U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 PM

11,531 posts, read 3,156,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I, also, expect Mr. Cruz (born in Canada) to be re-elected, although I forecast some 2 or 3 points.

I actually donated $100 to Mr. O'Rourke's campaign today. I had done so, $250, in January.

I was disturbed, in checking my Yahoo mail account (which I gave for my email address, being my 'trash' email) that Beto's campaign had sent me some 100 emails over the intervening period. I am glad I did not give my 'regular' email address.

Mr. O'Rourke: accept my donation, but don't flood me with emails. It is annoying.I hope you beat Mr. Cruz, born in Canada, but that does not mean that you may abuse my email.

By the by: I also get rob-calls from Senator Cruz. Why, or how, I do not know.

I will say: I follow Mr. O'Rourke on Twitter, and he does seem to have capacity audiences at his various stops as he visits every county (254) in Texas.

Does that mean he will win? Doubtful. However, he IS making it a race. Perhaps the upcoming 'debate' will help him, or sink him. Say what you will, Senor Cruz is a skilled debater.
During one one hour or so period that that I was listening to a local radio show (in the Houston metro) there were far more calls about that issue (what I bolded above) than any other issue. People were upset. More than one person said there was no phone number they could call to get a live rep for the campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 12:43 AM

11,450 posts, read 6,199,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
BS. Before you start telling what Beto dies and does not support, why not find out by going to a rally or reading his website. he's already said he'd not vote for Pelosi. No serious person is for open borders.

You are spouting lies.
Firstly, he's running for Senate, so won't be voting for Pelosi regardless.

Secondly, anyone who opposes a wall/additional physical border security and is opposed to our government actually enforcing immigration law on all who enter our country illegally is for open borders. Such policies fail to secure the border and only encourage more illicit immigration.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:55 AM

5,214 posts, read 1,552,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Firstly, he's running for Senate, so won't be voting for Pelosi regardless.

Secondly, anyone who opposes a wall/additional physical border security and is opposed to our government actually enforcing immigration law on all who enter our country illegally is for open borders. Such policies fail to secure the border and only encourage more illicit immigration.
For someone who claims to be a lawyer and have received some type of legal education, your posts are incredibly intellectually dishonest. If you don’t believe a physical border wall is a good use of resources is “for open borders”? What tripe.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:44 AM

11,450 posts, read 6,199,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
For someone who claims to be a lawyer and have received some type of legal education, your posts are incredibly intellectually dishonest. If you don’t believe a physical border wall is a good use of resources is “for open borders”? What tripe.
We've all seen what a proper physical border wall has done to stop people from infiltrating a country (a la Israel). And we've seen what an ineffective physical border wall has led to in this country with scores of people finding ways to just walk across and into our country. This really isn't rocket science.

Folks can try to spin things as they will, but being against increased physical border security and opposing enforcement of our immigration laws as being "cruel" is being for open borders. Some may put a different spin on it, but it has the same result, which is all that matters at the end of the day. The only intellectually dishonest people are those who try to try to spin things any other way.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:41 PM

10,487 posts, read 6,183,018 times
There are some, justly as it turned out, that spoke of the number of Trump yard signs prior to the election.

I recognize that said posters were correct. There were more Trump signs out than Clinton, and Mr. Trump won the election (at least, via the electoral vote).

I mention this for this reason: I live in a 'deep Red' corner of Fort Worth, comprising the Arlington Heights and Westover Hills areas.

Yet, over the past weeks, I have been astounded at then number of "Beto" signs in these areas.

I, personally, know of one Cruz sign: on my sisters yard, with her husband being a bundler (2016) for Senator Cruz.

Now, yard signs do not really mean anything. But, we had many Trump supporters that claimed such signs do signify a trend.

I post this only because, as I was driving through a 'deep red' area, I saw a Beto sign.

Then, I saw another.

I did not see any Cruz signs (save for my BIL).

Does it mean anything? Perhaps not.

Yet, to me, the fact that the 'reddest' street, in the 'reddest' area of Fort Worth, had such a sign, is significant.

I ignored the 'yard sign' argument by the Republicans. Do note ignore my warning: the Blue Wave is real.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:55 AM

11,531 posts, read 3,156,113 times
Quote:
There are some, justly as it turned out, that spoke of the number of Trump yard signs prior to the election.

I recognize that said posters were correct. There were more Trump signs out than Clinton, and Mr. Trump won the election (at least, via the electoral vote).

I mention this for this reason: I live in a 'deep Red' corner of Fort Worth, comprising the Arlington Heights and Westover Hills areas.

Yet, over the past weeks, I have been astounded at then number of "Beto" signs in these areas.

I, personally, know of one Cruz sign: on my sisters yard, with her husband being a bundler (2016) for Senator Cruz.

Now, yard signs do not really mean anything. But, we had many Trump supporters that claimed such signs do signify a trend.

I post this only because, as I was driving through a 'deep red' area, I saw a Beto sign.

Then, I saw another.

Yet, to me, the fact that the 'reddest' street, in the 'reddest' area of Fort Worth, had such a sign, is significant.

I ignored the 'yard sign' argument by the Republicans. Do note ignore my warning: the Blue Wave is real.

^^^^ This is sort of what I was getting at with my post #33 about Beto bumper stickers in car windows in The Woodlands.

In 2016, one guy who lives on a corner near the Woodlands Country Club Tournament Course had his Trump Pence sign run over multiple times. He was so adamant about keeping it visible, he eventually paid to have it suspended from a big old tree in his front yard. Another guy (who lives on another corner, closer to the Tournament Course clubhouse) put a 'Fire Obama' sign in a front window during the run-up to the 2012 election, and left it there throughout Obama's second term. Even given the political climate of the area....I haven't seen any Cruz signs re 2018.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:18 AM

29,978 posts, read 47,196,108 times
Quote:

Then, I saw another.

We have been in FL for the summer--most of the signs out there are for local elections or primaries and we don't vote there so didn't pay attention to the spread

We came back to our part of Tarrant county--NRHills/North Hurst
Saw several Beto signs in yards driving through another neighborhood to get to ours--
Don't remember seeing Obama signs in those yards before or HRC
Too soon to tell
But hopeful because I know seeing signs means there are others who likely THINK that way but don't advertise

Old 08-18-2018, 08:39 AM

15,321 posts, read 17,534,722 times
Here's a well written article about Beto O'Rourke and his Willie Nelson moment.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/beto-orou...090027508.html

Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 PM

14,150 posts, read 7,649,534 times
https://realclearpolitics.com/epolls...urke-6310.html

Ted Cruz ahead by an average of 6.5 points.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:49 AM

2,963 posts, read 3,044,957 times
Quote:

I live in a "red state" ; Trump won by 15 points. So let's say that's roughly 60 to 45. That still means there's 4 to 5 in every 10 people that vote Democrat. It's not zero. Yard signs or no yard signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or