Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 07:10 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times

Advertisements

Very, very bad news for Republicans. 12th District of Ohio has been republican for 30 years. Trump won this district in 2016 by double digits.

And now, though it looks like they'll hold on, the republican won by a little over 1,700 votes. Some democratic voters were on camera outside the ballot stations saying that Trump coming to their district motivated them to come out to vote in a mid-term.

If what happened last night is any indication of November, Republicans might be in big trouble as this "blue wave" might actually happen.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:26 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Very, very bad news for Republicans. 12th District of Ohio has been republican for 30 years. Trump won this district in 2016 by double digits.

And now, though it looks like they'll hold on, the republican won by a little over 1,700 votes. Some democratic voters were on camera outside the ballot stations saying that Trump coming to their district motivated them to come out to vote in a mid-term.

If what happened last night is any indication of November, Republicans might be in big trouble as this "blue wave" might actually happen.
That's nothing but wishful thinking on your part. Like others have said, he could have won by 10,000 votes and you'd still be trying to find a silver lining in the Dems loss. You know it, I know it and so does everyone else.
If what happened last night is any indication of what will happen in Nov, the Dems will lose again. They had their chance to show all of us just how many votes they can muster yesterday and failed.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:31 AM

10,750 posts, read 4,342,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It's reality, not spinning. Solid red district in 2016 becomes a razor thin toss-up in 2018. The trend is obvious.
A lot of people in Ohio didn't even know there was an election.
Whereas you can't miss it in November.
Democrats in Ohio are obsessed with Trump (especially after the feud with LeBron), so we know they were up for the special election.
Republicans more likely would only be motivated for the midterms.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:35 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I'm starting to suspect the R leadership and many members in Congress don’t really want the majority — they have to work too hard. They have to actually govern and lead. They have to get behind a president many of them don’t like.
Ryan and McConnel desperately need to be replaced with Jim Jordan as Speaker and ?? as Senate leader.

And Trump needs to stop insulting people on a daily basis, and start repairing the divisiveness in his party and our country he has helped create. His policies are working, but all the attention goes to his behavior, not his successes.
Agreed, I too dislike Trump's brusque manner and wish he'd stop getting into the gutter with people. But hoping Trump stops popping off at the mouth and exchanging words with his critics... I gave up on that.

When it gets right down to it, people don't vote for a candidate for president because of their go along to get along politeness. They vote for them because of the policies and a agenda they pursue. People want a president who will fight for America and live up to their campaign promises.

And after they get elected, people don't want a president who rolls over like a scared puppy whenever the thug dictators and his political critics talk mean about him.

As long as Trump's policies and agenda keep improving things, I'll keep supporting him. I'll never support his Twitter fights. I think trading insults should be beneath any president; but that's just not his style, so I've accepted that, and have moved on.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:37 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's nothing but wishful thinking on your part. Like others have said, he could have won by 10,000 votes and you'd still be trying to find a silver lining in the Dems loss. You know it, I know it and so does everyone else.
If what happened last night is any indication of what will happen in Nov, the Dems will lose again. They had their chance to show all of us just how many votes they can muster yesterday and failed.
The path for the Democrats taking over the House is going to come down to swing districts. Districts that the Republicans hold that Trump lost in or won narrowly. Not seats the GOP has held for 30 years that Trump won by 11.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:41 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:

Keep living in delusionville. The party holding the presidency usually gets crushed in midterms and special elections. This was both and the Dem still lost.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:42 AM

17,791 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The Republicans performance in these special elections reminds me of a college football team that is supposed to be good playing their weaker non conference opponents in September. They squeak by in games in which they are 20 point favorites.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:45 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
That is only bad news for Troy Balderson, since he was on the ballot.

It's silly to think that any Republican candidate will win by the same margin as the president. If this were the standard for Congressional elections, then 0bama would not have started with a super Democratic Party majority in both houses, and lost it all in just four years later.

Quote:

The dems seem to be blaming the Green Party for this loss. Some of the kooks are even suggesting it was the Russians... again.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:56 AM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Agreed, I too dislike Trump's brusque manner and wish he'd stop getting into the gutter with people. But hoping Trump stops popping off at the mouth and exchanging words with his critics... I gave up on that.

When it gets right down to it, people don't vote for a candidate for president because of their go along to get along politeness. They vote for them because of the policies and a agenda they pursue. People want a president who will fight for America and live up to their campaign promises.

And after they get elected, people don't want a president who rolls over like a scared puppy whenever the thug dictators and his political critics talk mean about him.

As long as Trump's policies and agenda keep improving things, I'll keep supporting him. I'll never support his Twitter fights. I think trading insults should be beneath any president; but that's just not his style, so I've accepted that, and have moved on.
So what is your opinion of his performance in Helsinki? 'Cause he sure didn't look very tough to me beside Putin.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:02 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Keep living in delusionville. The party holding the presidency usually gets crushed in midterms and special elections. This was both and the Dem still lost.
Fact of the matter is even in Midterms that heavily favor one side or the other it is traditionally swing seats and/or perhaps districts that generally just lean one way or the other (but not heavily to one side) that determine it. Not seats that are pretty solidly Dem or GOP.

Last edited by Smash255; 08-08-2018 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections