Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 04:00 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I don't understand the people-watching suggestions. What exactly are we supposed to see and how is this supposed to affect our perspective?

Why do so few Americans approve of the recent Republican tax cuts? Shouldn't Republicans be campaigning on that accomplishment? But they seem oddly silent.
The tax cuts are great for me right now, but of course they are just accelerating this country toward the brick wall in front of us. I would rather benefit a little less from a tax cut in exchange for actually fixing our budget.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:00 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
If the roles were reversed, give me an example of a race identifying name a white high school sports team would be allowed to call a single brown player without there being a controversy.
its been a few days...From page 6, I am still waiting to know what Hispanic name an all white team could call a Hispanic student without a controversy..

All I hear is +++CRICKETS+++

Old 09-16-2018, 05:32 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
DUI which he acknowledged and took the required course and doesn't hide at all but speaks of as a grfave mistake (was not convicted).

"Breaking and entering" consisted of he and some of his college buddies jumping a fence on campus and setting off an alarm. Prosecutors declined to prosecute (probably laughing while they did).

All of it in college. Other than that it sounds a bit like a frat boy prank, doesn't creep me out at all. As for the DUI, I assume that President Bush the Younger creeps you out, as well, right?
I agree with all you said. I also have something to add to the story about W in his younger days, although I am not doing so in a mean-spirited way.

Before W redeemed himself, he lived in an apartment in near SW Houston. As it turns out, a friend of mine looking for an apartment was shown the one W had just moved out of. The rental agent indicated that before they could lease it to a new tenant, they would need to replace the carpet, which was full of vomit and cigarette burns.

My point is, a lot of people do dumb things when they are young and later go on to reform their behavior. I just prefer the way that Beto reformed his.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I don't understand the people-watching suggestions. What exactly are we supposed to see and how is this supposed to affect our perspective?

Why do so few Americans approve of the recent Republican tax cuts? Shouldn't Republicans be campaigning on that accomplishment? But they seem oddly silent.
Just go people watch and see where your money will go. Then you will understand what I'm saying.

As for Republicans campaigning, I can't answer for them, being an independent who is pretty skeptical of all career politicians, Republicans included.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:49 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
its been a few days...From page 6, I am still waiting to know what Hispanic name an all white team could call a Hispanic student without a controversy..

All I hear is +++CRICKETS+++
Against my better judgment, I'll try to explain this situation to you:

Mexico has a very different history with race issues than the US. One should not assume that US political correctness applies there. Mexicans are very straightforward with nicknames and mean no harm at all when they apply such terms as "fatso" (el gordo), "whitey" (el güero), "black guy/gal" (el negro), "skinny" (el flaco), "shorty" (el chaparrito), etc. There truly is no malice meant at all when they are applied. In fact, they are applied in the same way a four year old will just state the obvious. It alarmed me when I first got there, but I found it somewhat liberating later when I realized no one gets worked up about it or takes it seriously at all.

I know that the valley is in the US, but it is culturally hispanic and very much Mexican. You comparison just doesn't make sense and it's clear that you don't understand the culture of the place you are living.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:07 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post

Mexico has a very different history with race issues than the US. One should not assume that US political correctness applies there. Mexicans are very straightforward with nicknames and mean no harm at all when they apply such terms as "fatso" (el gordo), "whitey" (el güero), "black guy/gal" (el negro), "skinny" (el flaco), "shorty" (el chaparrito), etc. There truly is no malice meant at all when they are applied. In fact, they are applied in the same way a four year old will just state the obvious. It alarmed me when I first got there, but I found it somewhat liberating later when I realized no one gets worked up about it or takes it seriously at all.

I know that the valley is in the US, but it is culturally hispanic and very much Mexican. You comparison just doesn't make sense and it's clear that you don't understand the culture of the place you are living.
I hear what you are saying. When my best friend was a kid in northern Mexico, he and his younger sister would have the typical not-really-serious sibling fights. Sometimes, the fights wound up with his sister running to their mom saying "mom, he's calling me prieta (darky) again". They loved each other, but when they argued, they would use whatever the other would think of as being poked with a sharp stick. Also, his mom would call his dad "gordo" or "gordito", but affectionately. In the US, in English, this sounds worse than it would in Mexico. In case someone points it out, I would agree that in US English-language culture, people often (usually) say such things in a meaner way.

There was (or still is) a Spanish-language TV show called "El Gordo y La Flaca". I.e., the fat guy and the skinny girl. It's actually recorded in Miami, but in the English-language culture of the US, such a title would immediately doom a show.

Finally, I agree that Mexico has a different history of race issues compared to the US. However, "different" doesn't necessarily mean perfect (and I don't think you meant to imply that). Jeez, just looking at Mexican telenovelas, one could not be faulted for thinking that most Mexicans had pale complexions and light hair and eyes. It amazes me that to this day, the casting doesn't reflect the actual population. (Of course, we in the US are still working out our issues on that, also.)

Last edited by madrone2k; 09-16-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 09:39 PM

502 posts, read 391,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just go people watch and see where your money will go. Then you will understand what I'm saying.

As for Republicans campaigning, I can't answer for them, being an independent who is pretty skeptical of all career politicians, Republicans included.
Why do you act like what you perceive as "lower-class" people are not just people trying to enjoy life just like you? I really don't get it, it almost seems like you see them as animals or something. Just remember that everyone has a story.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Quote:
Funnt thing is, my son graduated from high school two years ago. After playing football, he was on the soccer team. The soccer team was 100% Hispanic, EXCEPT for my son. Guess what all the Hispanic teammates called him? THE GRINGO.

To his and our credit, we never made any fuss. We did not call the Houston Chronical, Channel 2 news, or the Justice Department to launch an investigation or levy any complaints.

I wonder what would have happened if an all white high school sports team was calling a single Hispanic player "brownie" or such? The team would have been disbanded, RACISM charges would have been screamed, and CNN news crews would be on the way.
Welcome to the new (and improved!) America.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Drove through Preston Hollow today. Old Preston Hollow and new. The number of Beto signs in front of homes is astonishing. I was shocked.
Diversity for thee but not for me!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post

In other words, it's ok for them to be arseholes, cause it's their culture! But we can't do the same thing, in the country that our ancestors founded, and invited them into. Yep, I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections