Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 03:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Republicans in Texas need to remember that up until fairly recently (in the overall scheme of things), Texas was a Yellow Dog Democrat state (as in, "He'd vote for a yellow dog if it was a Democrat" - now think about what that really says about the voter in question whether the last word in that sentence is Democrat or Republican).

The voters didn't change - the party changed out from under them and expected Texans, of all people, to follow along meekly like sheep. The Republican Party, with its pandering to its more extremist members, is doing the same thing. There's a reason the saying "Those who will not learn from history are condemned to repeat it" has been around for so long

Old 09-15-2018, 03:37 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I was not specific enough when I said "suburbs" broadly. I really mean the professional suburbs (suburbs with above average levels of college-educated Whites particularly). Among White Americans, education has become fairly predictive of whether Ds overperform, or if Rs overperfom (in the case of non-college Whites that have been swinging away from Rs). It's partly why Republicans won't likely hold the House of Representatives in Nov.

It's not a myth and there's actual election data to prove that. Look the election map from 2016. Even in Texas, if you're familiar with what electoral maps have usually looked like in recent presidential elections here you'd notice this phenomenon.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/election-2016-voting-precinct-maps.html
I'm very familiar with that map. I studied the previous map from DecisionDeskHQ that had maps going back to 2008. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be available anymore. In my area, most of the wealthy suburbs switched from Romney to Clinton. However, a lot of that cohort of suburbs remained with Trump. One of the key takeaways was that he did better among those voters than had been anticipated. He hung on to enough of that traditional part of the coalition to win. These same voters tend to make a distinction between down-ballot Republicans and Donald Trump. I am very skeptical that Democrats will make much headway in those affluent Republican-held congressional districts (which are few, I might add, most districts are more economically diverse, pushing almost 800k people per district). 'Upscale whites' are not enough to win the House, and they are not going to bring down Ted Cruz.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:32 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I hope Democrats continue to throw money at O'Rourke's doomed candidacy. It keeps them from spending money where it might be more effective.
I'm not sure it is doomed. Beto is scaring a lot of Republicans with how well he's projected to do. He has a legitimate chance to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Drove through Preston Hollow today. Old Preston Hollow and new. The number of Beto signs in front of homes is astonishing. I was shocked.
Why is Beto doing well in Preston Hollow? The policies he supports would take money away from them, money that they worked hard for, or their families worked for and passed the wealth down through the generations. How does wealth re-distribution benefit a person with money?

Old 09-15-2018, 06:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'm not sure it is doomed. Beto is scaring a lot of Republicans with how well he's projected to do. He has a legitimate chance to win.

Why is Beto doing well in Preston Hollow? The policies he supports would take money away from them, money that they worked hard for, or their families worked for and passed the wealth down through the generations. How does wealth re-distribution benefit a person with money?
Everyone thinks "Surely it won't be me. They mean some other rich folks somewhere else. I've got friends. I can keep my money, keep getting cheap yard and housekeeping services, and feel good about myself because I voted for the guy with the ethnic name."

Old 09-15-2018, 11:22 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
As a Hispanic person who speaks Spanish, I concur with River City. Gringo is not a racial slur and would at be, at worst, considered somewhat rude in certain contexts. There's even 'guero/a', which is used mostly to refer to very light-skinned Hispanics and is also not a racial slur.

Conservatives, smh, they get so offended and triggered these days.
If the roles were reversed, give me an example of a race identifying name a white high school sports team would be allowed to call a single brown player without there being a controversy.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:45 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,211,278 times
We are within a wealth bracket that should skew country club Republican but our only concerns aren't just our financial bottom line. When it comes to social issues we're much more in line with the Democrats and we're concerned with how the Republican economic policies with affect our friends and family who aren't as well off as us.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I assume that President Bush the Younger creeps you out, as well, right?
I am not "creeped out" by anyone. That statement was made by some snowflake liberal OH-SO SCARED of Ted Cruz. He will probably hide under his bed when the halloween trick or teater children knock on his door looking for candy.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
DUI which he acknowledged and took the required course and doesn't hide at all but speaks of as a grfave mistake (was not convicted).

"Breaking and entering" consisted of he and some of his college buddies jumping a fence on campus and setting off an alarm. Prosecutors declined to prosecute (probably laughing while they did).

All of it in college. Other than that it sounds a bit like a frat boy prank, doesn't creep me out at all. As for the DUI, I assume that President Bush the Younger creeps you out, as well, right?
Funny you post this when the liberals are trying to derail Brett Kavanaugh with an anomomous, last minute lie, a totally false HIGH SCHOOL complaint.

BETO was an adult when he drove drunk and accumulated a criminal record.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
We are within a wealth bracket that should skew country club Republican but our only concerns aren't just our financial bottom line. When it comes to social issues we're much more in line with the Democrats and we're concerned with how the Republican economic policies with affect our friends and family who aren't as well off as us.
Your friends and family who are not as well off as you are would benefit more from the economic policies behind conservative ideology. The poor and the middle class need free market policies rather than wealth re-distribution and big government. Beto O'Rourke supports higher taxes. With higher taxes, job creators tighten the belt and the people who suffer are the people in the bottom rungs of the socioeconomic sphere.

If you want to help the less fortunate in a sustainable manner, free market economics with smaller government is the better route. Donate to private charities too.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
I am not "creeped out" by anyone. That statement was made by some snowflake liberal OH-SO SCARED of Ted Cruz. He will probably hide under his bed when the halloween trick or teater children knock on his door looking for candy.

You do realize that you have branded yourself as someone who has turned their brain off and handed it over to someone's party line, don't you? Whenever someone on EITHER side speaks the way you do about the entire other party, that's what that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections