Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

For every knock on Beto, I can produce one on Cruz. I just got this weeks gimme money from Cruz. He is still lying. Guess that's why Trump's lies don't bother him.

Some have legitimate reasons for wanting ICE reorganized. It was put together after 9-11. We have new worries now. And Chertoff has made enough money.

Some of us really want to know what the majority party wants to do about DACA and immigration. Personally, I support giving kids brought here by their parents green cards. And a way to get in line for citizenship.

Nobody has ever come up with a way to deport all those who are here illegally. How much will it cost? How long will it take? Should the builders in Texas who have gotten rich over the past 25 year hiring illegals need to pay any of that? How about Bo Pilgrim?

The problem is nuanced. And needs congress to do their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 07:23 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
For every knock on Beto, I can produce one on Cruz. I just got this weeks gimme money from Cruz. He is still lying. Guess that's why Trump's lies don't bother him.

Some have legitimate reasons for wanting ICE reorganized. It was put together after 9-11. We have new worries now. And Chertoff has made enough money.

Some of us really want to know what the majority party wants to do about DACA and immigration. Personally, I support giving kids brought here by their parents green cards. And a way to get in line for citizenship.

Nobody has ever come up with a way to deport all those who are here illegally. How much will it cost? How long will it take? Should the builders in Texas who have gotten rich over the past 25 year hiring illegals need to pay any of that? How about Bo Pilgrim?

When the minority party is calling for open borders, calling for ICE to be dismantled, and attacking efforts to enforce the law as written now and deport illegals, fat chance of that happening.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

ICE does not need to be discontinued to be re-organized if that is what is needed. I would never support someone who wanted to see it come to an end.

I do believe in giving green cards to kids that were brought here illegally and yes, give them a way to citizenship, but they need to indeed, make the effort to become citizens. Some would rather stay but not bother to become citizens

Old 08-11-2018, 09:41 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ICE does not need to be discontinued to be re-organized if that is what is needed. I would never support someone who wanted to see it come to an end.

I do believe in giving green cards to kids that were brought here illegally and yes, give them a way to citizenship, but they need to indeed, make the effort to become citizens. Some would rather stay but not bother to become citizens
I'm torn on the issue of citizenship for people who came this country as children through no fault of their own. These are people who, for the most part, know nothing but America and, as mentioned above, are faultless in how they got here.

I, however, haven't called for citizenship because I think it'll encourage even more lawlessness at the border as parents come here with their young children in an effort to evade capture for years and hope their children are eligible for citizenship at a future date.

I've, thus, pushed for legalization (not citizenship) for people in such situations. Legalization allows them to work, etc., but denies some of the benefits of citizenship, including the right to vote. I think that's a fair balance. And, note, even now, people in this boat have a pathway to citizenship. It just involves them going back to their countries of birth and waiting in line.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I am all for making automatic citizenship not available for babies born in the US to persons who are not legal, permanent residents or citizens themselves---
No more automatic citizenship for the children of the wealthy who can afford a botique hospital in LA or Seattle or NYC or the indigent having one in the back of a coyote's van in Brownsville, TX or a detention center...

And for some of these people who come illegally--going back home and waiting in line could mean they go to prison or are "lost" because of their government's actions against them...
And do you really think you can trust this current admin not to penalize these people because they have tried to "jump the line" and enter illegally--even as asylum claimants???

Miller is already trying to evict foreign nationals who have LEGAL status...
Trump really only wants Europeans--like himself and his wife...and the ones he hires at MarALago...

Old 08-11-2018, 03:19 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I am all for making automatic citizenship not available for babies born in the US to persons who are not legal, permanent residents or citizens themselves---
No more automatic citizenship for the children of the wealthy who can afford a botique hospital in LA or Seattle or NYC or the indigent having one in the back of a coyote's van in Brownsville, TX or a detention center...

And for some of these people who come illegally--going back home and waiting in line could mean they go to prison or are "lost" because of their government's actions against them...
And do you really think you can trust this current admin not to penalize these people because they have tried to "jump the line" and enter illegally--even as asylum claimants???

Miller is already trying to evict foreign nationals who have LEGAL status...
Trump really only wants Europeans--like himself and his wife...and the ones he hires at MarALago...
And yet Trump offered 2 million people a path to citizenship if the congress would work with him on his other stuff. The wall (which would work in some places but not in others), merit based immigration (the same as Canada and Australia), and enforcement. They didn’t want that, so it couldn’t happen. Instead of resistance, it would have been awesome if they had called Trump’s bluff and given him what he wanted. I think Trump would have signed a bill offering things like that, and Democrats may have gained at least a million voters that way. But they would have lost a great divisive campaign issue. So we all lose because politicians only think of their own power.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:27 PM

I personally wouldn't trust Trump to do what he says if it would benefit the DNC--
I know that what he supposedly was willing to sign sounded (from Trump) like he was cooperating but he is the one who backed away from that promise when they --the senators from both sides--managed to reach a consensus...

Half the time he won't do something to benefit the GOP in general
He gets lot of his "advice" from people like Miller and others who don't want to amend the immigration situation--they want to eradicate it

at the very beginning of Trump's campaign--and before when he was talking to Steve Bannon on his Breitbart radio show Trump sounded almost reasonable about having foreign students become citizens because so many of them are exceptional and innovative--
Could create the next Google---
And Bannon kept working on him and eventually Trump went backward in his thinking and was willing to back away from getting those smart young US-college education foreign nationals as US citizens...
Trump is so maliable --squeeze cheese--

Old 08-11-2018, 04:54 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Beto is a current CongressCritter representing El Paso. The bad news for him is that he has a clear voting record ..... and of course the Video Tape is always an issue for these folks. So - it comes down to "who ya gonna believe". Your own eyes or the "nuance" of the Politician and their lap dog Leftist Media?

H.Res. 990: Supporting the officers and personnel who carry out the important mission of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement. |GovTrack
Whereas the national security interests of the United States are dependent on the brave men and women who enforce our Nation’s immigration laws;

Whereas abolishing United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) would mean open borders because it would eliminate the main agency responsible for removing people who enter or remain in our country illegally;

Whereas calls to abolish ICE are an insult to these heroic law enforcement officers who make sacrifices every day to secure our borders, enforce our laws, and protect our safety and security;

Whereas abolishing ICE would allow dangerous criminal aliens, including violent and ruthless members of the MS–13 gang, to remain in American communities;

Whereas during fiscal year 2017, ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) arrested more than 127,000 aliens with criminal convictions or charges;
(more facts at the link)

That the House of Representatives—
(1)expresses its continued support for all United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers and personnel who carry out the important mission of ICE;
(2)denounces calls for the abolishment of ICE; and
(3)supports the efforts of all Federal agencies, State law enforcement, and military personnel who bring law and order to our Nation’s borders.
BETO Vote ...... NAY

He now claims to be "nuanced" about ICE (NAY was not reallyNAY ) - but when the Rubber met the Road, he was in favor of "Abolish". Most of the Dems took the cowardly vote of "present" -- not the Brave Beto, he proudly voted NAY to ICE and it's work. That's fine, he can't unring that bell with a lot of "nuance".

Nor can he unring the video bell that he would vote to Impeach President Trump.
That’s really sad when these snake oil politicians put the rights of illegals over those of citizens. I just saw a video of his recent San Antonio visit where the first thing that came out of his mouth was about those illegals and their separated kids. Give me a break! I will never find a perfect candidate, but I would like Texas to be a two-party State again like it was before. I’m so tired of one party never having to work for my vote and pretty much just ignoring me. I will most likely hold my nose and vote for Beto-sucks.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:14 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Who built your house Hopeless?

When the builders started bring in illegals back in the 70s nobody said a word. UT and the Texas Tribune tell us 1/2 the construction industry in Texas is illegal. Did we expect them to remain single and celibate while they built our houses, dressed the chickens and did all the prep and cleanup in the restaurants?

Mnita and I rarely agree, but we are together on the DACA kids. That's common ground and a start. It is time the politicians get real.

Their doing nothing has just made matters worse. At least Beto tells us what he thinks. Many tell us what they want us to hear, and then do as their donors tell them. John Cornyn is one.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Who built your house Hopeless?

When the builders started bring in illegals back in the 70s nobody said a word. UT and the Texas Tribune tell us 1/2 the construction industry in Texas is illegal. Did we expect them to remain single and celibate while they built our houses, dressed the chickens and did all the prep and cleanup in the restaurants?

Mnita and I rarely agree, but we are together on the DACA kids. That's common ground and a start. It is time the politicians get real.

Their doing nothing has just made matters worse. At least Beto tells us what he thinks. Many tell us what they want us to hear, and then do as their donors tell them. John Cornyn is one.
Re Hispanic labor and families
We have friend who for probably 10 yrs or so built homes in the Colleyville area--suburb in Tarrant County
He used Hispanic labor--usually mostly illegal--because they were dependable, cheaper, and worked hard
He tried Anglos but for things like brick/masonry work or trim work they just wouldn't put in the effort even if they were paid higher--according to him--
I saw the work they did on his houses and it was exceptional
There was time when it was FREEZING--and I mean cold--

And normally builders can't work then unless the house is pretty completed and they have heat--
Even space heaters can't really fill a space if they need to paint when it is below freezing...
His guys came to work--they brought their own butane/kerosene heaters trying to get it warm enough inside to make moster and do the fireplace and some other stuff because they wanted to be paid and go home for Christmas---
None of those guys bought their families with them---
They lived all together in some rental house or trailer, drove in together, shopped/cooked/did laundry all for themselves because their families were back in Mexico
They went home for like two weeks around Christmas and came back after their trip home...

Now I know that is not the case with every undocumented/illegal worker--
But not all of them come with families
Some of them make relationships, get married or just live with women for temporary or longer--have kids

There is no one-size-fits-all pattern to why people come or what they do when they get here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections