Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

It is kind of a weird situation
In local and state races the Democrats often cannot find anyone to run--so the voters don't have a candidate to vote for...
Beto has made an heroic effort to visit all Texas counties--even the ones in west and north that are pretty spare of voters to try to prove he wants to represent ALL Texans
Cruz only represents the interests of the wealthy and often not even the wealthy in TX--
Robert Mercer was his backer during the primary which shows how alt-weird Cruz can deal

Cruz doesn't do many open public appearances
People-normal people like the ones at Beto's Houston meeting--are likely to show up and ask impertinent questions or boo him...
Cruz does telephone meetings with staunch supporters
So he is not really trying to enlarge his base

I am really hoping Beto has energized the young people and those like me who were part of LBJ's Great Society and have a liberal streak...and minorities....
We have lot in TX but they often don't vote or vote for anti-abortion candidates

Old 08-24-2018, 05:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
They can explain all they want, but so long as they keep doing it, I'm not tuning in.
I wish I had the will power not to watch, but I am a football addict. What I will do, is not support the sponsors that advertise when there are too many knee takers. Maybe then the management will tell these AHs taking a knee means you will not play that game. Not a lover of Jerry Jones but love his stand. If this knee thing is so accepted why are we not seeing baseball players taking a knee? You want to protest against the treatment of blacks or other groups do it on your own time. Disrespecting our flag and our country is NEVER right.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
They aren’t protesting the anthem. They are protesting during the anthem.

Big difference.
No it isn't. It is the same, disrespecting our flag and country is what they are doing. I don't know how you were raised but I was taught to stand up and keep quiet during the playing of our anthem. That is what respect is all about.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No it isn't. It is the same, disrespecting our flag and country is what they are doing. I don't know how you were raised but I was taught to stand up and keep quiet during the playing of our anthem. That is what respect is all about.
Are they burning the flag?
Are they shouting down people singing the anthem?

Do you stand at attention at home during the playing of the anthem?

What the h*ll is the difference between standing and kneeling that is so terrible to you?

You're right - you don't know how I was raised.
I was raised to believe that kneeling, as we did every Sunday in church, was the ultimate form of respect.
I dare you to try to dispute that.

Those people who harassed that girl as she entered that school in Little Rock believed that she should "respect" the rules as did those who believed that "colored" people should have "respected" the rules about sitting at that Woolworth lunch counter.
This is no different. Saying those football players should "respect" the rules is exactly the same as saying that some people should remember their place.
I don't know how you were raised, but I'd bet that you are old enough to know what that means.

When every single person in every stadium stands at attention during the anthem rather than ordering beer or buying merch at the concessions stands, maybe, just maybe I'll buy this "everyone has to stand quietly to respect the flag" BS.

Until then...

Old 08-24-2018, 10:52 AM

1,733 posts, read 948,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wish I had the will power not to watch, but I am a football addict. What I will do, is not support the sponsors that advertise when there are too many knee takers. Maybe then the management will tell these AHs taking a knee means you will not play that game. Not a lover of Jerry Jones but love his stand. If this knee thing is so accepted why are we not seeing baseball players taking a knee? You want to protest against the treatment of blacks or other groups do it on your own time. Disrespecting our flag and our country is NEVER right.

Did any of those players take a knee during their time off? Or do they wait until they have an audience? NM, I answered my own question.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:05 AM

1,733 posts, read 948,193 times
Beto reminds me of Obama; he is handsome, charismatic, and a smooth talker,yet his rhetoric is empty.

Research his voting record instead of listening to his spin.

https://empowertexans.com/quicktakes...-open-borders/

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...ruz/792773002/

Old 08-24-2018, 11:08 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Beto reminds me of Obama; he is handsome, charismatic, and a smooth talker,yet his rhetoric is empty.

He's better than a hate filled Canadian blobfish who's only interest is to his biggest donors.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:14 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:

I listened to him yesterday. Live and in person. It was not spin.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:28 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:

Research his Police Record while you are at it.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:56 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Research his Police Record while you are at it.
Since you have an inside track why don't you post it instead of just insinuating there is one and it has been obscured deliberately...
I am sure knowing Ted Cruz that if there was anything to mine there it would have been front and center on Cruz's ads....
Hasn't shown up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections