Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 10:32 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Why do you act like what you perceive as "lower-class" people are not just people trying to enjoy life just like you? I really don't get it, it almost seems like you see them as animals or something. Just remember that everyone has a story.
If you can't be bothered to go to a ****ing Goodwill, buy some nice clothes, comb your hair, shower, and not spend your paycheck on drugs, alcohol, tattoos, fast food, coca-cola, funnel cake @ the fair, etc. you are not deserving of tax dollars.

I grew up poor in a rich area. My mother has NEVER paid an income tax in her life because she has never made enough money to do it. That has never stopped me from respecting myself and others around me by dressing and looking like a functioning member of society.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:53 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Diversity for thee but not for me!
So I think I've been misunderstood here. LOL. I am voting for Beto. I was surprised, as a former Preston Hollow resident, to see so many Beto signs on lawns. Two, three, four years ago this wouldn't have been the case.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Why do you act like what you perceive as "lower-class" people are not just people trying to enjoy life just like you? I really don't get it, it almost seems like you see them as animals or something. Just remember that everyone has a story.
Why are you saying I'm "acting like that?" You are reading something into my words that simply isn't there.

I've been rich and I've been poor and I've been in between. I know great people in every social class - and I know "low class" people in every social class. What I'm saying, since you clearly missed it, is that people often don't seem to connect the dots when it comes to where their tax dollars - INCREASED tax dollars - are actually going to be going. Or how much their tax burden is going to increase.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:52 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
In other words, it's ok for them to be arseholes, cause it's their culture! But we can't do the same thing, in the country that our ancestors founded, and invited them into. Yep, I love it!
No. In other words, it's ok for them to have their own cultural norms and if one chooses to live in their community it would be best to attempt to understand it, so that you don't unnecessarily get yourself bent out of shape because you're using the wrong lens to view the situation.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
In other words, it's ok for them to be arseholes, cause it's their culture! But we can't do the same thing, in the country that our ancestors founded, and invited them into. Yep, I love it!

You do know that they were here before we were, correct? That we won a war does not change history much as some would love for it to do so.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:38 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You do know that they were here before we were, correct? That we won a war does not change history much as some would love for it to do so.
Yeah, I thought that was a pretty funny comment, as well .

Old 09-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
No. In other words, it's ok for them to have their own cultural norms and if one chooses to live in their community it would be best to attempt to understand it, so that you don't unnecessarily get yourself bent out of shape because you're using the wrong lens to view the situation.
That's not how it works. When you move to a new country you learn their culture and embrace it.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Who was? The immigrants that are moving here every day? No, they were not.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:10 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
That's not how it works. When you move to a new country you learn their culture and embrace it.
You seem to be referring to what should happen. It doesn't interest me to engage you in that discussion. I'm talking about what actually happens. And it's true for any community that one willfully chooses to be a part of, whether it is a different culture, faith, profession, etc.. In other words, I'm referring to it not as a political issue, but an anthropological one.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:20 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I understand the logic you are using and agree that it would apply in Mexico. They didn't have slavery the way the US did and there aren't as many hang-ups about race. Outside of the US, Canada and Western Europe, what Americans think of as racism is standard operating procedure.

But it's a different story in the US, even in Hispanic majority areas. If a Hispanic called me gringo, guero or any other nickname, no one would care. If I called a Hispanic darky, stumpy or fatso, I think we can all be certain the attitude of "we like to use blunt nicknames" would quickly go out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections