Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 02:42 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I guess Rafael Cruz wont get you elected in Texas either?
It is definitely pandering in both cases. The difference for me is that while Cruz is trying to make himself seem more white with "Ted", he actually is a white guy that also happens to be Hispanic.

O'Rourke took a Hispanic nickname to get people to think he's Hispanic when he is really (presumably) Irish. In other words, there was some truth in Cruz's pandering whereas there is none with O'Rourke.

It tells you how moronic our system of governance is when our representatives have to take fake names to bamboozle constituents into voting for them.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:01 PM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
It is definitely pandering in both cases. The difference for me is that while Cruz is trying to make himself seem more white with "Ted", he actually is a white guy that also happens to be Hispanic.

O'Rourke took a Hispanic nickname to get people to think he's Hispanic when he is really (presumably) Irish. In other words, there was some truth in Cruz's pandering whereas there is none with O'Rourke.

It tells you how moronic our system of governance is when our representatives have to take fake names to bamboozle constituents into voting for them.
If youre born and raised in El Paso, I see nothing sinister about having a Mexican nickname. I dont have an issue with Ted calling himself that either. I think its overblown.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:02 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
I don't know about Cruz, but O'Rourke's nickname is not made up just for show. There are photos of him as a little kid wearing a t-shirt with "Beto" on it. Plus, that is backed up by people who knew him.

I've read that Cruz originally had dual Canadian/US citizenship, since he was born in Canada to a mom who was a US citizen and a dad who was not. He surrendered Canadian citizenship to avoid criticism when he ran for office. If Obama had been born in Kenya, it seems he would have been in the same situation as Cruz. (As far as being being a US citizen.)

I'm not criticizing Cruz for this, its just that many people seem to have double standards.

Last edited by madrone2k; 09-12-2018 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 04:09 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:

You really need to learn how to research things instead of just spouting crap. . Beto is a Spanish nick for Roberto, the Spanish version of Robert ( you know, his actual name ) , and he was given the nick before the age of 5 and went through school going by that name . In other words, everything you claimed is bull feces.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
You really need to learn how to research things instead of just spouting crap. . Beto is a Spanish nick for Roberto, the Spanish version of Robert ( you know, his actual name ) , and he was given the nick before the age of 5 and went through school going by that name . In other words, everything you claimed is bull feces.
Yeah, I figured out what Beto is short for. Regardless of how long he had that nickname, some dude with the whitest name ever would have a hard time winning a primary in the El Paso area against someone with a Hispanic name.

He's banking on a certain proportion of voters thinking he is at least half Hispanic. Notice the yard signs only say Beto and not O'Rourke. He's clearly trying to down play his last name so uninformed voters see a sign and think he's something he isn't. If you don't think this is part of the strategy, then you have an unhealthy trust in the sleazeballs that are ALL federal politicians.

And for the record, I don't like Cruz either. There's something about him that makes my skin crawl. He's creepy and I bet he has huge skeletons in his closet. Then there is establishment shill Cornyn. They are all clowns and putting any kind of faith in them is foolish.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 PM

502 posts, read 391,902 times
Quote:
Yeah, I figured out what Beto is short for. Regardless of how long he had that nickname, some dude with the whitest name ever would have a hard time winning a primary in the El Paso area against someone with a Hispanic name.

He's banking on a certain proportion of voters thinking he is at least half Hispanic. Notice the yard signs only say Beto and not O'Rourke. He's clearly trying to down play his last name so uninformed voters see a sign and think he's something he isn't. If you don't think this is part of the strategy, then you have an unhealthy trust in the sleazeballs that are ALL federal politicians.

And for the record, I don't like Cruz either. There's something about him that makes my skin crawl. He's creepy and I bet he has huge skeletons in his closet. Then there is establishment shill Cornyn. They are all clowns and putting any kind of faith in them is foolish.
Beto seems alright though, at least compared to Cruz.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:21 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Cruz gives me the creeps and is too far right (or whatever the GOP currently is). Beto is too far left (but doesn't give me the creeps). The kicker for me is that a stalemate government is much better than what we have, which could result if we Could swap Beto for Cruz. Then nothing will get done and it doesn't matter what your politics really are.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
If youre born and raised in El Paso, I see nothing sinister about having a Mexican nickname. I dont have an issue with Ted calling himself that either. I think its overblown.
Judging by your comment it sounds like you are left leaning. I am right leaning and I agree. Ted has been going by Ted since he was a boy. Apparently Beto has too. I don't care that much. IF it's true he stopped going by Beto but recently started again that is kind of strange though

Old 09-12-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I don't know about Cruz, but O'Rourke's nickname is not made up just for show. There are photos of him as a little kid wearing a t-shirt with "Beto" on it. Plus, that is backed up by people who knew him.

I've read that Cruz originally had dual Canadian/US citizenship, since he was born in Canada to a mom who was a US citizen and a dad who was not. He surrendered Canadian citizenship to avoid criticism when he ran for office. If Obama had been born in Kenya, it seems he would have been in the same situation as Cruz. (As far as being being a US citizen.)

I'm not criticizing Cruz for this, its just that many people seem to have double standards.
Quote:
Congress can define who is a citizen at birth, and can also allow persons who are not birth citizens — and thus not eligible to be president — to become citizens at some post-birth moment. Henry Kissinger, Madeleine Albright, Arnold Schwarzenegger: None of these persons was born a citizen; none is eligible to be president; but all have become nonbirth citizens — naturalized as opposed to natural-born citizens — thanks to congressional naturalization statutes.
Obama didn't do this, and he WAS likely born in Kenya. He has a Connecticut SSN when he has never lived there. To top it all off, the White House document of his birth certificate can be run through photoshop and shown to have layers, which means it has been previously photoshopped. The white house could very easily print up a birth certificate for him and pretend it has been there all along. Why would they release one that was photoshopped? Something fishy. It is as if they wanted people to be able to easily see it is fake. Terrifying in my opinion.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:

That is pretty fishy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections