Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 09:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,592,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
There was a bit of talk that Colorado Gov. Hickenlooper was being groomed to run and he'd fit the mold of "fresh face" but the DNC has lurched so hard/far to the Loony Tune Left that a white male like Hick doesn't stand a chance now.
He’s been a decent governor but I think he’s too old to run for president now.

And I disagree about the white male nonsense. Democrats would absolutely vote for someone with the vitality of Macron, Trudeau or the new prime minister of Spain, Pedro Sanchez.

Unfortunately, those in the Clinton’s generation have held on to power for so long, it’s been almost impossible for those in Obama’s (or younger) age group to gain much traction or visibility on the national stage.

I don’t know who this new face might be, but I do know that I have absolutely no interest in the same old-same old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
How about someone who actually has an agenda for the country instead of for just the Democratic party? How about someone who is for the country and not just against Trump? The Democrats haven't had a real candidate since Barack Obama and he was a disappointment, just Bush light. The establishment Dems are no better than the establishment Repubs. Career politicians beholding to the big money donors that put them in office. The Dems don't need a new face, they need a conscience. Bernie ignited the party and was squashed. Had Hillary made him her VP candidate like JFK did with LBJ in 1960, they would have won. If Gore would have adapted just a single plank of Ralph Nader's platform in 2000, Nader's supporters would have given him the win. It's obvious these candidates would rather lose the election than buck their corporate donors. Until that changes, Trump deserves to win. Bush and Trump didn't win, the democratic candidates forfeited the election rather than abandon the status quo.
It’s not just the donors, it’s the party itself.
The DNC will only support whoever they believe will bring in the most money.

I read an article that detailed how prospective candidates were called in to meetings with party reps and then asked how quickly they thought they could raise X number of dollars.
There was no discussion around ideas or platform, just money.

It’s why the oldsters hang on - they have the infrastructure in place to keep the money rolling in.
The party has no interest in propelling new faces forward for the sake of new blood.
It is isn’t financially prudent.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You're wrong.
"Fresh face" means someone who has never run for President before. And just who are those "they" you mentioned?

As to whom that fresh face may be is anyone's guess at the moment. From my own observations, I can't say who it could be, but here are some possibilities:

It's more likely the person will come from state politics rather than national politics, will be young (45-50), could be female, from a minority, and the working class, and will be a fiscal conservative and a social populist.

I expect the candidate will be someone who is completely outside the national party, will be a Washington outsider, and may be from a traditionally red state, quite possibly from one of the western states.

I think it's doubtful a stone beginner who has never run for any office before will be nominated, but the candidate will have some local/regional/state experience in a legislature, county commissioner, or city council.

Basically, the Democrats will follow the same pattern that the Republicans adopted before them.

Clinton was the last legacy candidate we will be seeing for some time- a candidate who had been a party functionary for a long time, missed their best shot at the nomination, and then was awarded another shot as a sort of consolation prize.
Mitt Romney was the last legacy GOP candidate, and before him, John McCaine. Both are from the baby boomers, as was Hillary, and Trump.

Obama was nowhere as much a party outsider as Trump or Bush. Obama and Bush both built a lot of state office experience before running nationally as outsiders, but Obama was a sitting Senator when he decided to run, while Bush was a recent former Governor.

Neither was from the east. One was from the west, and the other from the mid-west. None of the last 3 Presidents have been Washington insiders.

Trump is the baby boomer's last hurrah as the leading political force. The next Democratic candidate will be from Gen X. The same could be true for the Republican party in 2020 as well.

The voters in both parties are looking for fresh faces. They have been, ever since the turn of the century, and are more willing to take the risk of someone who's unknown than someone who's currently prominent in Washington.
Nice post.

While I agree with the bolded in principle, I think it’s important to point out that Obama was/is a baby boomer.
These days, it feels like anyone under 60 could be considered a “fresh face.”

Old 07-21-2018, 12:00 PM

29,378 posts, read 16,297,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
There was a bit of talk that Colorado Gov. Hickenlooper was being groomed to run and he'd fit the mold of "fresh face" but the DNC has lurched so hard/far to the Loony Tune Left that a white male like Hick doesn't stand a chance now.
Ugh.

No one on this website should use the phrase "DNC" its clear in context, most of you have no idea what it is or what it does or its "ideology"/how far left it is/isnt.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you are a Democrat, who do you think is that fresh face or if you don't have anyone specific in mind at this time, from what group of people (some liberal/progressive organization, some profession, some region of the country, some identity group based on race/gender, something else), should that fresh face person come? You know, in your opinion, where should the party start looking for this fresh face?

There are no wrong answers. I'm just curious if a lot of CD Democrats are on the same page as each other and what that is or if there isn't a consensus on this fresh face issue.
Jason Kander(37) - Former Secretary of State(MO), 2016 U.S. Senate Candidate, Running for Mayor of Kansas City 2019

Andrew Gillum (38)- Mayor of Tallahassee , Candidate for Governor of Florida

Jared Polis (43) - Congressman(CO-2), Candidate for Governor of Colorado

I have seen a couple of Jenny Wilson's( Utah Democratic Senate Nominee) speeches and I actually think she seems like a great candidate, she is going to lose bu a mile, but still worth mentioning. If Utah gets a 5th congressional district in 2020 and is forced to draw a ring around Salt Lake City, she could be the next congressional candidate there.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:10 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,874,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Ugh.

No one on this website should use the phrase "DNC" its clear in context, most of you have no idea what it is or what it does or its "ideology"/how far left it is/isnt.
Why not? The DNC is a large part of the problem with the party.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why not? The DNC is a large part of the problem with the party.
The DNC does not have the power that most people in these forums claim it does, including you.

Can you even name the previous chairmen of the DNC without googling it . Likley not unless you just looked it up for for because unlike the RNC head, the DNC chairman isnt really a public figure as the DNC is far less centralized and pretty much has no governing role outside of Presidential years when it is in charge of organizing.

"DNC" , based solely on how it is used here, is nothing more than a talking point/buzz word with no real meaning , which results in every perceived problem being grafted onto it.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
The DNC does not have the power that most people in these forums claim it does, including you.
They set the rules and despite promises to the contrary have pretty much ignored people like me.

Quote:
Can you even name the previous chairmen of the DNC without googling it . Likley not unless you just looked it up for for because unlike the RNC head, the DNC chairman isnt really a public figure as the DNC is far less centralized and pretty much has no governing role outside of Presidential years when it is in charge of organizing.

"DNC" , based solely on how it is used here, is nothing more than a talking point/buzz word with no real meaning , which results in every perceived problem being grafted onto it.
It was the same as it ever was.

Brazile-Shultz-Brazile and if you continue to go back it reads like a list of Wall Streets greatest hits. (I might give Dean a little slack there)

Old 07-21-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They set the rules and despite promises to the contrary have pretty much ignored people like me.
the DNC gets to set rules on who can qualify for running for President and how the convention itself is set up.

None of which hurt you or the candidates you support that are Democrats.

Quote:
It was the same as it ever was.

Brazile-Shultz-Brazile and if you continue to go back it reads like a list of Wall Streets greatest hits. (I might give Dean a little slack there)
Not true at all, nor is it actually a response to my comment. the point is , the DNC and its chairmen are irrelevant to much of which is spoken in this forum.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
the DNC gets to set rules on who can qualify for running for President and how the convention itself is set up.

None of which hurt you or the candidates you support that are Democrats.
Nobody's vote should have more sway than anyone else's.

Quote:
Not true at all, nor is it actually a response to my comment. the point is , the DNC and its chairmen are irrelevant to much of which is spoken in this forum.
Their cheating was very much pertinent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections