Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 03:02 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
There were only 12 congressional districts with a Democratic Congressional Representative that voted for Trump over Hillary. Prominently in Minnesota there were three such districts. Minnesota has what is called the Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party, which is probably the most conservative Democrats in the country.

Districts with Democratic Congressmen with Trump lead over Hillary in 2016
  1. MN-07 30.8%
  2. MN-08 15.6%
  3. MN-01 14.9%
  4. PA-17 10.1%
  5. WI-03 4.5%
  6. IA-02 4.1%
  7. NY-18 1.9%
  8. NH-01 1.6%
  9. NJ-05 1.1%
  10. AZ-01 1.1%
  11. NV-03 1.0%
  12. IL-17 0.7%

PA-17 is 88.67% White, 5.91% Black, 1.24% Asian and 7.56% Hispanic. The district includes the urban districts of Scranton, Wilkes Barre, and Easton PA where unemployment is high, but the cities are majority white.
The district voted for Barack Obama twice, and outside of Minnesota is the biggest vote for Trump for a district with a Democratic congressman. Republicans saw a good opportunity to try to reduce the Democratic representation from 5 out of 18 to 4 out of 18.

Fortunately the Democrats prevailed in their lawsuit claiming that Republicans had gerrymandered the districts in violation of state law, and the courts drew new districts which will have less obvious outcomes. In fact several PA Republican congressmen are resigning rather than campaign in the new districts.
DFLers are not conservative . DFL's just happen to nominate Democrats in conservative districts who were actually able to win .

Winning those districts don't make other DFLers conservative by default .

Governor Dayton isn't a conservative by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 06:44 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There is a big difference between not wanting to pay taxes and being conservative .

As much as Conservatives want to claim they converted Cardi B or Kanye, lol, neither of those artist have ever actually shown any conservative beliefs .
In the hip hop thread someone pointed out to me that Cardi B actually supported Bernie, which I didn't know. Good for her! But when you post an anti-tax rant that is picked up and promoted by ultra-conservative gadfly Ben Shapiro, I'd say that is prima facie evidence of showing conservative beliefs. And as for Kanye West, running around in MAGA hats is also PF evidence.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:14 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
In the hip hop thread someone pointed out to me that Cardi B actually supported Bernie, which I didn't know. Good for her! But when you post an anti-tax rant that is picked up and promoted by ultra-conservative gadfly Ben Shapiro, I'd say that is prima facie evidence of showing conservative beliefs. And as for Kanye West, running around in MAGA hats is also PF evidence.
Not wanting to pay taxes is not a political stance

If you polled most people, their perfered tax rate would be 0%.
Ben Shapiro actually running with it is hilarious .

As for Kanye , all he has done is wear the hat. Have you ever once heard him talk about policy , government spending , tax code, school choice, gay rights, healthcare, immigration .

The answer is no.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:28 AM

10,725 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Chance The Rapper, T.I., Kanye West and P. Diddy are Trump supporters.
Eventually all black rappers will be.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:41 AM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
What would Malcolm X say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjS0ZVa8oyI

Old 09-29-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I notice Denzel Washington's regular speaking voice sounds like Malcolm X's voice.
I say regular speaking voice because I know Denzel played Malcolm X in the film too.
The most perfect casting ever.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Historically, Republicans appeal to those of us who know what we have to lose; Democrats appeal to those perceived as losers seeking something to loot, at the expense of those the Leftist ideologues seek to vilify. It pretty much has come down to that.
I don't know what you base that on. Aside from keeping SS and Medicare in tact and possibly getting single payer healthcare, it comes down to social issues for me. I can't back a party that wants to ban abortion and gay marriage among other horrible things....

Old 09-29-2018, 05:22 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Theoretically could the African American vote ever become Republican?

Yes it could ... definitely.

But that would mean the Republican party has changed quite a bit. Good luck with that ...

Old 09-29-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Theoretically could the African American vote ever become Republican?

Yes it could ... definitely.

But that would mean the Republican party has changed quite a bit. Good luck with that ...
It has changed quite a bit this year, because of Trump.
Chance The Rapper, T.I., Kanye West and P. Diddy are Trump supporters.
I seriously doubt they'd be Ted Cruz supporters or any other Republican candidate of 2016.
And Trump has the lowest ever Black unemployment rate.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:35 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
The answer to the question is sure.

Who would have guessed during the Civil War that the GOP would become the dominant party in the South. If that could happen, anything can happen.

A better question might be can the same party simultaneously be the home of most blacks and most Southern white conservatives. Pulling that off would be quite a feat and is extremely unlikely unless there is major change one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections