Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I have no idea how long you have lived in Texas/Voted in Texas .... BUT, when Texas was TOTALLY dominated by Democrats .... I always voted Democrat. How else do you have a vote that actually counts ? The Democrats dominated Texas politics for almost 100 years. Texas was BLUE

Until their corruption caught up with them (Sharpstown) and Ann Richards let herself get talked into going "progressive" over GUNS. That was the the final nail in the Democrats coffin.

We stumbled around a bit in the 1980's with a Republican here or there -- but it all came crashing down on what was left of the Texas Democrats in 1994, when Democratic Governor Ann Richards lost her bid for re-election against Republican George W. Bush, ending an era in which Democrats controlled the governorship for all but eight of the past 120 years. Republicans have won the governorship ever since. In 2002, Texas Republicans gained control of the Texas House of Representatives for the first time since Reconstruction.

Think about that for a minute. Texas has essentially had only control of the Governors House since 1994 and ONLY 3 Texas Governors - George Bush, Rick Perry & Greg Abbot. The Democrats became extinct in Texas - and often didn't even bother to field candidates in State Wide Elections ... which are notoriously difficult to win.

Texans are a different breed - historically Democrat, but a different type of Democrat and they no longer exist. Some would call them "moderate" - but I just remember them as TEXANS.

When being a TEXAN is more important than "Turning Texas Blue" ....... perhaps they will return.
I'm not a fan of Ted Cruz, many Texans aren't -- BUT the majority of Texans have no interest in Gun Grabbers, Fake Texans, Washington Battleground Texans, those that throw Tampons and wear Pink Tennis Shoes or those that few Texans even know.

Ted Cruz really wee-wee'd in his tortillas - BUT, he is correct to ask for help from the President - because Texans are pragmatic, more Texan than Partisan and even willing to give another chance to those that make mistakes and make attempts to make it right.

I predict that Trump understands Texans better than Yankee/Left-Right Coast Yankees do and he will campaign in Texas to help Ted Cruz hold a Senate Seat. We believe in 2nd chances, but not 3rd chances.

It will be interesting to watch in both 2018 and 2020. Texas is more than some sort of "prize" or Brass Ring Trophy. It's a way of life that we revere and will protect. Davey Crockett said it best and it still holds ...... You may all go to (hades), I'm going to Texas. Free and always will be.

Interesting...

Cruz is a Canadian born carpetbagger.

Beto is Texas born and bred.

Still, I expect Cruz to win. But it may be uncomfortably close.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I have no idea how long you have lived in Texas/Voted in Texas .... BUT, when Texas was TOTALLY dominated by Democrats .... I always voted Democrat. How else do you have a vote that actually counts ? The Democrats dominated Texas politics for almost 100 years. Texas was BLUE

Until their corruption caught up with them (Sharpstown) and Ann Richards let herself get talked into going "progressive" over GUNS. That was the the final nail in the Democrats coffin.

We stumbled around a bit in the 1980's with a Republican here or there -- but it all came crashing down on what was left of the Texas Democrats in 1994, when Democratic Governor Ann Richards lost her bid for re-election against Republican George W. Bush, ending an era in which Democrats controlled the governorship for all but eight of the past 120 years. Republicans have won the governorship ever since. In 2002, Texas Republicans gained control of the Texas House of Representatives for the first time since Reconstruction.

Think about that for a minute. Texas has essentially had only control of the Governors House since 1994 and ONLY 3 Texas Governors - George Bush, Rick Perry & Greg Abbot. The Democrats became extinct in Texas - and often didn't even bother to field candidates in State Wide Elections ... which are notoriously difficult to win.

Texans are a different breed - historically Democrat, but a different type of Democrat and they no longer exist. Some would call them "moderate" - but I just remember them as TEXANS.

When being a TEXAN is more important than "Turning Texas Blue" ....... perhaps they will return.
I'm not a fan of Ted Cruz, many Texans aren't -- BUT the majority of Texans have no interest in Gun Grabbers, Fake Texans, Washington Battleground Texans, those that throw Tampons and wear Pink Tennis Shoes or those that few Texans even know.

Ted Cruz really wee-wee'd in his tortillas - BUT, he is correct to ask for help from the President - because Texans are pragmatic, more Texan than Partisan and even willing to give another chance to those that make mistakes and make attempts to make it right.

I predict that Trump understands Texans better than Yankee/Left-Right Coast Yankees do and he will campaign in Texas to help Ted Cruz hold a Senate Seat. We believe in 2nd chances, but not 3rd chances.

It will be interesting to watch in both 2018 and 2020. Texas is more than some sort of "prize" or Brass Ring Trophy. It's a way of life that we revere and will protect. Davey Crockett said it best and it still holds ...... You may all go to (hades), I'm going to Texas. Free and always will be.
Born in Texas, lived in Texas all my life except about 4 yrs exiled to Shreveport for my husband's work...
All I can say is that my husband and I did two things right--
We picked sane people to marry and we raised two children who are Democrats
And in my son's case--he lives in Dallas--all his friends are Democrats--
As are most of ours
It is certainly possible to find them but we are kind of an endangered species in areas like Tarrant county
My daughter lives in FL and politics aren't as important to her but she doesn't appreciate the GOP legislature/politicians educational policies--she teachers--among other things...

Why are you calling/assuming Beto O'Rourke who is like 4th generation Texas less "Texan" than Ted Cruz born in Canada, whose parents certainly aren't Texan

My family has been Texan since the late 1800s--and have lived in American since well before the Revolution on both maternal and paternal...I think I am perfectly capable of deciding what are valid issues to judge a politician on and vote for...and your idea of what Texans think is just as valid as mine--
There are plenty of Texans who don't understand Or won't admit that their GOP legislature and governor have screwed up their state in a big way--

How long have you been a Texan? Or your family?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:28 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Really, some of you need to get rid of the 'Texas used to be Blue/Democrat' idea.

Texas, where I have lived all of my 63 years, has always been 'conservative'. While the two parties switched identities after the 1960s, the basic conservatism of Texas has not changed.

Sure, you had some outliers over the decades, but if you look at the political philosophy of most of our elected leaders, and ignore the party label, you will see this is true.

George Wallace was a 'Democrat', but only a nut would say that he was 'liberal'.

As LBJ truly said when signing the Civil Rights Act into law, "We have lost the South for a generation".

By 'we', he was speaking of the Democratic party as it then existed in the south.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:38 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
It's one poll. Many other polls, even a recent Quinnipiac poll has Cruz up by 6. Given that it is Texas and given that Cruz is an incumbent, I'd expect him to be up by 10 or more. But it isn't as close as people think it is. Maybe we'll be surprised in November, but I expect Cruz to hold his seat.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:46 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Really, some of you need to get rid of the 'Texas used to be Blue/Democrat' idea.

Texas, where I have lived all of my 63 years, has always been 'conservative'. While the two parties switched identities after the 1960s, the basic conservatism of Texas has not changed.

Sure, you had some outliers over the decades, but if you look at the political philosophy of most of our elected leaders, and ignore the party label, you will see this is true.

George Wallace was a 'Democrat', but only a nut would say that he was 'liberal'.

As LBJ truly said when signing the Civil Rights Act into law, "We have lost the South for a generation".

By 'we', he was speaking of the Democratic party as it then existed in the south.
Before many Texas racist Democrats died off (and, let's be clear, the GOP didn't start to control Texas at the statewide level until decades after the Civil Rights Act was enacted) and people became more tolerant, many in Texas were racist. But racist isn't conservative or liberal. Its racist. On many issues, including taxing and spending, Texas was represented by tax and spend liberals who supported the New Deal and other leftist policies. Now, Texans were very socially conservative back then, but then again, so was most of the country.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
It's one poll. Many other polls, even a recent Quinnipiac poll has Cruz up by 6. Given that it is Texas and given that Cruz is an incumbent, I'd expect him to be up by 10 or more. But it isn't as close as people think it is. Maybe we'll be surprised in November, but I expect Cruz to hold his seat.
Even though I know there are many people who think Beto has a chance because of how hard he has worked and how compelling his presence is, I admit that Cruz has the weight of numbers since many Texans are just numb from the neck up
Like watching a western version of The Walking Dead
They just don't understand that voting GOP because of the abortion issue is about the worst thing they can do for their state or their country or their pocketbook--despite a strong jobs market the GOP has blown the roof off the national debt, created economic policy issues, and is screwing with immigration--and Texas needs "illegals"...

And for many younger people who came to vote during Obama era--(just like their parents)
it is just about being racist--
They hated Obama because he was black

And that is from a life-long, non-racist Texan who has never voted GOP if there was a viable Democratic option
Sometimes voting GOP means choosing between someone who believes spousal rape doesn't exist and someone who has a clue...

Old 08-09-2018, 04:35 PM

I would really like to know how many posters on this thread are Texans by birth or lived here in college or moved here for work or just follow politics...
Is there anyway to separate wheat from chaff?

Old 08-09-2018, 04:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I would really like to know how many posters on this thread are Texans by birth or lived here in college or moved here for work or just follow politics...
Is there anyway to separate wheat from chaff?
I don't live in Texas but my parents were born there, grew up there, married and left for Colorado decades ago. Posts like yours are great to see but I don't expect Beto to win even though he looks like he would make a fantastic Texas senator.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I guess you could also swap "conservative" for racist since that seems to have been around since Texas was a colony of Mexico...and carried slavery into its independence and then into statehood (no deal w/o slavery) and even after the Civil War considering how blacks and Hispanics were not accorded the same legal rights as Anglos...
Texas has long history of prejudicial treatment of minorities then and now----in various scenarios...

Old 08-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't live in Texas but my parents were born there, grew up there, married and left for Colorado decades ago. Posts like yours are great to see but I don't expect Beto to win even though he looks like he would make a fantastic Texas senator.
Yes
I know some other Texans who moved to Colorado because it is more liberal in some ways than Texas

Beto reminds me of Jimmy Stewart w/that earnest, stalwart persona--
Remember "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "It's a Wonderful Life", "Winchester 73", "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance"?
On the other hand, Cruz reminds me of Lionel Barrymore's Mr. Potter-- the lying, miserly curmudgeon in "It's a Wonderful Life"--
George Bailey won out over Mr. Potter--
Maybe we can have a Frank-Capra designed Senate election...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections