Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 12:17 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Such a sad day for you Old Gringo. You are left with nothing but posting links to internet mimes.
Ah, Kitty...

Back to posting all about ME again.

Carry on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 12:30 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
The RNC has their work cut out for them if they run Trump.

1. They won't be running against Hillary
2.His campaign will be hard to staff and I'm guessing the campaign will steer clear of shady staffers. (with Russian connections)
3. Russia will be kept at arms length by US cyber security,they have been warned
4. Trump now has a record for the DNC to run against.
5. Collusion,prostitutes,pay offs, indictments, etc. could drag on for two more years.

Everything from the Trump playbook is generations old.Tariffs, Tax breaks, regulation roll backs sound like Reagan era or before. Nothing new or bold from him so far.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 07-25-2018 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 12:57 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawayalot View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if Old Gringo could "grab waldo by the kitty" (as if she's real), and her rare un-faked orgasm (again, as if she is real) could get the USA back to the work of setting an example for our planet?
Eew!

I need to get that image out of my mind. That’s asking wayyyyyy to much of Old Gringo.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:19 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
In other words, Democrats forgot to (literally, from your words) buy black votes in 2016. Guess they learned their lessons and the taps will open in 2018/2020.

You do realize that white conservatives were and are paid to campaign, cold call, and canvass for Republican candidates too right...lol

Funny that many of you comment that "jobs" are important to Rust Belt and/or white male voters and should be a factor in choosing to vote/support a candidate but not for black voters - hiring black people for actual jobs is "buying a vote" but subsidizing jobs for white people isn't....

Hopefully they will learn their lessons. I've never had a paid campaign job but I do have family members who have worked on those jobs. They are temporary jobs BTW and usually black retirees (people who have the free time and who are actual serial voters) are offered those positions and they help those people in their finances and those people in turn help turn out votes. Grass roots campaigning has always involved paid temporary workers.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:43 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If you lived near Puget Sound, with whales and sea otters, maybe it would be different. Seattle didn't tell the rest of the country not pollute, they can pollute their areas all day long. Call that elitist if it feels right but people in the west are tired of making an issue about the environment. It's just easier to say "fine, pollute your area and leave ours alone". To me, that sounds extremely reasonable.

https://www.afar.com/places/puget-so...ldlife-seattle

Buzz's Marine Life of Puget Sound: Marine Mammals of Puget Sound

https://thewhaletrail.org/event/2015...pdate/img_0239

What we know without a doubt is if Republicans controlled Seattle, Puget Sound would be destroyed in weeks.

This is very educational for me. I won't elaborate but it's good to know. I could say, for example, it was Democrats that fought to save the auto industry in Michigan and the Rust Belt but it is what it is. This does further confirm my thoughts that it's best if the West regionalizes away, does not hire from red states and focuses on the success of their own economy.

On the bold - it actually was Democrats who did this in 2010 in regards to the bail out of the auto industry. That was one particular policy initiative...

When it comes to black America - you and others like to put what I and many black people call our "beautiful struggle" into a box that climaxed in 1965 and the Civil Rights Act when black Americans have been active for our rights since the 18th century (1700s).

Black people have been forcing the tide since the beginning of this nation. A black man was the first man killed during the Revolution. Over 25 of my own relatives/ancestors fought in the Civil War. That War would not have been anything about freeing slaves if it had been left up to Lincoln and white Republicans of the day - it was because of the persistence of black abolitionists primarily Frederick Douglass and what I call his "posse of black abolitionists" that the Emancipation Proclamation was pushed and why Lincoln let black soldiers into the war and made it a "moral" war. Black Americans have always believed in the sentiment of liberty and justice "for all" not just a particular few. And black Americans have always been active in this nation from a political perspective. We use the media (including our own) and we have our own institutions in which we advocate for ourselves. This is an historic cultural tradition for us and the idea that white people did anything significant "just because" for people like me especially is a ridiculous idea. If black people had not made a stink, whites would not have done anything or ever realized how hypocritical and immoral they were being. And from a political party perspective - there is no dominant party in relation to benevolence for black Americans. As noted - Lincoln was a Republican and they "freed the slaves" if credit needs to be given from a political party perspective. Republicans were partially founded to support abolishing slavery (they just primarily wanted to do it in a way that black Americans felt was not in their/our best interests - colonization of Africa and/or other places around the world was a major goal of many Republicans including Lincoln - kicking black people out of the country). Democrats only passed the Civil Rights Act because of JFK being assassinated in 1964 and then the 1968 version for Fair Housing was because of MLK being assassinated. For me, it really was an "I'm sorry" for being a country of complacent, white supremacist a$$holes sort of thing. Black people primarily starting voting Democratic in extremely high numbers after Nixon (over 80%) and that was because more black candidates joined and ran under the Democratic ticket - not because of the benevolence of white liberals/Democrats - they were supporting black people/candidates. The reason why many of us still support Democrats is because many of us primarily still support black people/candidates who run and who solicit our votes/support and speak on issues of importance to us. Trying to act like you did anything for us or our "rights" is condescending from a party perspective. Candidates who come and speak on issues of importance focus on items that they've researched and know to be ones that the state and/or local community desires. Jobs is always a desire for all Americans, including black Americans (not just any job either - well paying jobs for the most part or some supplemental income). Black Americans are also very focused on our neighborhoods/communities, contrary to what people believe about us. We are more likely to volunteer for example than other demographics in our communities and we like to support our community businesses, institutions, and organizations. Our media outlets support the community in a variety of ways (most notably giving people jobs) and so not spending advertising dollars and getting the message out that you value us as voters in our own neighborhoods/communities is a slap in the face and indicative of someone taking advantage of a community to some of us. If you have no policy initiatives or actions that support us - many feel we should not support you since neither the liberals or conservatives really have our best interest at heart when it comes to party platforms anyway. I agree that neither of them are all that great for black people as a whole either. I think too many white Democrats are actually similar to things you have mentioned in that you think you have some sort of legacy of benevolence to black people in this country when you don't. Luckily most of you white liberals, the main thing you have going for you, is often you listen - especially in the Rust Belt we have a lot of white Dems/liberals who listen to black people in our communities and our concerns. They don't do like you west coast liberals all the time and act like we owe you something because we don't and in the Midwest that sort of attitude just doesn't fly. That sort of attitude gets you losing the electoral votes of Michigan by 11000 votes.

Evidence: Weaker Democratic support in Detroit and Flint made Trump stronger in Michigan

From the link about Genessee County (Flint):
Quote:

Clinton's margin of victory was 52-42 percent -- a 19,000 vote advantage, but not close to Obama's performance in 2012 against Republican Mitt Romney -- a 63-35 percent win and 57,000-vote cushion.

On Saginaw County (Saginaw) black voters:

Quote:
Turnout in precincts on the East Side of the city of Saginaw Tuesday ranged from 41 to 51 percent -- areas that are predominantly black and Hispanic.

Saginaw had 60% turnout in 2012.

Also:

Quote:
worry about turnout in Michigan cities with the highest percentages of black voters surfaced most in recent days.
"What I heard way too much of was -- I feel like I'm just voting for the lesser of two evils," Williams said. "That doesn't give you the push to vote."

She lost Michigan by about 11,000 votes. If she had made better relationships with the blacker areas of the state, she would have won the state - same could be said in part in regards to WI with both black and white voters but particularly black voters in Milwaukee. When you don't engage your voters they will not come out for you. She also failed to realize that knowing some old black Reverend isn't going to get you the younger black voters in their 30s to 50s in particular. I am in that range. We are much more educated and not as loyal to party than our parent's and grandparents' generations who had pictures of JFK and MLK in their houses when we were growing up like they were gods. We are much less trustworthy of people who do nothing to court our votes or who focus on things that are not important to us (many of the issues super liberals focus on are not important to us).

It would behoove you to realize that this is the case and that Democrats cannot win without black voters so they better get out and do what they need to do to engage with black voters again. The best way to do that, honestly is to get a black PAC to work for you (hire them), hire some young black college students and Millenials and some old black women to work for your campaign and focus on particular messages (well paying careers, healthcare, quality education - quality teachers/administrators of most importance, community policing-decreasing police harrassment/murders/de-militarizing police, after school program funding, violence reduction program funding for inner cities-would be great for the Midwest in particular to also focus on addiction/drug reduction which is something both parties are doing due to the opiod epidemic severely impacting whites - where I live poor whites suffer a lot from addiction and they and their children do need help with this).

Old 07-25-2018, 05:55 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You mean besides Seacove's random claims? They have none.
bingo

Old 07-25-2018, 06:08 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
is the fastest growing state in the country with the best economy in the country and Seattle is the fastest growing large city in the country.
Where do you get this information?

Old 07-25-2018, 06:13 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
Polls hold no merit after this past election. I love how the left brings up the popular vote like it matters. Sorry that Los Angeles doesn't control the country.
Historically, how often had a candidate been elected President through the Electoral Collage while losing the national popular vote? 5 times in 58 Presidential Elections. (1824, 1876, 1884, 2000 and 2016).

Prior to Trump, how many of those 4 Presidents so elected won a second term? Only George W. Bush is 2004.

We’re not 50 separate fiefdoms. We are a nation. People freely move from one state to another and generally take their politics with them. Historically, the will of the national popular vote catches up with the Electoral Colllege. That’s why the national popular vote is important. It’s reflective of the nation as a whole that historically almost without fail, will finally change the electoral college.

The GOP has lost the national popular vote a record 6 of the last 7 times. Ultimately, the variance between the national popular vote and the Electoral College will close, in one way or the other. Personally, I like the odds of the national will of the people ultimately prevailing.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:17 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Where do you get this information?
It's all debunked BS from yesterday, it's just cherry picked stats that are put out by a random Seattle based group pushing pro-Seattle propaganda to people just crazy enough to buy it hook, line and sinker.

If you look at the data behind the claims it's laughable.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:28 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's all debunked BS from yesterday, it's just cherry picked stats that are put out by a random Seattle based group pushing pro-Seattle propaganda to people just crazy enough to buy it hook, line and sinker.

If you look at the data behind the claims it's laughable.
That's what I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections