Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 06:50 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times

Advertisements

US Senate - Indiana. Seat currently held by Joe Donnelly (D) is listed as a toss up for 2018. Rs have a chance to flip this seat from D to R.

https://realclearpolitics.com/epolls...elly-6573.html

New poll just released by Republican leaning pollster Trafalgar has Donnelly (D) up by 12!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 07:26 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,040 times
I saw this & immediately went to the poll to check the methodologically of the poll. They don't have it listed and the dem has a huge lead that I would have to think the poll is an outlyer, but it's a republican poll. So I have to think its a valid poll.

Assuming it s a valid poll, there is going to be a massive blue wave this fall. I can see the Democrats picking up 4 seats & keeping all of the ones they have. Democrats are also up 7 & 9 in the generic house poll, we have seen this number inch up lately in the last month.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:52 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,040 times
Might need to revise the above, just saw a poll with the Democrat leading in the Mississippi race. Espy who commissioned the Poll is up 3 on (R) Hyde-Smith who is favored to win the republican nomination.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:06 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Trafalgar pollster correctly identified Trump pulling ahead in several key swing states the last week before the 2016 election.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 PM

639 posts, read 248,739 times
No polling data along with 35% of the people polled being 65 or older means its not a legit poll...35% of the population of Indiana is NOT 65 or older lol.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:11 PM

639 posts, read 248,739 times
https://www.ibj.com/articles/69563-n...-in-tight-race

This is actually more in line with the other poll that was taken...

Old 08-16-2018, 08:22 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Might need to revise the above, just saw a poll with the Democrat leading in the Mississippi race. Espy who commissioned the Poll is up 3 on (R) Hyde-Smith who is favored to win the republican nomination.
Yeah, we all know that Hyde-Smith is not down by 3 in MS lol. I'm watching the polls closely, but something seems off about many, just like in 2016.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:10 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
No polling data along with 35% of the people polled being 65 or older means its not a legit poll...35% of the population of Indiana is NOT 65 or older lol.
The age structure of the electorate is more important than the age structure of the total population. I don't know if 35% is accurate, but in Midwest states like Indiana, senior citizens comprise a greater % of the population than in other parts of the country. Furthermore, senior citizens vote at greater rates than younger people, so the 35% may not be off by all that much.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:08 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
I saw this & immediately went to the poll to check the methodologically of the poll. They don't have it listed and the dem has a huge lead that I would have to think the poll is an outlyer, but it's a republican poll. So I have to think its a valid poll.

Assuming it s a valid poll, there is going to be a massive blue wave this fall. I can see the Democrats picking up 4 seats & keeping all of the ones they have. Democrats are also up 7 & 9 in the generic house poll, we have seen this number inch up lately in the last month.
here is the methodology

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eUR...sGoA6Zb93/view

Quote:
Espy is well liked in Mississippi, there is a reason people saw that race as much closer than the other Senate race in the very same state.

Mississippi, like other Southern States, technically has enough black and white liberals to make any race a toss up, they just dont turn out and vote.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:12 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
here is the methodology

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eUR...sGoA6Zb93/view

Espy is well liked in Mississippi, there is a reason people saw that race as much closer than the other Senate race in the very same state.

Mississippi, like other Southern States, technically has enough black and white liberals to make any race a toss up, they just dont turn out and vote.
If every black voter and every white liberal voter went to the polls, I'd agree with you. But that's only compared to the standard white conservative voter turnout.

On the flip side, if every white conservative voter went to the polls, the conservatives would still win comfortably in MS. Of course, for this particular election, I'm not seeing signs that black voters are particularly enthusiastic about voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections