U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2018, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,413 posts, read 11,718,125 times
Reputation: 10817

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
E Verify is volunteer on the federal level outside of contractors.

Some states require it , but mostly they require I-9's .

Many of us would like to see it more inclusive. The problem with the I-9's are the independent contractors that do not have to fill out those forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2018, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,292 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Many of us would like to see it more inclusive. The problem with the I-9's are the independent contractors that do not have to fill out those forms.
I-9s dont actually do anything. All an I-9 is , is a piece of paper. Employers simply check off a box online that they made sure an employee filled it out, they dont actually impute the information.

So whether they actually fill the paper out is irrelevant until they are audited or a worker is found to be illegal in some other aspect of their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2018, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,413 posts, read 11,718,125 times
Reputation: 10817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I-9s dont actually do anything. All an I-9 is , is a piece of paper. Employers simply check off a box online that they made sure an employee filled it out, they dont actually impute the information.

So whether they actually fill the paper out is irrelevant until they are audited or a worker is found to be illegal in some other aspect of their life.

Here is a company that was raided by Federal agents back in 2007: 81 suspected illegal workers arrested in Pa. - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News. It is only about 15 miles from our house. As you can see from that article my local and State government gave them about $8 million in taxpayer funds so they could create jobs here locally. So they ran out and hired a temporary agency that supplied them with the 81 illegal immigrants. To the best of my knowledge; the employer was never charged or fined for giving those illegal immigrants a job. As it was the temporary agency disappeared overnight. Of course management had no idea that 81 of it's workers were illegally in our Country. Local and State taxpayers picked up the bill to create jobs for another nation!

This isn't just in my back yard; it happens all the time. It is one of the reasons that I want better laws and I am all in favor of prosecuting all employers involved. The companies that use these temporary workers should be just as guilty at the agency that sent them the workers. That is the reason that I strongly support mandatory E-Verify for all workers and companies in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2018, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,292 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a company that was raided by Federal agents back in 2007: 81 suspected illegal workers arrested in Pa. - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News. It is only about 15 miles from our house. As you can see from that article my local and State government gave them about $8 million in taxpayer funds so they could create jobs here locally. So they ran out and hired a temporary agency that supplied them with the 81 illegal immigrants. To the best of my knowledge; the employer was never charged or fined for giving those illegal immigrants a job. As it was the temporary agency disappeared overnight. Of course management had no idea that 81 of it's workers were illegally in our Country. Local and State taxpayers picked up the bill to create jobs for another nation!

This isn't just in my back yard; it happens all the time. It is one of the reasons that I want better laws and I am all in favor of prosecuting all employers involved. The companies that use these temporary workers should be just as guilty at the agency that sent them the workers. That is the reason that I strongly support mandatory E-Verify for all workers and companies in the US.
I disagree , How is the company to know that the temp agency they hired is hiring illegals ??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2018, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,413 posts, read 11,718,125 times
Reputation: 10817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I disagree , How is the company to know that the temp agency they hired is hiring illegals ??????

For the last eight years I have worked as a temporary worker for a local company (not the same company that was in that article). I left at the end of December because of my wife's health (I could have retired years ago). The company I had worked for did extensive background checks on all of us - regardless of the fact we were temporary workers. The fact that you are a temp should not be any excuse for the corporation where you actually work. This is one big loophole that should be closed permanently; even if the workers are only temps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,292 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
For the last eight years I have worked as a temporary worker for a local company (not the same company that was in that article). I left at the end of December because of my wife's health (I could have retired years ago). The company I had worked for did extensive background checks on all of us - regardless of the fact we were temporary workers. The fact that you are a temp should not be any excuse for the corporation where you actually work. This is one big loophole that should be closed permanently; even if the workers are only temps!
One of the reasons large companies use Temp agencies is because they usually factor in them already doing all the necessary paper work like background checks and I-9's( and E-Verify)

I get the argument you are making, it just seems that you are arguing the exception rather than the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,413 posts, read 11,718,125 times
Reputation: 10817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
One of the reasons large companies use Temp agencies is because they usually factor in them already doing all the necessary paper work like background checks and I-9's( and E-Verify)

I get the argument you are making, it just seems that you are arguing the exception rather than the rule.

It might be an exception; but it worked for Iridium locally in 2007 until the ICE raid. Iridium is not a small corporation although the local plant only had about 160 workers. They are a telecommunications giant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridiu..._constellation. They have satellites provide coverage everywhere.

Most of those workers were Mexicans. I like Mexicans; I have worked with many Mexican workers. But I live about 2,000 miles away from the Mexican border and Spanish is the predominate language in my corner of our County when I go to our local stores. Of course some of that spoken language can come from Puerto Rico and other Spanish speaking countries. I live in a 'resort' County that depends on cheap labor; so it is suspicious, to say the least, that English is not the predominate language. I cannot go around asking people for their id; but I can push for better laws to deal with illegal immigration.

As a temp I worked for one of the largest temp agencies. I did not suspect them of what was done at the Iridium plant in 2007. The one I worked for runs a pretty tight ship. But there are obviously agencies that do work without ethical bounds. That is why I do not back any of the 2020 Democratic challengers as of this date. I used to be a Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,292 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

As a temp I worked for one of the largest temp agencies. I did not suspect them of what was done at the Iridium plant in 2007. The one I worked for runs a pretty tight ship. But there are obviously agencies that do work without ethical bounds. That is why I do not back any of the 2020 Democratic challengers as of this date. I used to be a Democrat.
Never seen democrats argue against I-9s so not sure what your argument is here for saying thats why you dont support Democrats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,413 posts, read 11,718,125 times
Reputation: 10817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Never seen democrats argue against I-9s so not sure what your argument is here for saying thats why you dont support Democrats

In the last few years when have you heard one Democrat stand up and say they support American workers? I started working in the 1960's and it was a totally different. Then they did actually stand up and claimed they supported our workers and homeless. They found out that we do not have the funds to contribute to their cause; so they (like the Republicans) turned to Wall Street, the military industrial complex, big oil, Hollywood and anyplace they could find a dollar. They did continue to support unions; but only in the public sector where they could not lose. The American worker lost because it translated into high taxes and greater inflation - which is what is happening now with this push to give everybody legal status.

The Democrats don't argue against I-9's because they are impotent! Those that use the system have long known how to avoid the system catching up to them. When we get a 'system' that actually works we will not have to deport most illegal workers; they will self deport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,747 posts, read 8,251,498 times
Reputation: 15475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I like Tammy Duckworth. Young, female, minority, disabled, Veteran, Midwest. "Cadet Bone Spurs". Just imagine how many ways Trump could mock her?
Boy "he" would have a field day(s).

I like Joe Kennedy and no matter what, have always liked the Kennedys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top