Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:04 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,971,515 times

Advertisements

This so called healthcare crisis is because why?

I am a college student and work full time. I pay 33 dollars a month for health insurance through my employer. My salary is only 21,000 a year.

Btw does anyone remember why Clinton was elected? His largest campaign issue of healthcare reform went no where. Then Bush proposed a plan no one like so what would you people like to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,430,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Btw does anyone remember why Clinton was elected? His largest campaign issue of healthcare reform went no where. Then Bush proposed a plan no one like so what would you people like to see?
universal health care and the majority of americans agree with me

Old 03-31-2008, 01:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,839,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
how is it off topic, where in the constitution does it say there cant be any social programs, where does it say you cant provide people with health care, education, etc...
First.. off topic

"yeah and the constitution says you cant illegally wiretap and bush and co. still do it"

Topic of thread is McCain and his plans about healthcare, not Bush's wiretapping..

As for the rest, this country was formed and established as 13 original states, under the understanding that each 13 different states had the rights to establish their own laws and govern their own individual choices, (like police, educational, healthcare etc).

Thats very clearly the reason why things like insurance companies, and banks do not have the authority right now to cross state lines, which limits competition.

Until the federal goverment gives insurance companies, banks, and other similar regulated businesses regulated by state agencies, the authority to cross state lines and operate on a national basis, your jumping the gun.

You cant federalize require people to buy insurance off insurance companies before you give them (insurance and banks) the authority to cross state lines to do business.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
universal health care and the majority of americans agree with me
Looks like that is only conditional.

ABCNEWS.com : U.S. Health Care Concerns Increase

Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,814,268 times
Quote:
so according to you, the govnt has no responsibility whatsoever?

than whats the point of having a govnt in the first place?!?
Security and to make certain the states play nice.

Obviously that ideal is long gone but really. . . do you think our forefathers broke free from England so that we could set up our own retirement plans? These two issues -- retirement and healthcare are going to be critical as our population ages and our medical capabilities increase. Responsible gov't should acknowledge that they gone too far down these path and encourage people to take steps to ensure their own retirement/healthcare. And responsible, bright individuals should be running from gov't promises to hold their hands. Unfortunately, both are in short supply. "Where is the gov't to support me?" is now our nation's rallying cry.

If you want the gov't to manage all aspects of your healthcare, McCain may not be your guy.

Got me thinking that perhaps I sell Congress and the Social Security Administration short. Perhaps there is a niche market for those who'd prefer that the SSA manage their retirement accounts instead of a private brokerage type.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
First.. off topic

"yeah and the constitution says you cant illegally wiretap and bush and co. still do it"

Topic of thread is McCain and his plans about healthcare, not Bush's wiretapping..

As for the rest, this country was formed and established as 13 original states, under the understanding that each 13 different states had the rights to establish their own laws and govern their own individual choices, (like police, educational, healthcare etc).

Thats very clearly the reason why things like insurance companies, and banks do not have the authority right now to cross state lines, which limits competition.

Until the federal goverment gives insurance companies, banks, and other similar regulated businesses regulated by state agencies, the authority to cross state lines and operate on a national basis, your jumping the gun.

You cant federalize require people to buy insurance off insurance companies before you give them (insurance and banks) the authority to cross state lines to do business.
i can guarantee you that that idea most likely wont work, letting people buy insraunce in another state wont really de crease the costs, it reminds mind of when they de regulated the energy market, saying it would cause increased competition and thus reducing costs, costs of energy has since skyrocketed

Old 03-31-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Looks like that is only conditional.

ABCNEWS.com : U.S. Health Care Concerns Increase
thats funny, because currently the us has the second higest waiting times in the industrialized world

Old 03-31-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
i can guarantee you that that idea most likely wont work, letting people buy insraunce in another state wont really de crease the costs, it reminds mind of when they de regulated the energy market, saying it would cause increased competition and thus reducing costs, costs of energy has since skyrocketed
I have evidence that shows you that your wrong..

People buy online ALL the time because its cheaper somewhere else..

Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
thats funny, because currently the us has the second higest waiting times in the industrialized world
It said waiting list not wait time.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
has nothing to do with the post.

US has the highest waiting times due to the fact that people go to the hospital for a cough rather then their local doctors.

People who cant afford or dont have insurance, still gets medical care.

Get rid of the law that says that hospitals have to care for the sick regardless to ability to pay and see how many people (out of the 10% that dont have insurance) buy it, or go to their local doctors office instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections