Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:26 AM

15,623 posts, read 10,378,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You have no idea about voter intimidation until you are a union supporting Democrat who has lived his whole life in 80% Republican towns.
But I do.

I spent more than half my life living and working in very liberal Manhattan, a politically homogenous environment where you couldn't find a republican, much less a conservative, in professional or personal circles on a bet. I'm very adept at keeping my political views to myself. when one is a minority and chooses to swim in a very militant majority pool, silence really is golden.

by the way, Austin is uber progressive politically, not conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 11:51 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,206,437 times
Clinton lost the state by 9 points. Which was an improvement from other recent D nominees. If O'Rourke keeps his loss to the 5-6 polls are showing that would actually be significant progress for Dems. Texas is already on pace to be the next Florida in terms of demographic shifts by race and having large fluctuations of transplants.

The significance would be that even if Ds don't win top of the ticket races, having them more active will increase their representation in the state legislature and put several congressional districts in play. That time is still 6-8 years away but you can't win if you don't try.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
But I do.

I spent more than half my life living and working in very liberal Manhattan, a politically homogenous environment where you couldn't find a republican, much less a conservative, in professional or personal circles on a bet. I'm very adept at keeping my political views to myself. when one is a minority and chooses to swim in a very militant majority pool, silence really is golden.

There are people in Austin who are just as conservative as in Iowa or my part of DFW--
I know
They are my relatives
There are also people in Austin--not all who moved from more liberal areas like CA--who are liberal
My nephew who is like 3 yrs younger than my 70 had always voted GOP but Trump put stop to that
My daughter's good friend from childhood lives there and was raised in DFW TX area by two liberals from Kansas
She is married to someone born female but gender identifies as male.....
Austin is mroe progressive than most TX cities and certainly small tows/rural areas but not everyone in Austin is a liberal...

Old 09-21-2018, 12:36 PM

23,964 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
But I do.

Living in Manhattan would be really hard on a conservative. Surely you were on the east side.

One could be a card carrying commie on the UWS and no one would notice.

I lived among oil company managers and lawyers for 20 years. There would be maybe 8 people show up for the precinct convention, and we were paired. Operation Chaos brought 500 people to the precinct convention. It was stunning. The people I had lived across the street from for 20 years confessed to always voting D, as did the neighbor at the end of the block. I know they did not vote in the primary.

But, being a Republican when Goldwater ran was a treat. They had to have the primary election in people's garages because the public building would not allow Rs on their premises. But by the general election that year we were in San Antonio. That's when I first learned of rigged voting machines. DH and a friend voted. When walking back to work, they discussed pulling one lever. One pulled the lever on the right to vote straight R, the other pulled the one on the left to vote straight R.

That was also where I had 8 vacant lots vote 16 people. When i told my cell block leader he pretty much said who shall we complain too? The whole county is Democratic. LBJ was proud of the turnout that year.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:54 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Clinton lost the state by 9 points. Which was an improvement from other recent D nominees. If O'Rourke keeps his loss to the 5-6 polls are showing that would actually be significant progress for Dems. Texas is already on pace to be the next Florida in terms of demographic shifts by race and having large fluctuations of transplants.

The significance would be that even if Ds don't win top of the ticket races, having them more active will increase their representation in the state legislature and put several congressional districts in play. That time is still 6-8 years away but you can't win if you don't try.
Really? Even with Abbott projected to win in a landslide? Not that I expect Cruz to underperform Clinton, but his win by a smaller margin wouldn't mean much to be all the same. Still, I think this is another race where Dems are going to proved drastically wrong.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:18 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
This race is now considered a “toss-up.”

“As of Friday, there is yet another indication that O’Rourke could have a fighting chance come November: the Cook Political Report updated its rating for the race, moving it from leans Republican to toss-up.”

Cruz, Beto Poll: Texas Senate Race a 'Toss Up': Cook Report | Fortune

Old 10-03-2018, 05:55 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,604,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This race is now considered a “toss-up.”

“As of Friday, there is yet another indication that O’Rourke could have a fighting chance come November: the Cook Political Report updated its rating for the race, moving it from leans Republican to toss-up.”

Cruz, Beto Poll: Texas Senate Race a 'Toss Up': Cook Report | Fortune
Check out the TX-32 poll below, this is Highland Park Dallas & has two zip codes ranked as the 5th & 6th largest givers of money to the GOP.

http://endcitizensunited.org/wp-cont...8m1-100118.pdf

Very interesting poll numbers...

Democrats have advantage in TX 32; Trump’s Standing is Very Bad

A Congressional contest among generic, unnamed candidates results in a 51 - 45 percent advantage for the
Democrat, with Independent voters choosing the Democrat by 13 points. The Senate race also favors Democrats here, with Beto O’Rourke leading Ted Cruz by 9 points, 53 –44 percent. Independents choose O’Rourke by a whopping 17 points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections