Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 06:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

I mean, I didn't watch the whole thing but I thought Beto did pretty good.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:12 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I am nothing if not fair, to a fault, actually.

So I went back and listened to the entirety of the debate again. And that's one hour I won't ever get back. :-/

I wanted to go back and relook - to see if I just imagined the Cruz crowd was rowdy and rude, compared to the Beto crowd. At the beginning, when the candidates were introduced, and cheering was allowed, there was equal cheering for Cruz and Beto. So I think we can assume approx equal numbers of supporters of each in the audience.

Here are the numbers:

Incidents of sustained disruptive reaction:

Cruz - 12 Beto - 4

Incidents of brief, nondisruptive reaction, by a few members:

Cruz - 10 Beto - 12

Incidents of jeering/negative reaction:

Cruz - 5 Beto - 0

And other observations:

Incidence of jeering laughter by the candidate:

Cruz - 2 Beto - 0

Times candidate had to be verbally told more than once he was out of time, while he kept talking:

Cruz - 7 Beto - 0

Incidents where the candidate had to be told by the other he had his facts wrong or was outright lying:

Cruz - 5 Beto - 0

*Note, I forgave each candidate the long sustained applause at the very end of their 90 second conclusive statement, because that seemed expected.

So. Loveshiscountry. Do you backtrack that Cruz's audience was much less well-behaved than Beto's?
Maybe the crowd found things Beto was saying more repulsive than what Cruz was saying?

Old 09-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Maybe the crowd found things Beto was saying more repulsive than what Cruz was saying?
Yes, maybe. I don't know about "repulsive", though, vs. "rousing".

I will agree that Beto had fewer "applause" comments, and I mean that sincerely. He didn't bring his A game to this debate, IMHO.

Cruz had more comments that roused his followers to break the rules of being respectful and silent.

But I still believe that Beto followers are more civil, more kind, than Cruz followers who are frankly more combative and less respectful of decorum than Beto followers.

Mirroring the personalities of Cruz and Beto.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, maybe. I don't know about "repulsive", though, vs. "rousing".

I will agree that Beto had fewer "applause" comments, and I mean that sincerely. He didn't bring his A game to this debate, IMHO.

Cruz had more comments that roused his followers to break the rules of being respectful and silent.

But I still believe that Beto followers are more civil, more kind, than Cruz followers who are frankly more combative and less respectful of decorum than Beto followers.

Mirroring the personalities of Cruz and Beto.
I believe just the opposite. Democrat supporters tend to riot, verbally and physically attack conservatives.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:31 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It was a "fabulous question" and one that needed to be asked ..... we had at least 4 threads about exactly that as I remember. Ted Cruz won the debate on his answer - and probably the election for those that bothered to watch.

Moderator:

“The last time you stood for election was in 2016. You were the runner-up in the Republican primary for president,” said moderator Gromer Jeffers. “Donald Trump as you remember, dubbed you ‘Lyin’ Ted.’ He took swipes at your wife and father. You, in turn, called him a pathological liar. And quite frankly, there’s so many insults between the two of you, it would take the rest of this show to go through them all. But now that he’s president, you guys have become friendly to the point where you praised him in Time Magazine. How do you respond to critics who say that as it relates to President Trump, you’ve lost your dignity?”

Ted Cruz :
“Well, there is no doubt 2016 was an election unlike any others,” replied the Texas senator. After referencing the “hard shots thrown” during the 2016 campaign, Cruz stated his love for his father, who he said “has been my hero every day in my life,” and his wife, whom he is “blessed from God” to be married to. He then described the “choice” he faced after the election.

“Now, after the election in 2016, I faced a choice,” said Cruz. “Donald Trump had been elected president and we had an opportunity to do something extraordinary. I made a conscious choice to do the job I’d been elected to do, which is to represent 28 million Texans. I’ve got a responsibility which is to fight for every person here and every person in this state.”

Working “hand in hand with the president,” Cruz described “remarkable victories” on tax cuts, jobs created, deregulation, and unemployment.

“Texans’ lives are better, so yes I could have chosen to make it about myself to be selfish and say, ‘You know what, my feelings are hurt. So I’m going to take my marbles and go home,'” said Cruz. “But I think that would have been not doing the job I was elected to, and every single day in the Senate it has been my job to fight for jobs, jobs, jobs, and to fight for 28 million Texans.”
That answer seemed practiced and parsed very well, but it was a good answer nonetheless. He doesn’t really represent Texans though, ONLY the big oil interests and hard right leaning population of our state.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I believe just the opposite. Democrat supporters tend to riot, verbally and physically attack conservatives.
How about specifically addressing Beto supporters vs. Cruz supporters.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
How would anyone know to be able to do that? Like I said maybe Beto was less support rousing and more repulsive to that audience in attendance.

Last edited by mtl1; 09-22-2018 at 09:46 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 08:58 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
I am nothing if not fair, to a fault, actually.

So I went back and listened to the entirety of the debate again. And that's one hour I won't ever get back. :-/

I wanted to go back and relook - to see if I just imagined the Cruz crowd was rowdy and rude, compared to the Beto crowd. At the beginning, when the candidates were introduced, and cheering was allowed, there was equal cheering for Cruz and Beto. So I think we can assume approx equal numbers of supporters of each in the audience.

Here are the numbers:

Incidents of sustained disruptive reaction:

Cruz - 12 Beto - 4

Cruz - 10 Beto - 12

Incidents of jeering/negative reaction:

Cruz - 5 Beto - 0

And other observations:

Incidence of jeering laughter by the candidate:

Cruz - 2 Beto - 0

Times candidate had to be verbally told more than once he was out of time, while he kept talking:

Cruz - 7 Beto - 0

Incidents where the candidate had to be told by the other he had his facts wrong or was outright lying:

Cruz - 5 Beto - 0

*Note, I forgave each candidate the long sustained applause at the very end of their 90 second conclusive statement, because that seemed expected.

So. Loveshiscountry. Do you backtrack that Cruz's audience was much less well-behaved than Beto's?
from your OP "the Beto crowd was respectfully silent and the Cruz crowd acted like they were at a football game and ignored the innumerable warnings to please, please hold your reaction. "

then in the very post I'm quoting tou say
"Incidents of sustained disruptive reaction:
Cruz - 12 Beto - 4

Cruz - 10 Beto - 12"

So which is it? Betos supporters were quiet or were they disruptive at times? Make up your mind.
And why believe your post anyway when the facts prove otherwise?

Like this fact - Beto told Cruz he had his facts wrong at the 15:30 mark. You said in this very same post it never happened. Why listen to you when you are obviously biased, don't care about the truth and don't care about policy? It's always about policy.

So ClaraC you want to show proof I made it about which supporters were worse? I made it about your inability to point out what is important. Not one thing about policy. Your post is a joke.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:00 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
How about addressing policy since it's always about policy and not the insignificant tabloid garbage you're tossing around?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:07 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
I was just frustrated.

It becomes clear why Trump dubbed Ted Cruz "Lyin' Ted". What a jackass.

So at the beginning, the crowd was allowed to cheer as the candidates were introduced, and then were instructed to hold their applause and reaction. The crowd was very evenly divided cheering for Beto and Cruise.

But as can be predicted, the Beto crowd was respectfully silent and the Cruz crowd acted like they were at a football game and ignored the innumerable warnings to please, please hold your reaction. The audience members mirror the character of the candidates.

And so, like so often, nice guys finish last.

I didn't think Beto did all that well, because he was reluctant to continue to call Cruz a liar, which he did at one point.

Best question? "Ted Cruz, it's been pointed out that although Trump called your wife ugly, and your father a murderer, and called you "lyin' Ted" you are still publicly seeking his approval. How do you react to those who say you've lost your dignity"?

Whew. That was a fabulous question, although admittedly partisan.
This is a joke right? I watched it twice and thought the crowd was just a bit rowdy but it was certainly even between the 2 sides. There was cheering, mocking and outbursts from both sides throughout the entire thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections