Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post

I'd go back to voting D more often if I could be assured that they would (and wouldn't) do some of the following:

No more "common sense gun control" unless it will have an effect on illegal activities and not burden legal gun owners.
I am a conservative republican--basically pragmatic small 'l' libertarian. Around July 2016 I had actually talked myself into voting for Hillary Clinton. I have read a fair amount about her. She got high marks from Robert Gates in his memoirs, and he is someone I tend to respect. He said he only knew about her what he had seen in media. He said after working with her, he vowed to never again pass judgment on a person based on media alone. He found her to be smart and very hard-working. He was secdef and she was secretary of state, so they worked hand-in-hand.

I virtually always vote for the GOP nominee but could not stomach Trump.

Then one day, July or Aug, Hillary started spouting her nonsense about gun control. Basically citing phony statistics that I happened to be familiar with. Right there I told myself that I could not vote for her. I wound up voting for McMullin, my only prez write-in vote ever. If I had it to do over again, I would have voted Trump. He's far from perfect, but as a conservative, he's been surprisingly good. Gorsuch/Janus alone cinched my vote for 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 05:54 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Jim Webb but I believe he voted for Trump

Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I am a conservative republican--basically pragmatic small 'l' libertarian. Around July 2016 I had actually talked myself into voting for Hillary Clinton. I have read a fair amount about her. She got high marks from Robert Gates in his memoirs, and he is someone I tend to respect. He said he only knew about her what he had seen in media. He said after working with her, he vowed to never again pass judgment on a person based on media alone. He found her to be smart and very hard-working. He was secdef and she was secretary of state, so they worked hand-in-hand.

I virtually always vote for the GOP nominee but could not stomach Trump.

Then one day, July or Aug, Hillary started spouting her nonsense about gun control. Basically citing phony statistics that I happened to be familiar with. Right there I told myself that I could not vote for her. I wound up voting for McMullin, my only prez write-in vote ever. If I had it to do over again, I would have voted Trump. He's far from perfect, but as a conservative, he's been surprisingly good. Gorsuch/Janus alone cinched my vote for 2020.
I wrote in my vote, too, which was a huge (yuge ) risk, given that I vote in PA. Rand Paul for me, who was even more of a stretch than McMullin. I'm from UT, and I know my parents both voted for McMullin. Like you, my do-over would be to vote for Trump. I guess with my having lived in NYC for 30 years, and having seen Trump 'run' for office before, I didn't really think Trump would be so good with his Supreme Court nominees. Plus, it would be one more vote to contradict the whole 'Hillary won the popular vote' nonsense.

Someone else posted a thread about Seth Moulton. He sounds great, until you get to the gun control part. So once again, for the OP, I will not vote for any Democrat unless they get off that particular bandwagon.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:51 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,363,837 times
I would never ever vote for a Democrat ever again.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:11 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I’m hearing Biden, Harris, Warren, Booker, Clinton, and a few others being suggested as the Dem presidential candidate for 2020. Which of these — or any other potential Dem nominee — would you consider voting for against Trump 2020?

As someone from the center/right, who could not vote for either major party candidate last time, I would listen to what they have to say. How about you?
Maxine Waters.

Or better yet, how about Ivanka?

Old 07-28-2018, 09:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I didn't answer the question asked by the OP about who Republicans might vote for. I provided information about a different question that came up during the discussion.
OK,I will buy that one!!!!

Old 07-28-2018, 10:51 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times
My choice for Democrat?

None of the above.

We're all familiar with that candidate.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:29 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
The wildcard in all this is our idiot of a president. God only knows what he'll do next.
If he's an "idiot," I'd like to know what Obama was. There's nothing that hasn't improved since he took over from that disastrous eight miserable years. The economy is booming again (better than 4% GDP ...Obama never attained even 3%) and unemployment is at its lowest in many decades. Black unemployment is at the lowest in history. Jobs are being created at a record pace. His foreign policy is working too.

This is a man who understands business, and when you understand business, you understand what's needed to stimulate it. We aren't going to be wondering how many companies are going to be leaving the U.S. We're going to be watching how many new businesses are coming in, and how many are started.

I hope he keeps doing what he's doing.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:33 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
If he's an "idiot," I'd like to know what Obama was. There's nothing that hasn't improved since he took over from that disastrous eight miserable years. The economy is booming again (better than 4% GDP ...Obama never attained even 3%) and unemployment is at its lowest in many decades. Black unemployment is at the lowest in history. Jobs are being created at a record pace. His foreign policy is working too.

This is a man who understands business, and when you understand business, you understand what's needed to stimulate it. We aren't going to be wondering how many companies are going to be leaving the U.S. We're going to be watching how many new businesses are coming in, and how many are started.

I hope he keeps doing what he's doing.
Yep LOL, think about it.... Hillary had same ole politics deep state politicians, MSNBC, NBC, CNN, Washington Post, NYT and other liberal media hammering him and he still beat Hillary but now all they can dream up is Russia paid $120k to brainwash millions of Americans. It's obvious that now they think they're going to harass Trump out of office.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
There is nobody.

The Democrats have nothing and nobody. There is no oxygen left in the room for anyone up-and-coming who may have a brain and a reasonable idea.
The Democrats are making the mistake of counting on hair-on-fire, outrage over everything and constant Trump-bashing to carry the party to victory. Wow, just wow, that's all they can offer the American people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections