Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:55 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Hillary got millions and millions more votes than trump!
She should have been president if there was any justice
An old topic that gets explained again and again and again. Fortunately our founding fathers were smarter than you - it is not justice for a few population centers to decide the vote for the rest of the country. Wouldn't it be great if they thought of a compromise? Taking both population AND the diverse needs of individual states into consideration - guess what, that's exactly what we have today.

By the way, no one candidate got the majority vote (over 50%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 02:06 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
An old topic that gets explained again and again and again. Fortunately our founding fathers were smarter than you - it is not justice for a few population centers to decide the vote for the rest of the country.

By the way, no one candidate got the majority vote (over 50%).
So rural and southern states get to decide the vote for the rest of the country? You only think it's fair because that favors your preferences. But what would really be fair is a vote that reflect the will of all voters regardless of where they live. More people = more votes and it should not matter where they live.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:24 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So rural and southern states get to decide the vote for the rest of the country? You only think it's fair because that favors your preferences. But what would really be fair is a vote that reflect the will of all voters regardless of where they live. More people = more votes and it should not matter where they live.
Did you edit my response and leave out the part about compromise? That's a bit scum-bagish. Yes it should matter, we are the United STATES, that's the entire foundation of our country, not "United California and New York with some nobodies in between". The founding fathers devised a compromise between urban population and rural states that had their own needs and interests (California has 55 votes, Montana has 3), which was fair to all. Not fair to YOU, but fair to all. It indeed favors population while still giving the states a fair vote.

But this generated many threads as I remember back after the last election. Revisit them if you wish. But you lost that argument once the civics lessons were given - the electoral process remains and the topic is dead, kaput, finished. Look for another topic as I don't think anyone will waste time going over this again.

Edit: actually I see a current topic open on the issue, knock yourself out, maybe learn some things:
Electoral College

Last edited by Dd714; 07-09-2018 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Did you edit my response and leave out the part about compromise? That's a bit scum-bagish. Yes it should matter, we are the United STATES, that's the entire foundation of our country, not "United California and New York with some nobodies in between". The founding fathers devised a compromise between urban population and rural states that had their own needs and interests (California has 55 votes, Montana has 3), which was fair to all. Not fair to YOU, but fair to all. It indeed favors population while still giving the states a fair vote.

But this generated many threads as I remember back after the last election. Revisit them if you wish. But you lost that argument once the civics lessons were given - the electoral process remains and the topic is dead, kaput, finished. Look for another topic as I don't think anyone will waste time going over this again.
I didn't edit out anything, I can only guess you edited your post after I had already quoted it and was writing mine. Rude to call it scum-bagish based on an incorrect assumption on your part.

But no, the EC is not taking population into account, esp. when the total number of EC votes is capped and doesn't reflect increasing population numbers. MT voters have 3.6 times more power per vote than CA voters That is not equitable or fair, period.

Obviously MT is going to keep their 3 EC votes, but the only fair thing would be to add more votes to the EC so that Californians are represented at the same rate as other states. Other states are not nobodies, they simply don't deserve outside representation compared with states where more people happen to live.

And no, I haven't lost that argument, there has been a push to eliminate the EC for decades now, and eventually fairness will prevail. One person, one vote will mean something, even if people in smaller states lose their small state privilege of controlling elections.

ETA: I see you do have a habit of editing posts, so once again you added to your post after I had quoted it. This time with another insult. How civil of you. Right, isn't that what the GOP is demanding, that Democrats be more civil? Yet obviously you feel free to insult me multiple times in one post.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:05 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Hillary needs to call it a day. Yes, there have been recent presidents who came from devastating defeat, Nixon in 1960 and Reagan against Ford in 1976 in the Republican primaries, to eventually win.

Bill will always be a liability. The Clinton brand is in the tank.

Her time has come and gone. Move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why not? Hillary won in 2016 and knows Donald Trump knows she did. The demographics are in her favor in 2020, but Putin is in Donald Trump's favor in 2020.

Two diametrically opposing views from democrats. As a non committed centrist, I feel that the democratic party needs to get its act together if they have any chance of winning in 2020.

I agree that it is time to put the Clinton era behind and groom a centrist politician. But if there are still voters like the latter poster, I feel a bit sorry for the democratic party's future.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:08 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why not? Hillary won in 2016 and knows Donald Trump knows she did. The demographics are in her favor in 2020, but Putin is in Donald Trump's favor in 2020.
Very warped way to look at it, especially since she clearly lost in an election stacked for her in every possible way.

Hillary's best chance to have been president was in 2008, but she lost to her left flank when Obama got the nomination. Had she won the nomination, she would have almost certainly beaten McCain. If for no other reason, she would not have created her own mess with the horrible job she did as SoS, and her private email server.

Thus, if she really wanted to blame someone, it would have been 2008 Obama, not 2016 Obama.

`

`

Old 07-09-2018, 06:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Here's an interesting and thoughtful article about how people are duped by Russian propaganda.

There, fixed it for ya!
Hillary is doing far more to promote this idea and the "left" is not doing anywhere near enough to shoot it down. This isn't driven by some Twitter post. It's being driven by Hillary.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Trump won because Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, all states Hillary should have won went to Trump.

None of them are in the south.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Trump won because Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, all states Hillary should have won went to Trump.

None of them are in the south.
Trump won because of Russian interference and the election being handed to him on a silver platter by Jim Comey. But that's not the subject of this thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:39 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
"run"?? Heck that old bat can barely walk!
Unlike the current president who spends a lot of time in golf carts!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections