U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 10:45 PM

13,088 posts, read 13,437,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Wow, make assumptions much?

Living in a border state, I pay close attention to the effect illegal immigration has on our state, and it's citizens. Obama had so many loopholes in his approach to immigration, it wasn't even funny. Moving the Border Patrol officers away from the southern border, and "deportations" consisted of dropping illegals on the other side of the border, leaving them free to wade back across the Rio Grande. It was a joke.

When the left tries to make immigration enforcement racist, they come across as desperate, grasping at straws. News flash, many people that reside south of our border are brown. Nothing racist about that, it's just a fact.

Back to the OT: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0348585fb0db5

Beto is all about open borders. Surprise. Not.

I didn't make any assumptions you didn't just prove. People aren't really all that difficult to figure out.
You didn't even take the time to read your own linked article, as it certainly doesn't support what you've claimed. This lazy, hysterical thinking doesn't really allow for the time it takes to thoughtfully, yet alone thoroughly, read something. I bet you just read the title and didn't bother with the rest, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 10:49 PM

13,088 posts, read 13,437,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
They didn't refuse to adhere to their sworn duties. The Constitution reads 'Advice and Consent', but the Constitution doesn't specifically define what comprises 'Advice and Consent' in that context and, as such, whether the Senate has done so or not is a matter of opinion/in the eye of the beholder (and I'm neither a Republican, nor a Trump voter/supporter).
They do have a constitutional duty to fill a vacant SC seat with a nomination, however, and the president in office has the constitutional duty to nominate one, whether it's their last year in office or not. That is irrelevant. Even if you disregard that, long-established norms on the matter included at least holding hearings on the nominations. Again, Republicans could've at least gone through the motions and none of this would be controversial now, but they couldn't even bother with doing that much of their elected jobs. Instead, precedent has been set that has the potential to be extremely damaging to the judicial branch in the years to come.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:58 PM

1,386 posts, read 625,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
When I read this about a TownHall in Llano - I thought to myself, if I were doing a deal in Llano, I would try for Cooper's BBQ - That's where it was, Cooper's opened early for the meeting - pictures said it was packed and Cooper's holds a LOT of folks. It's not to be missed if you travel through there, some of the best BBQ in Texas, they have opened a few other locations around the State.

Yes, Cooper's has opened in several towns, including New Braunfels. TBH, Black's is much better and recently opened in NB as well. The Cooper's in NB overuses salt, to the point the brisket was inedible, sadly. OTOH, their chicken is fantastic!

Cruz has served Texas well, and we will vote for him again.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:09 PM

1,386 posts, read 625,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I didn't make any assumptions you didn't just prove. People aren't really all that difficult to figure out.
You didn't even take the time to read your own linked article, as it certainly doesn't support what you've claimed. This lazy, hysterical thinking doesn't really allow for the time it takes to thoughtfully, yet alone thoroughly, read something. I bet you just read the title and didn't bother with the rest, right?

Again, assume much?

Of course I read the article. What's your point?

<snip>

Escobar said she arrived at the conclusion that immigration violations should be decriminalized from a human rights perspective. But she urged her critics to consider the high costs of prosecuting and imprisoning immigrants, on top of detaining and deporting them.

“When we treat asylum-seekers like criminals, the next step is we have to jail them, we have to incarcerate them,” Escobar said. “It’s incredibly costly.”

The comments from leading Texas Democrats come as progressives are reimagining the immigration enforcement system in the face of the most hardline administration in recent memory. The boldest and most controversial proposal to date, first argued in the pages of The Nation by Sean McElwee, is to abolish ICE entirely.

"Reimagining" is the democrat's key word for doing away with a system that works.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:40 AM

11,347 posts, read 8,386,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Again, assume much?

Of course I read the article. What's your point?

<snip>

Escobar said she arrived at the conclusion that immigration violations should be decriminalized from a human rights perspective. But she urged her critics to consider the high costs of prosecuting and imprisoning immigrants, on top of detaining and deporting them.

“When we treat asylum-seekers like criminals, the next step is we have to jail them, we have to incarcerate them,” Escobar said. “It’s incredibly costly.”

The comments from leading Texas Democrats come as progressives are reimagining the immigration enforcement system in the face of the most hardline administration in recent memory. The boldest and most controversial proposal to date, first argued in the pages of The Nation by Sean McElwee, is to abolish ICE entirely.

"Reimagining" is the democrat's key word for doing away with a system that works.
Texas would not be going broke paying for schooling and social services had all those illegals who came for jobs came up empty. Bob Perry got rich off building houses. Guess who he hired? Then he supported the Texas Republican party for years. I'll get excited about anything Texas Rs have to say about the expense illegals cause when they give the money back. I have been asking here on CD for a long time how much will it cost to send them all back where they came from. How long will it take? Why does nobody ever mention Visa overstays. All they talk about is a wall. That tells me nobody has a plan to do jack chit. They just all want to ***** and blame somebody else. I'll believe any plan that jails those who hire illegals. We almost had e verify. Look up who sent this lobbyist over to shut it down. Butts and Bob Perry.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:48 AM

13,501 posts, read 8,497,581 times
RCP reports Cruz up 4.4%.
The following polls were averaged from 7/3 - 8/25: Emerson, NBC, Quinnipiac, Texas Lyceum, Gravis. None of them showed O'Rourke in the lead.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...urke-6310.html

Old 09-06-2018, 07:00 AM

2,963 posts, read 3,044,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where in the HELL did you come up with the definition of a Republican? I think you better check your references a little closer or maybe you need to check how many women who are Republicans do not fit your idea of a Republican. I could go on and on, but your statement isn't worth my time.
I came up with it based on Republican policy.

Generally speaking, Republican policies are designed to benefit white men.

Do they ever push for equal pay for women? No.
Do they want to limit women's rights to their own reproduction? Yes.

Do they support the LGBT community? No. They are very much anti-gay marriage. They care very much about who goes into what bathroom as well.

They support a President that considers citizens that are non-white to be not American. Remember that whole debacle with that Muslim Gold Star family and the Hispanic judge that apparently can't do his job because... he's Hispanic.

They also deride African American football players for this whole anthem nonsense. It is easy to do it because... they are non-white.

They also side by default with whites in conflicts involving African Americans. Recently, that "Stand Your Ground" case where a retreating African American man was shot by a white man. I didn't hear anybody change their stance when the county prosecutor decided to press charges because the white guy was out looking for trouble.

Do they base their agenda on religion? Most of their arguments for their own agenda are based on thousand-plus-year-old texts. When people point out that the Ten Commandments has no business on public grounds, they cry "religious persecution!"

Ok, so if you ask me:
Republicans love white men and their wives that don't think for themselves.
Republicans do not love women.
Republicans do not love the LGBT community
Republicans do not love Muslim-Americans.
Republicans do not love African-Americans.
Republicans do not love Hispanic-Americans.
Republicans do not love non-Christians.

In my original post, I was refuting the statement that Republicans love Americans. And I back up my stance by saying, if Republicans have shown that they do not love women, LGBT, Muslim/African/Hispanic/non-Christian Americans... then all that's left is white Christian men. And to hell with everyone else.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:07 AM

22,779 posts, read 16,208,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
RCP reports Cruz up 4.4%.
The following polls were averaged from 7/3 - 8/25: Emerson, NBC, Quinnipiac, Texas Lyceum, Gravis. None of them showed O'Rourke in the lead.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...urke-6310.html
Still pretty much a dead heat then, when you look at the MoE for each of the averaged polls.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:20 AM

15,718 posts, read 9,219,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
He doesn't want to get rid of Border Patrol or Customs and Border Protection.
So anyone who manages to make it into the country is home free? Nope, that's advocating for open borders.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:25 AM

18,978 posts, read 15,444,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So anyone who manages to make it into the country is home free? Nope, that's advocating for open borders.
You realize people were deported prior to ICE correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or