U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2018, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,410 posts, read 11,718,125 times
Reputation: 10811

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
As I said earlier on in this discussion, you havent articulated why you are a Republican, only why you arent a Democrat.

Thats my entire problem with all your post. All the things you hate about democrats are more or less about them" Not fighting for you" while the Republican were the ones that put you in the position of having to fight in the first place.

This is the equivalent of getting robbed, saying the police arent doing enough and then becoming friends with the person who robbed you. That was the entire point of me asking who you supported down ballot. I could forgive the argument that you supported Clinton over Trump because of Trade(even though Clinton's voting record is far more inline with your view than you think), but down ballot ????


Again, you live in a State where the Democrats were for the most part, against all the big trade deals you are also against, but the republicans were for it. Same thing for the immigration policies you talk about. And yet, you became a Republican(voted a straight ticket).

You even claim you agreed with Dems on some issues, but never list them, and in context of Who you voted for previously, you seem to pivot to who your wife voted for rather than who you voted for(unless I missed a post )

It seems completely possible that the last Democrat you voted for was Bill Clinton.

You have not shown me one reason to vote for a Democrat; which is what this thread is about! This thread has gone on for some time and I am still waiting for that 'fresh face' with new ideas. Your idea for me to go back to the Democrats is: Well at least I am not a Republican! Or you just want me to say just: I hate Trump! I am not going to do that because I still feel that our President is on the right path.

Turning an argument into all about us tells us that you have nothing to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2018, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,456 posts, read 14,373,173 times
Reputation: 15860
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You have not shown me one reason to vote for a Democrat; which is what this thread is about! This thread has gone on for some time and I am still waiting for that 'fresh face' with new ideas. Your idea for me to go back to the Democrats is: Well at least I am not a Republican! Or you just want me to say just: I hate Trump! I am not going to do that because I still feel that our President is on the right path.

Turning an argument into all about us tells us that you have nothing to offer.
Could it be that no one cares if you are convinced or not?

Your impatience isn't going to change anything, and you will surely know when the time comes what your choices will be. Until then, no one is going to try to convince you of anything at all.

Just like the rest of us, your choices will be yours alone on voting day, as they always have been. Feel free to defend as you will, but don't expect the opposing party of the moment will be operating on your own personal time limits or schedule in offering an alternative to Trump.

If you find good reason to vote Democratic, you will. If you don't, you won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You have not shown me one reason to vote for a Democrat; which is what this thread is about!
This thread is not about showing you a reason for voting Democratic. Nor was that ever my intention.... or the OP.

This is what the OP says

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you are a Democrat, who do you think is that fresh face or if you don't have anyone specific in mind at this time, from what group of people (some liberal/progressive organization, some profession, some region of the country, some identity group based on race/gender, something else), should that fresh face person come? You know, in your opinion, where should the party start looking for this fresh face?

There are no wrong answers. I'm just curious if a lot of CD Democrats are on the same page as each other and what that is or if there isn't a consensus on this fresh face issue.
So no, this isnt about persuading you , or anyone.



Quote:
This thread has gone on for some time and I am still waiting for that 'fresh face' with new ideas. Your idea for me to go back to the Democrats is: Well at least I am not a Republican! Or you just want me to say just: I hate Trump! I am not going to do that because I still feel that our President is on the right path.

Turning an argument into all about us tells us that you have nothing to offer.

The OP does not mention new ideas, just new people. That being said, you actually dont care about "New ideas". Your argument is completely ideological so lets not pretend otherwise.

Again, you claim to have been a Democrat, but never actually mention what you supported. You argue for compromise, not being in lockstep with "Party leadership" and reaching across the aisle, but you only mean that in the context of Democrats doing what Pres. Trump wants. You live in a state that democrats havent controlled in decades or sent a majority of members to congress and yet you blame Dems for things Republicans have done.

Your reasons for voting a straight republican ticket doesnt make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 04:03 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,410 posts, read 11,718,125 times
Reputation: 10811
dsjj251: The point is that I was a Democrat. The point is that any Party, that wants to win, should want to get every possible vote. The point is that you do not care if I or the others, that use to be Democrats, ever vote Democratic again. So the point is, why are you bothering if you don't even want to try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 04:36 AM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,513 posts, read 8,760,423 times
Reputation: 12192
I wish Amy Klobuchar would run, but she has announced very clearly that she will not be a candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
dsjj251: The point is that I was a Democrat.
I disagree with that point, in fact you dont even dispute the things I have said about you. If you do, say so now and actually put forth an argument to support it.

For example, who was the last Democratic Presidential candidate you actually voted for ? What Democratic Party policies did you once support, which ones do you support now ??????

Part of your argument was that you became a Trump supporter for one major reason, but that you still have Democratic values, name them instead of just vaguely claiming they exist.

Quote:
The point is that any Party, that wants to win, should want to get every possible vote.
But you have actually made it clear you arent a possible vote, thats part of my point.

You have said there is no way you are coming back(your words not mine)

Quote:
The point is that you do not care if I or the others, that use to be Democrats, ever vote Democratic again. So the point is, why are you bothering if you don't even want to try?
Again, its you who said you werent coming back(although I question you ever being a Democrat in the first place).You have said that from the beginning, long before I responded to you and in other threads at that. So you should be asking yourself that question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,410 posts, read 11,718,125 times
Reputation: 10811
dsjj251: You have your own ideas and you are not open to other ideas. If you represent my old Party there is nothing to come home to. Eventually the Party will learn they are on the wrong path; that has not happened so far. You will twist and turn and blame everybody else except yourselves. I am wasting my words on you; I will wait and see if you're playing the same tune after the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
7,623 posts, read 11,465,335 times
Reputation: 6063
Please stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
dsjj251: You have your own ideas and you are not open to other ideas. If you represent my old Party there is nothing to come home to. Eventually the Party will learn they are on the wrong path; that has not happened so far. You will twist and turn and blame everybody else except yourselves. I am wasting my words on you; I will wait and see if you're playing the same tune after the election.
I believe the same of you. Have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Please stay on topic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Jason Kander(37) - Former Secretary of State(MO), 2016 U.S. Senate Candidate, Running for Mayor of Kansas City 2019

Andrew Gillum (38)- Mayor of Tallahassee , Candidate for Governor of Florida


Jared Polis (43) - Congressman(CO-2), Candidate for Governor of Colorado




I have seen a couple of Jenny Wilson's( Utah Democratic Senate Nominee) speeches and I actually think she seems like a great candidate, she is going to lose bu a mile, but still worth mentioning. If Utah gets a 5th congressional district in 2020 and is forced to draw a ring around Salt Lake City, she could be the next congressional candidate there.

just a small note. I think there are maybe 4 people in this entire 20+ page thread who actually named new faces.

to add to my list

Stacey Abrams(45) - Georgia House Minority Leader , Candidate for Governor of Georgia

Gretchen Whitmer -(47) Michigan State Senator, Candidate for Governor of Michigan

Jared Golden - (35) Maine House of Reps, Candidate for Maine 2nd Congressional district

Chris Pappas (38) NH Executive Council, Candidate for New Hampshire 1st congressional district


Kyrsten Sinema(42) Arizona 9th CD, Candidate for US Senate- Arizona

Greg Stanton (48) Mayor of Phoenix, Candidate for Arizona 9th


Nelson Araujo (31) Nevada State Assembly. Candidate for Nevada Secretary of State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top