Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:55 PM

1,733 posts, read 945,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
My wife and I recently moved to Round Rock and will be voting in our first Texas election. Obviously the biggest election is Cruz vs O'Rourke. We are both independent voters but I was not a fan of Obama (in particular his health care plan). I am also a fan of school vouchers, and know had they been available where I grew up, most parents would not have chosen the school in their district and opted for either a Parochial school or a better public school in a different district. With that said, every time I see a commercial with Beto, it just seems like I would be voting for Obama. Can someone who is voting for Beto elaborate on how he is different from Obama.

Welcome to Texas!

This post is in reference to the fliers being distributed about the candidates(it's a bit of a long read however, the author does a good job explaining the difference between Beto and Cruz) :

Apparently since I have a teacher living in my house, we got this flyer in our mail the other day. It talks about the US Senate race as it affects Texas teachers. It’s full of a lot of misinformation so I thought I would address it. If you know a teacher who got this, please send this on.
The first thing I noticed is that this is a US Senate race. Ninety percent of the laws and regulations that education is subject to and over 90% of the funding it receives is from the state capital. Therefore, this race has very little to do with education or teachers since it is for a federal position. I wondered why teachers would be so concerned. Then I saw that this came not from teacher advocacy groups but the Texas Democratic party executive committee.
The first point they make is about public school funding. They knock Cruz for having “voted to give away upward of $600 million in school funding to private schools.” As proof, they cite Senate Amendment 1852. I looked it up. What that amendment did was to allow parents who have a 529 plan to use that money for any kind of education expense. The flyer wants you to think Cruz was diverting tax money to private schools when in fact, he wanted to allow parents more options in their kids’ education by allowing them to use money they had saved in a new way.
The second point they make is called Voucher Policy but they don’t talk about vouchers, other than to say O’Rourke opposes them. As for Cruz, they say he promised to eliminate the federal Department of Education. What does that have to do with vouchers? Voucher systems are state policy. Neither O'Rourke nor Cruz would be eligible to vote on something like that.
The third point they make is about Teacher Retirement. Like the last one, they go off on a tangent when it comes to Cruz. Teachers have their own separate retirement system that they pay into but the flyer complains about Cruz’s votes on Social Security, none of which affect teacher retirement.
The interesting thing about this point is what they say about O’Rourke. They say he co-sponsored legislation to eliminate the “Windfall Elimination Provision.” I’d never heard of that so I looked it up. That was a law passed in 1978 and expanded in 1983 (When Democrats controlled Congress) which stipulated that if you paid into a retirement system that exempted you from Social Security contributions, as the state teacher retirement systems do, then you would not be allowed to collect the full amount from Social Security.
Edit: Since my initial post of this, I have been informed that Ted Cruz introduced virtually same bill to eliminate the WEP that O'Rourke did. This makes the Democrats' entire point on retirement completely moot.
While we’re on that subject, the Texas Teacher Retirement System used to be just as broke as Social Security. It was the Texas GOP and especially the Tea Party groups that lobbied the legislature in Austin to fully fund the system. Now, teachers in Texas have a secure, fully-funded retirement system.
The fourth point they make is about “High Stakes Testing.” This is where teachers, schools, and districts are rated on test scores. The complaint is that it forces teachers to “teach to the test.” O’Rourke opposes this and they say Cruz is for it.
Remember I said that 90% of legislation that affects schools come from the states? The other 10% comes from the federal government through the Department of Education. Remember how earlier they were knocking Cruz because he wants to get rid of that department? If that department went away, so would the high stakes testing! That’s why Cruz and other Republicans want to get rid of it. All it does is impose these kinds of mandates on the states. It was created to improve test scores but in forty years, it has not accomplished that goal. It’s time to think of something new.
The fifth point they make is labeled “Teachers” but it should be “Teachers unions” because it credits O’Rourke with supporting them and quotes Cruz as saying that teacher unions are a “political army.” The thing is that Cruz is right on this point. Political action is one of the big things unions do and that is especially true of teacher unions. In the US, two of the most powerful and politically-connected unions are the American Federation of Teachers and the Nation Education Association.
The flyer wants you to think that Cruz is somehow anti-education because he opposes the teacher unions. However, when you think about it, unions exist to protect their members’ jobs through collective bargaining. Exactly what their members do is secondary. For example, the United Auto Workers union cares less about the quality of the cars its members produce than they do about making sure those members are paid a good wage with commensurate benefits. The same is true of the teachers unions. Quality of education is secondary to members’ jobs. It isn’t that they’re bad people, they just have a different set of priorities than they want you to think they have.
The bottom line is that every politician is pro-education. They all want our kids to get a good education. However, facts are facts. Despite spending more money on average per student than any other country, US kids rank 17th in math and science and Texas ranks in the forties of the fifty states.
One set of politicians wants to keep doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result by throwing more money at it while the other set thinks it’s time to try something new. Vouchers are in use in many of the countries the US is behind and in many of the states that Texas is behind. In all the places it’s been implemented, none of the anti-choice crowd’s dire predictions have come true.
So why are the teachers unions and so many education advocacy groups opposed to voucher systems? Because it represents a huge change to the status quo. I have worked in I/T all my life. I have seen firsthand how people fear change, even when it is beneficial and makes their lives easier. This is especially true of people whose jobs and positions of power and authority are tightly tied to the status quo and that certainly describes the teachers unions and much of the education establishment in this country.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:12 PM

1,733 posts, read 945,431 times
I could care less if someone can skateboard across a stage or not, I focus on a person's accomplishments and how they can help or state, and country.

Ted's accomplishments:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/t...ng-credentials

• Graduated valedictorian in 1988 from Second Baptist High School
  • Graduated *** laude from Princeton University in 1992
  • Graduated magna *** laude from Harvard Law School in 1995
  • 1992 U.S. National Debate Champion representing Princeton
  • 1995 World Debating Championship semi-finalist representing Harvard
  • Served a law clerk to Chief Justice William Rehnquist, making him the first Hispanic ever to clerk for a Chief Justice of the United States
  • Served as Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 to 2008, making him the first Hispanic Solicitor General in Texas, the youngest Solicitor General in the entire country and the longest tenure in Texas history
  • Partner at the law firm Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, where he led the firm’s U.S. Supreme Court and national appellate litigation practice
  • Authored over 80 SCOTUS briefs and presented over 40 oral arguments before The Court
  • In the landmark case of District of Columbia v. Heller, Cruz assembled a coalition of 31 states in defense of the principle that the 2nd Amendment guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms
  • Presented oral arguments before the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
  • Defended the Ten Commandments monument on the Texas State Capitol grounds,
  • Defended the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools
  • Defended the State of Texas against an attempt by the International Court of Justice to re-open the criminal convictions of 51 murderers on death row throughout the United States
  • Director of the Office of Policy Planning at the Federal Trade Commission
  • Domestic Policy Advisor to U.S. President George W. Bush on the 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign
  • Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, where he taught U.S. Supreme Court litigation
  • Ted Cruz is currently junior US Senator from Texas, defeating Texas Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst who was heavily favored and backed by the DC old-guard GOP
  • Defeated Democrat Paul Sadler in the general election
  • Endorsed by The Tea Party and the Republican Liberty Caucus
  • AWARDS: “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business,” Chambers USA (2009 & 2010) “50 Most Influential Minority Lawyers in America,” National Law Journal (2008) “25 Greatest Texas Lawyers of the Past Quarter Century,” Texas Lawyer (2010) “20 Young Hispanic Americans on the Rise,” Newsweek (1999) Traphagen Distinguished Alumnus, Harvard Law School
  • On November 14, 2012, Cruz was appointed vice-chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee
  • Unlike Obama, Cruz didn’t seat in the U.S. Senate and vote “present.” He has sponsored 97 bills. Here are a few crucial pieces of legislation sponsored by Cruz:
    • ObamaCare Repeal Act
    • Prohibit use of drones from killing citizens of the United States within the United States
    • Disarm Criminals and Protect Communities Act
    • Firearm Straw Purchasing and Trafficking Prevention Act
    • Defund Obamacare Act of 2013
    • A bill to amend the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 to permit States to require proof of citizenship for registration to vote in elections for Federal office
    • A bill to designate the United States courthouse located at 101 East Pecan Street in Sherman, Texas, as the Paul Brown United States Courthouse
    • A bill to require the Secretary of State to offer rewards of up to $5,000,000 for information regarding the attacks on the United States diplomatic mission at Benghazi, Libya that began on September 11, 2012
    • State Marriage Defense Act of 2014
    • A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the intentional discrimination of a person or organization by an employee of the Internal Revenue Service
    • A bill to prohibit the Department of the Treasury from assigning tax statuses to organizations based on their political beliefs and activities
    • American Energy Renaissance Act of 2014
    • A bill to deny admission to the United States to any representative to the United Nations who has been found to have been engaged in espionage activities or a terrorist activity against the United States and poses a threat to United States national security interests
    • SuperPAC Elimination Act of 2014
    • Free All Speech Act of 2014
    • Guantanamo Bay Detainee Transfer Suspension Act of 2014
    • A bill to require the Secretary of State to offer rewards totaling up to $5,000,000 for information on the kidnapping and murder of Naftali Fraenkel, a dual United States-Israeli citizen, that began on June 12, 2014
    • A bill to prevent the expansion of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program unlawfully created by Executive memorandum on August 15, 2012
    • Sanction Iran, Safeguard America Act of 2014
    • Expatriate Terrorists Act
    • Operation United Assistance Tax Exclusion Act of 2014
    • Introduced Kate's Law

Old 10-31-2018, 05:17 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:
My wife and I recently moved to Round Rock and will be voting in our first Texas election. Obviously the biggest election is Cruz vs O'Rourke. We are both independent voters but I was not a fan of Obama (in particular his health care plan). I am also a fan of school vouchers, and know had they been available where I grew up, most parents would not have chosen the school in their district and opted for either a Parochial school or a better public school in a different district. With that said, every time I see a commercial with Beto, it just seems like I would be voting for Obama. Can someone who is voting for Beto elaborate on how he is different from Obama.

Robert(Bob) Francis O`Rourke is a Communist and he has no problem exposing that to all.
Venezuela had 1000's of O'Rourke's, during the Chavez years.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:40 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
JUST SAY NO TO TED CRUZ PLEASE

Denton, West Texas, Ft. Worthians, and other Texans
For the 1 fact alone that Beto is against fracking-I say please vote for him!

Our beautiful Texas and our drinking water is at stake. Fracking causes earthquakes and potentially sinkholes if they are drilling near water aquifers.

NM official says Texas landowners are “stealing” millions of gallons of water; selling it back for fracking - News - Lubbock Avalanche-Journal - Lubbock, TX

Group seeks fracking ban in Texas town | Al Jazeera America

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ur-communities

https://www.ecowatch.com/fracking-bo...881837670.html

Scientific article on fracking. https://sciencing.com/what-is-the-re...-13400292.html

From that article “In operations where mining activities removes gas or oil through fracking, much of the wastewater is inserted back into the same area without causing earthquakes or sinkholes. But in areas where wastewater wells are drilled to receive the byproducts of these mining operations, these fluids are inserted into areas never before drilled, causing an increase in subterranean pressure that often lead to human-induced earthquakes.”

The original meaning of conservative is a very positive word that conveys conservation, prudence and carefulness. I think it is fair to return to those values. Liberals and conservatives both have love of “home” and the environment they live in-please join me in voting for Beto.

Beto’s score card for Conservation voting Beto O'Rourke | League of Conservation Voters Scorecard

Maybe Cruz’s pro-fracking stance is partly based on his anti-clean water stance? https://www.lcv.org/article/ted-cruz...-water-issues/
If we don’t have clean water-we are all going to die. Cruz is not for us.

No Commies allowed!
Commie Bob, just thinks he has a chance in the Republic of Texas.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:49 AM

40,937 posts, read 49,032,812 times
Beto by a landslide. No use to vote, stay home. He's got it in the bag.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:59 AM

23,844 posts, read 14,968,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Beto O'Rourke speaks, just like a Pastor from any Mega Church from anywhere in the South.

He does not like any Republicans, Period. He want's to continue the same things, Barack Obama tried to do during his Presidency.

Beto O'Rourke says the exact things, that Nancy Pelosi and Bernie Sanders want to do the same.
More BS. You haven't heard about his trip with Will Hurd, i take it.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 AM

17,388 posts, read 9,211,900 times
Quote:
Well, I appreciate the comments that simply focused on why one should vote for a specific candidate (instead of trying to smear the opponent).

As mentioned in the original post, Cruz seems like Obama on the one commercial that is being rammed down everyone's throat (I can't believe how many times I've seen that one). He loses me on all the points he brings up and I've very tired of the "shut down the government" comment which I have always thought was complete nonsense and nothing but rhetoric). I'm also noticing O'Rourke seems to be somewhat soft on immigration. I've always been pretty black and white on that one. You either want the border secured or you want an open border (I see no middle ground on that).

My wife is leaning to O'Rourke over the women issues so we may cancel each other out. In reading up somewhat on that, it appears Cruz is simply saying his past voting record is more about it being a state vs a federal issue. The Planned Parenthood defunding I am somewhat mixed on. I laugh at the comments from supporters that talk about all the other services provided to women as my research on this in the past showed that those services were also available at other clinics that didn't do abortions (I think it's apparent that the biggest part of their services that differentiates them are the abortions). And although I don't feel taxpayer dollars should go to that, I also don't want this thing getting to the point where a woman is put in danger by performing an illegal abortion. I've heard the whole adoption argument and the religious side, but don't think that's a practical solution.
On Abortion .... I tend to think it's a dog whistle with little understanding about the whistle or the dog.
I'm "pro-life" I guess, but I'm also pro-choice -- I could never have an abortion, I would counsel any of my Granddaughters to not have an abortion - But that's always a personal choice in my opinion. I have a relative that DID have an abortion in 1970 - keep in mind that the Roe v Wade decision wasn't until 1974 AND has been Law of the Land (a law never passed) since that time. It's also been a dog-whistle since that time and YET has not changed. It's a stupid Political Argument.

My relative went to Mexico for her abortion, came home - got an infection, wound up in the hospital and almost died. She was never able to have children after that - it really messed up her entire life. That shouldn't happen to anyone because a college student gets pregnant and is not ready to raise a child.
Late term abortions should be banned and I think that will happen - I don't ever seen Abortion being banned in the USA on a wide basis and certainly not in Texas. People won't vote for it and won't support it -- that's been proven for over 40 years. It's a Get Out the Vote issue that nobody should fall for.

On the funding for the planned parenthood clinics -- the money that funds those clinics (let's be honest, they do mainly abortions) doesn't fund clinics in areas that have no doctors, no medical facilities. My same relative lives on the Mexico/Texas border and I mean directly on it with the Rio Grande as the back of her property -- she is a 2 hour drive to any medical facility and that includes a Doctor or Nurse. PP Clinics are in the high density Urban areas for the most part -- lots of Doctors, Nurses & Medical Facilities.

My main issues with Beto would be the Border issues, his announcement that he is in favor of Impeaching the President of the United States and his allegiance to both BIG MONEY and the Leftist Agenda. His background is a horror and I'm not talking about his drunk driving, leaving the scene of an accident that could have killed everyone in the other vehicle -- I'm talking about his attempt to use Eminent Domain to take a part of the El Paso Segundo Barrio (most historic Barrio in the USA) for a Development Project headed by his Billionaire Father-in-Law. Beto was the elected City Councilman for this Barrio. It was big news in 2006 -- even the Left Wing News Media in Texas (Texas Observer) did articles about it - as did Texas Monthly. I consider that sort of this Corruption - GAIN using Political Power and it was a really dirty trick. On the up side -- it was exposed and not much of it ever happened, a lot of that was that Texas passed a Constitutional Amendment on Eminent Domain in 2009.

BETO O’ROURKE ONCE VOTED TO TAKE AWAY HOMES FROM LOW INCOME CONSTITUENTS — HIS FAMILY BENEFITED |Daily Caller/New York Times - 10/29/18

Beto moved on to higher power -- he ran for US Congress and now running for the US Senate as a National Candidate. Already being promoted for President in 2020. He is just not my kind of guy.

Eminent Disaster
A cabal of politicians and profiteers targets an El Paso barrio |Texas Observer - May 2007

The downtown plan has dogged him for years because of its dissonance with the political identity he’s embraced as a congressman. In this case, the candidate whose slogan is “people not PACs” joined ranks with some of the city’s most powerful businessmen on a project that drew vocal opposition in one of America’s poorest zip codes—the kind of marginalized community he has more often sought to champion. But the alliances he forged then also helped make his rise to higher office possible - alliances with both Wealthy Republicans and Democrats -- It's about the MONEY.
His funding is mainly from out of State in HUGE amounts and he does take PAC money according to Open Secrets.

The redevelopment plan had its genesis in 2003, when a group of about 350 people, culled largely from the political and business elite of El Paso, formed an organization called the Paso Del Norte Group with the aim of revitalizing the city. Membership in the group cost as much as $1,800 a year, and its ranks included O’Rourke (who owned a small technology company and alternative newspaper) and several of his family members—most notably, his father-in-law, William Sanders, who had recently moved back to El Paso from Chicago after selling his construction company for $5.4 billion.

I inherently distrust most politicians - I'm not a Cruz fan, but at least he understands issues, does not support eminent domain at the border. I want border security but a total physical wall is not the answer because the Texas/Mexico Border is in the Middle of the Rio Grande River and we can't give back the River - it supports all of the Border region. Cruz was a mess during the Obama years, he has been a lot better the last 2 years and I hope he learned a good lesson. Beto is a known quantity and what we know is NOT GOOD.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:19 AM

39,026 posts, read 51,082,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Perhaps you can refresh our memory on the last time a Candidate became the President of the U tied States when he could NOT WIN an election to the Senate in his own State.

I’m aware that this will be Shocking ... but “Great Hair & Teeth” are just NOT goi g to cut it in today’s world.
Why do you think Normal People would ever Vote for a Senator that was KNOWN to have no interest in being a Senator and only interested in a Presidential Campaign.

Illinois got that with Obama.
Texas has been there - done that with Cruz and he is still struggling to recover from that stunt.

You RRALLY think Texans will do that again? Cruz learned his Lesson, Beto will learn his.
He is running a National Campaign will Out of State Money because the Leftists ha e decided he is the next Obama. A “Rock Star” ..... you think we are Stupid??

Think Again.
We proved in 16 that qualifications, experience, character and competence are not requirements to be president. If Beto makes it close in Texas that will be good enough. Probably doesn't even need that. He's got that "it" and younger voters, who will make the difference in 2020 if they just vote, are enthused about him. He's a winner, like him or not.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 AM

23,844 posts, read 14,968,500 times
[quote=Kibby;53514479]On Abortion .... I tend to think it's a dog whistle with little understanding about the whistle or the dog.
I'm "pro-life" I guess, but I'm also pro-choice -- I could never have an abortion, I would counsel any of my Granddaughters to not have an abortion - But that's always a personal choice in my opinion. I have a relative that DID have an abortion in 1970 - keep in mind that the Roe v Wade decision wasn't until 1974 AND has been Law of the Land (a law never passed) since that time. It's also been a dog-whistle since that time and YET has not changed. It's a stupid Political Argument.

My relative went to Mexico for her abortion, came home - got an infection, wound up in the hospital and almost died. She was never able to have children after that - it really messed up her entire life. That shouldn't happen to anyone because a college student gets pregnant and is not ready to raise a child.
Late term abortions should be banned and I think that will happen - I don't ever seen Abortion being banned in the USA on a wide basis and certainly not in Texas. People won't vote for it and won't support it -- that's been proven for over 40 years. It's a Get Out the Vote issue that nobody should fall for.

On the funding for the planned parenthood clinics -- the money that funds those clinics (let's be honest, they do mainly abortions) doesn't fund clinics in areas that have no doctors, no medical facilities. My same relative lives on the Mexico/Texas border and I mean directly on it with the Rio Grande as the back of her property -- she is a 2 hour drive to any medical facility and that includes a Doctor or Nurse. PP Clinics are in the high density Urban areas for the most part -- lots of Doctors, Nurses & Medical Facilities.

My main issues with Beto would be the Border issues, his announcement that he is in favor of Impeaching the President of the United States and his allegiance to both BIG MONEY and the Leftist Agenda. His background is a horror and I'm not talking about his drunk driving, leaving the scene of an accident that could have killed everyone in the other vehicle -- I'm talking about his attempt to use Eminent Domain to take a part of the El Paso Segundo Barrio (most historic Barrio in the USA) for a Development Project headed by his Billionaire Father-in-Law. Beto was the elected City Councilman for this Barrio. It was big news in 2006 -- even the Left Wing News Media in Texas (Texas Observer) did articles about it - as did Texas Monthly. I consider that sort of this Corruption - GAIN using Political Power and it was a really dirty trick. On the up side -- it was exposed and not much of it ever happened, a lot of that was that Texas passed a Constitutional Amendment on Eminent Domain in 2009.

If using eminent domain to take away property for personal use is a bad thing, then you did not vote for GWB because he was given part of a baseball team in oder for the owners to get land for the stadium. Including an old woman's house for the parking lot? How about voting against Trump for also using eminent domain for his casino parking lot? How about that Canadian pipeline that took farmland in Liberty County for sludge going to a refinery and then on to China. The USA got no benefit from the oil.How about all that land taken for the shut down super collider? When it failed, they couldn't give the ruined land away.

How about what that pipeline and others like it did to the NA. And you think Republicans will not use any tool in the box to get what they want? LOL

Last edited by crone; 10-31-2018 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: eya space

Old 10-31-2018, 10:54 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,514,124 times
Quote:
WHAT??? Cruz is the one who supports federal tax dollars for parents to choose to send their kids to private charter or religious schools! Why should my tax dollars be used so someone can forego public schools to send their child to the private Christian school of their choice? Beto supports public education, not hand outs for private institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.