Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You make my point
--you give prime example of how the GOP "leadership" would have done nothing to help Obama or the next Democratic candidate for president vs a GOP candidate

The GOP decided--they might be a majority in the Senate but they are not a majority in the country
You know that, I know that, the GOP knows that--and the popular vote in the election proved it
The fact is that the GOP HAS a majority in the Senate because of gerrymandering and it has a POTUS in the WH because of that and the Electoral College

There have been multiple times when a president of one party nominated a SC candidate and the Senate was controlled by the opposite party--
I say multiple simply because of the two hundred years of history we have undergone
I haven't looked it up and don't remember seeing that point during the time McConnel stonewalled Obama
This was a desperate (but smart, I give McConnell that) effort to generate MORE GOP support for whomever their party came up with for the next election
I am sure he had no idea that Trump would be the candidate but there are many GOP voters who voted for Trump simply because of his ability to fill that SC bench seat
There are many voters whose primary reason to vote a conservative agenda boils down to judicial appointments...

McConnell and his "leadership" under the thumb of the Freedom Caucus stagnated compromise in the Senate and supported that same policy in the House under Ryan and Boemer
They NEVER had any thought after Obama's election into doing anything that would smooth his path or made it easier to elect Democrats--even if those compromises might have been better policy and better outcome for Americans in general...

Right now McConnell has a chokehold on the Senate in many ways--but his day will be over if elections aren't stopped under some gas lighting threat to democracy Trump comes up with to halt them...
And that rant takes nothing away from the fact that the Senate exercised its constitutional duty to give advice and consent (which inherently and necessarily includes the right to refuse to give advice and consent) to nominees submitted to the body by the POTUS.

Also, gerrymandering doesn't affect the Senate as the Senate is chosen by the popular vote of an entire state Its not broken up into sub-districts across a state like most House districts are.

Again, I get that you and others disagree with the Senate exercising its constitutional duty in the manner that it did, but that takes nothing away from the fact that this constitutional duty was, in fact, exercised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 09:43 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The GOP vote in Texas is overwhelming white. Hispanics in Texas may be slightly more Republican than they are in California or Colorado, but the primary way Hispanics in Texas assist Republicans is by not voting. As I indicated in my earlier post, the younger the population in Texas, the higher percentage of minority. Texas is a minority majority state now, but a lot of that percentage is in children or adults who do not vote. Even a former GOP state chairman has publically stated that Texas will eventually turn blue simply due to the weight of demographic numbers, but for that to happen anytime soon, minorities have to start voting in numbers in proportion to their population.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/...ld-finish-gop/

https://www.thenation.com/article/wh...ate-turn-blue/
They can't do that because a large percentage of Hispanics in Texas are here illegally, the latest estimates show that around 6.1% of the state population is illegal.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
O'Rourke begins TV ad campaign in all TX markets after getting $1.27 million in small donations after Cruz attack ads. O'Rourke is refusing corporate PAC money so is relying on small donations.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...-raised-off-of

O’Rourke’s (D-Texas) campaign announced a $1.27 million media buy on Monday, using the money donated to his campaign after Cruz had launched attack ads....

(O'Rouke's ads) ...would run in each of the state’s 20 media markets

Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
They can't do that because a large percentage of Hispanics in Texas are here illegally, the latest estimates show that around 6.1% of the state population is illegal.
Illegal minorities can't vote
Legal children of illegals can
It just takes time...

Old 08-13-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
O'Rourke begins TV ad campaign in all TX markets after getting $1.27 million in small donations after Cruz attack ads. O'Rourke is refusing corporate PAC money so is relying on small donations.

Cruz challenger O'Rourke launching $1.27M TV ad buy focusing on 'positive' message | TheHill

O’Rourke’s (D-Texas) campaign announced a $1.27 million media buy on Monday, using the money donated to his campaign after Cruz had launched attack ads....

(O'Rouke's ads) ...would run in each of the state’s 20 media markets
More than anything I think the small money donations Beto has been getting is an indication of his base--

Old 08-13-2018, 06:55 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
More than anything I think the small money donations Beto has been getting is an indication of his base--

I am going to donate a small amount to Beto. Since I can't vote in TX, a little donation is the least I can do. I have been doing such small donations for the Democratic Senators in the close races in various states.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:04 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
That’s really sad when these snake oil politicians put the rights of illegals over those of citizens. I just saw a video of his recent San Antonio visit where the first thing that came out of his mouth was about those illegals and their separated kids. Give me a break! I will never find a perfect candidate, but I would like Texas to be a two-party State again like it was before. I’m so tired of one party never having to work for my vote and pretty much just ignoring me. I will most likely hold my nose and vote for Beto-sucks.
Your Vote, your choice ...... that is what is great about this Nation.

Keep in mind (and hope you sleep well at night and can face yourself in the mirror in the am) that you are Voting FOR:

Open Borders
Pelosi
Impeachment of the President of the United States
Anti DACA fix for those kids
More Gridlock in the US Senate, so that nothing gets done
Anti Law & Order

THAT is the Reality.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:13 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Is O'Rourke campaigning at a graveyard and registering deceased people, or is he at the border trying to register illegals to vote?
No MONEY on the border and it's really hard for the Illegals to vote - we have Picture ID to vote and they have to prove Citizenship to vote. Beto doesn't care about them and most don't even know who he is.

Beto concentrates on the Urban Centers in Texas that have BIG MONEY and a lot of Leftists.
Houston, Austin, Dallas ..... Former Mayor and current Mayor ProTem does pled guilty to bribery of a half million dollars .... Dallas voters may actually start waking up to the Corruption in their City Leaders.

The border votes Democrat for the most part - but Beto isn't paying nearly as much attention to them as he is to Money areas.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
No MONEY on the border and it's really hard for the Illegals to vote - we have Picture ID to vote and they have to prove Citizenship to vote. Beto doesn't care about them and most don't even know who he is.

Beto concentrates on the Urban Centers in Texas that have BIG MONEY and a lot of Leftists.
Houston, Austin, Dallas ..... Former Mayor and current Mayor ProTem does pled guilty to bribery of a half million dollars .... Dallas voters may actually start waking up to the Corruption in their City Leaders.

The border votes Democrat for the most part - but Beto isn't paying nearly as much attention to them as he is to Money areas.
I read that Beto has visited every county in Texas, so while he's naturally paying more attention to the counties that are the population centers, he hasn't ignored the border counties at all.

Cruz has never done the same. He as always concentrated his efforts on where the population is, as have most others who have run for national office.

In a county that hasn't been visited by a candidate in many decades, a single visit counts for quite a lot. Beto is still at it, so he may hit every county in the state a second time before the election.

The real question is if the effort is worth the time. Obviously, very few, including Cruz, think it is.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

You are repeating some of the GOP slams against Beto--why if you hate Cruz?
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06...-254-counties/
Beto has hit every county and he did it by June--
He has been campaigning a long time and in a personal way w/o DNC help
But Beto isn't stupid==
And he has made a huge media buy with his latest round of campaign donations
And he is having rallies in more populated areas--
Even ones that have been GOP in the past

He is attempting to rouse the voter who thinks there is no reason to vote
To give them a reason to believe he can make a difference and help empower them...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018...h-texas-voters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections