Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 04:42 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

No he is very unpopular.

He's lining himself up a spot to be a paid shill / lobbyist in DC after he leaves office. He can't afford to pizz off the Democrats right now. He'll need their favors once he leaves office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 04:50 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Trump had a better approval rating than Obama earlier this year.
What you people overlook, apparently deliberately, is that normal presidents have high and low points. The question is job approval, and people can give high marks to a president from the other party when they do something right, and low marks to a president from their own party sometimes when they suck.

That's normal, so one would expect the president's approval rating to fluctuate.

Trump's rating is always in the gutter. You will find points where his rate is higher than some other presidents' at the same point in their administrations, but those others did not start in the gutter nor stay down in the gutter, Trump does.

Trump has never, not once, cracked the 50% mark. No one honestly expects him to anymore, it's beyond him and all of the political consultants of either party know this now.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:53 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
nobody would
That match would be Muhammad Ali vs. Don Knotts.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:53 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I really do think Jeff Flake is trying to do all the things he thinks will play well for a presidential run. He knows Trump has become enemy number one with women, so he asks for the FBI investigation. He has directly opposed Trump in numerous ways, even though he mostly votes the way Trump wants him to. I can't help but think he's setting himself up for a presidential run. He's a Republican so - no - I wouldn't vote for him.
He couldn't even get re-elected in his state, so he retired early. While crazier things have happened, I trust a politician recognizes the writing on the wall.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:06 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
He's been setting himself up for a run as of August 1, 2017, the date his book "Conscience of a Conservative: A Rejection of Destructive Politics and a Return to Principle" was published.

I'm surprised anyone thought otherwise.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:09 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,496,731 times
lmao, he has no chance. He probably has a cushy lobbyist job lined up anyway.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:16 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I might have considered Flake if he had voted against the tax bill
Or if he had voted to NOT vote on Kavanaugh in Committee vs wimping out and asking for the FBI investigation AFTER he approved Kavanaugh to go to the main floor
Biden learned to his long time chagrin that letting Thomas OUT of committee w/o a vote up/down was the wrong thing to do
Because when the FBI evidence and the testimony at the hearings were "considered" by the Senate at large
Thomas still passed...
Murkowski was a Senator and voted YES for Clarence Thomas
Biden voted NO
The VP who couldn't spell cast the deciding vote in the Senate and Thomas was seated---big mistake...
Clarence Thomas was voted in 52-48. They didn't need the VP's vote.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:19 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I agree. Flake is now officially designated the most worthless Republican Rino. He could not get reelected senator in his own state so he decided not to run. Jeff Flake for president is a joke. He could not even get 1 primary delegate.

On the other hand Lindsey Graham greatly improved his reputation this week by having the courage to speak the obvious truth! He is now a top 5 contender for the 2024 Republican nomination.
What Lindsay Graham did was to completely disregard Dr. Ford and her testimony. Most people believe she was credible, but Graham just shoved that aside and yelled about poor Brett, and how hard this has been on him, and aren't we all ashamed? Basically, he stood up there and screamed that Ford was a liar. It was shameful. And I'm sure a lot of women saw it that way.

The GOP is working very hard, it seems, to give large swaths of people reasons to never vote for them again. Blacks, Hispanics and now women. When all the old white guys die off, who will be left?

Old 09-29-2018, 11:44 PM

753 posts, read 843,059 times
100%!

But, if things go even more south for Trump, I think you'll see the rise of a Republican woman like Nikki "I don't get confused" Haley.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:13 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
100%!

But, if things go even more south for Trump, I think you'll see the rise of a Republican woman like Nikki "I don't get confused" Haley.
Things haven't "gone south" for Trump, at least not for Trump personally.

His problem is that he has had no choice but to align himself with a party that, since the latter part of the Reagan era, has been every bit as much the enemy of the people as have been the Democrats and the national media. In fact, a strong case could be made that it was the GOP who led the way on that front and declared that war. Much of what the Democrats have done since began as responses to Republican offenses and then later became the laughable lunacy we see from Ds today, as they kept pushing the leftward envelope with unbridled reckless abandon. They simply had no idea when enough was enough. Today they are simply nuts and greased Trump's path to victory. Most Americans, including and especially Trump, know that both parties are lost causes.

Nikki Haley is a nobody and is going nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections