did can stop the eventual demise of stores like Sears/Kmart. The hand writing was already on the wall. I just had a Bon-Ton close by me for the same reason. Everybody wants to buy online now. I think eventually brick and mortar will have a revival; just not with the traditional names. We just had that one law suit that will force online sales to collect sales tax and that was one of the big incentives to buy online.

As of right now the stock market is taking tariffs in stride. If they thought or analyzed catastrophe; they would be unloading and they are not. They are the 'experts' so I would think they have a pretty good idea if his policies will hurt America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections