Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:06 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Yet "orange orangutan" beat them all, and all the Trump haters were crying on Nov. 8, 2016. "How could this be? Politico said it couldn't happen!" Some still are crying.

I'd think you guys would learn your lesson by now. But it seems not.

Gonna be another bad day for you guys come Nov 3, 2020, especially if the only hairball the Democrat party can cough up is Joe Biden again.
I wonder if the Democratic party would secretly acknowledge they can't come up with anyone better than Joe and have him run. If I were a Democrat with serious aspirations to the White House I wouldn't want to run against Trump in 2020 if I didn't think I could beat him. Why not wait till 2024, you know he won't be running then. If Joe wins (unlikely as I believe that is) he does one term, cites age as reason for not running again, then I run. In retrospect, this might have been the path in 2008. If Hillary was ever going to be President that would have been her time to do it. Instead, BO prevails, and does a great deal of damage to the party during the 8 years he had. Hillary is a failed candidate now, both for the nomination and as a candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 04:13 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Tim Kaine is seldom mentioned as a presidential candidate, but I think he would do well.
What makes you say this?

Old 08-02-2018, 04:32 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Trump's approval ratings stink worse than any other president when you view them over time. His average approval rating today is 41.3% according to Politics 538. If you look at RealClearPolitics his average approval rating today is 43.5%. What is most noteworthy about Trump is that neither poll can identify any point between January 20, 2017 and today when Trump had a net positive approval rating. He's never been popular and won't be popular even if he somehow sneaks back into office in 2020. Frankly, its hard for someone who is seen as a garbage pile of profanity, crudity, and nastiness to win reelection even when he claims credit for a good economy he didn't create.

The biggest concern I have is that the democrats will snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory by nominating an unelectable candidate. Biden is electable, but may not be the strongest the dems have to offer. Personally, I'd like to see someone a bit younger than Joe. Tim Kaine is seldom mentioned as a presidential candidate, but I think he would do well. I've seen New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu interviewed on t.v. and I think would be a good candidate. There are lots of good quality democrats who would do well. What we don't need is a "Bernie Sanders" or an Elizabeth Warren. Nominating either of them may very well hand the next four years back to Trump.

Have you seen this poll: Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports® He isn't doing too bad for stinking!

Old 08-02-2018, 04:49 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Have you seen this poll: Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports® He isn't doing too bad for stinking!
He is doing about as well now as Obama in 2010. Next, look what happened to the democrats in the 2010 election.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
He is doing about as well now as Obama in 2010. Next, look what happened to the democrats in the 2010 election.

I do not see Biden as a serious contender. It will never happen.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
What you are doing is called "cherry-picking". You find one poll out of ten that has Trump a point or two up and claim that is representative.

Quinnipiac has Trump at a 38% approval by way of comparison. I think that poll result is wrong because it is too low.

The averages are what count and as I said: 538 politics average is 41.3% approval; RCP average is 43.5%

Old 08-02-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
What you are doing is called "cherry-picking". You find one poll out of ten that has Trump a point or two up and claim that is representative.

Quinnipiac has Trump at a 38% approval by way of comparison. I think that poll result is wrong because it is too low.

The averages are what count and as I said: 538 politics average is 41.3% approval; RCP average is 43.5%

No I don't cherry-picking! We have played this game the last election. We were told that Trump did not stand a chance and we have been calling him Mr. President ever since. Many on this forum played this game and we perpetually reminded them that it isn't over until it is over. Some of the best pollsters in the Country went home with egg on their face last election.

As far as if Biden leads or not; just look at what he is up against. Our economy is still going strong. We have not been in any wars. We are fighting for 'fair' trade deals. And no big scandals have hit the news. To me it looks like Trump is in his rocking chair and right where he wants to be for 2020. Biden is an old has-been and will remain a has-been. The Democrats need some excitement in their lives.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:34 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
I do not see Biden as a serious contender. It will never happen.
Anyone nominated will give Trump a close race, and thus be a “serious contender”. I’ll believe he’s popular enough to win the national popular vote when I see it. He was elected by a strategically placed minority. If he’s fortunate enough to be re-elected, it will most probably be by the same route.

Historical note. Only 5 Presidents have been elected without winning the national popular vote (5 times in 58 elections). Of the 4 so elected before Trump, only one won re-election (George W. Bush in 2004).

Old 08-02-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Anyone nominated will give Trump a close race, and thus be a “serious contender”. I’ll believe he’s popular enough to win the national popular vote when I see it. He was elected by a strategically placed minority. If he’s fortunate enough to be re-elected, it will most probably be by the same route.

Historical note. Only 5 Presidents have been elected without winning the national popular vote (5 times in 58 elections). Of the 4 so elected before Trump, only one won re-election (George W. Bush in 2004).

Regardless of what happened in the past; this is not the past and you have no guarantee. President Trump's crowds are still large and he gets them fired up. Any fire under Biden went cold with the last ice age!

Old 08-02-2018, 06:34 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Regardless of what happened in the past; this is not the past and you have no guarantee. President Trump's crowds are still large and he gets them fired up. Any fire under Biden went cold with the last ice age!
In the FiveThirtyEight average of Polls, which compensated for house effect bias in the various pollsters, Trump has an approval of 41.4% and a disapproval of 52.8% for a -11.4% approval nationally.

https://politicalwire.com

Donald Trump remains the most unpopular President in the modern polling era. Any Democrat nominated will give him a very competitive race. If you think otherwise, you need to step out of the cultist bubble and get some fresh air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections