Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:50 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,850 times

Advertisements

I can't help but keep thinking about the speech that Obama made, in which he mentioned his white grandmothers fear when passing black men.

And, I know that this has been hased in the media...But, late's face it...He's babbling the usual half-truths, and apparently does not have the courage to stand up to the facts.

And the truth is, she was right in her fear - The chance for a robbery or a violent robbery would be twice as much around blacks than whites. She was being properly cautious...

Take a look at the Justice Departments crime figures for interraciaal crime...It is on Page 30...Her is the link:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cvus0502.pdf (broken link)

Why did Obama even bring this up?...He and his supporters seem to be also making this a "race" race...

Again, he seems to be a competent guy, and I'm sure a nice guy...But, he's just another "same old" same-old politician...

I he want's to talk about "Change"..How abot him talking to black men about staying with their wives and children (that I understand are about 75% without fathers in their homes)...You know, he can talk about the idea of the black men trying to stay home and changing their kids diapers...That would be a "Change".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 12:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,003 times
MOD CUT as a male i know men likes many women

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-30-2008 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: not needed to make point

Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I can't help but keep thinking about the speech that Obama made, in which he mentioned his white grandmothers fear when passing black men.

And, I know that this has been hased in the media...But, late's face it...He's babbling the usual half-truths, and apparently does not have the courage to stand up to the facts.

And the truth is, she was right in her fear - The chance for a robbery or a violent robbery would be twice as much around blacks than whites. She was being properly cautious...

Take a look at the Justice Departments crime figures for interraciaal crime...It is on Page 30...Her is the link:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cvus0502.pdf (broken link)

Why did Obama even bring this up?...He and his supporters seem to be also making this a "race" race...

Again, he seems to be a competent guy, and I'm sure a nice guy...But, he's just another "same old" same-old politician...

I he want's to talk about "Change"..How abot him talking to black men about staying with their wives and children (that I understand are about 75% without fathers in their homes)...You know, he can talk about the idea of the black men trying to stay home and changing their kids diapers...That would be a "Change".
He only brought it up because you rabid Clinton supporters were trying to beat the Rev Wright issue into the ground (because your candidate is a pathological liar who simply isn't all that likeable to be elected).

Obama has the somewhat unique experience of seeing the race issues from both sides, that's all. What your side should have done is left race out of it, Obama tried to.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i dont know bout his grandmother.
i know that obama would make a powerful president and so would rice.
i know this because they would be in control of the most powerful WMD
made in the united states in the last 50 years, the race card.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 PM

as a matter of fact you didnt even check the white male stats, shows you targetted one group !!!

this is real racism as compared to calling someone a N-word

Old 03-30-2008, 01:23 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
i wanna know the general male stats regards to morality before i decide how big of a racist you are.

You jumped on a stat to discrminate against black males, many of whom have done the right things and brought up their kids correctly!!!

You deserve to be sin-binned !!!
What in God's name are you talking about? You can't put concrete statistics on something as broad non-quantifiable as "morality". Surely you aren't that dense.

The stats provided by the OP are very concrete crime stats that demonstrate why a white person in justified in being more skittish around a strange black man than a strange white man. Why is it racist to point out such black-and-white (no pun intended), verifiable statistics?

Old 03-30-2008, 01:28 PM

then get me the stats on white crime, or you think it something in the genes

(careful how u answer LOL

Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 PM

357 posts, read 891,141 times
I think there is a general lack of empathy in the OP's though process. The point of Sen. Obama's mention of his grandmother in the speech was not meant to point out anything about her - she is incidental to the story. Try to think about him at that moment in his life, when someone that he loves deeply and someone who he built his life around admitted to him that she was sometimes scared of people who were similar to him. That is a very tough pill for anyone to swallow.

The OP brings up the point about legitimate crime statistics, and they back up his hypothesis - perhaps, based on anecdotal and societal experience, his grandmother was justified in harboring some fear of black men. That did not change the fact that the grandson that she raised closely identified with that same group, and it caused a great deal of cognitive dissonance for him.

These are my thoughts, but I also fancy myself a pretty empathetic person.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:36 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
then get me the stats on white crime, or you think it something in the genes

(careful how u answer LOL
First, "you" is a three-letter word. This is not text messaging, this is supposed to be a forum where intelligent people discuss intelligent ideas.

Second, do you really want to review statistics on the issue of black-on-white crime vs white-on-black crime? Obviously you don't watch the evening news. Or maybe you live in Alaska. I can dig up statistics for you, but I think that you and I, as well as everyone else on this forum, knows what they will show.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
First, "you" is a three-letter word. This is not text messaging, this is supposed to be a forum where intelligent people discuss intelligent ideas.

Second, do you really want to review statistics on the issue of black-on-white crime vs white-on-black crime? Obviously you don't watch the evening news. Or maybe you live in Alaska. I can dig up statistics for you, but I think that you and I, as well as everyone else on this forum, knows what they will show.
you presume too much especially your intelligence; first and foremost you smear Obama himself, when it was Bill who disgraced the presidency with adultery and got impeached......

secondly i want white crime and black crime period !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections