Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:21 PM

2,070 posts, read 892,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
What do voters actually like about Cruz? He's Republican, but what else??

He can read children's bedtime stories for 21 hours on the senate floor.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman75229 View Post
I’m not putting much stock in the latest polls since the term “likely voters” points to white middle-aged people.

I saw a local story on CBS or NBC stating that in Dallas county they registered over 200,000 new voters in the last 2 months. According to the story, those registering skewed younger and mostly non-white.

Now Texans are apathetic to voting so who knows if they will turn out. Cruz might win but I hope it scares him and the rest of RNC back to the middle.

I usually vote all over the board, but I see this as a referendum on trump, so straight D for me.

I might indeed be 10 more years of R, but the normal people are getting really tired of the hard right religious turn we have made with the current state government.
I am not a huge supporter of polls either but that doesn't mean we can assume those who are registering are going to lean left by any means and like it or not most people do not vote for their senators based on how they feel about the party in office.

As for a local story on any major network, take it with a grain of salt.

No matter how much you say you vote all over the place, anyone who says they are voting straight ticket is most likely not really open minded. I might also add, don't think because new registered voters are younger or minorities they will all vote Democrat. That is like saying, anyone over 40 or 50 all vote Republican.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
What do voters actually like about Cruz? He's Republican, but what else??
Actual many people do not like him. They don't like his personality, the same as they do not care for Trumps personality but they might like Cruz's conservatism and his religious leanings. Especially in bible belt regions, being a strong Christian means a lot. It shouldn't but it does.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You are correct about the "guest worker" program and it's even more than that. My sister moved to the Border 25 years ago - the first thing she learned is that she needed a "good family to bond with in Mexico" - it's a symbiotic relationship. Her worker crosses daily to work for her, he works just for her and then returns home that night. He helps her with her animals, he helps her tend her land and do repairs. His wife sends her food she has cooked, send special Holiday Cookies to take to her family for Christmas (they are Soooo Good) and takes care of her if she get's sick. She takes gifts to her Mexican family for birthdays, attends the Quincinarias (traditional coming of age for girls) and all important events as a Special Guest.

That was the way is was ... they way it has been for many Generations.
Then came the Leftists, then came the Narcoficante and their MONEY to buy the Leftists.

Consider this ...... when was the last time you read about DACA in the press???
Why haven't you read about DACA in the press???

President Trump presented a plan to allow them to stay LEGALLY and a path to citizenship, but the Chain Migration path had to be stopped. No more cousins of cousins and cousins neighbors. Immediate Family ONLY ... no more cousins 17 times removed.
The Leftists and the Democrats REJECTED all the President's plans .... and kicked DACA under the bus.

DACA went "poof" and the Activists didn't even care ... because THEY don't care, they only want to Abolish ICE and Open Borders .... mostly now for the Narcoficante and the Central Americans and even Islamists.

Normal People understand this -- Leftists think they are fooling the Hispanics, they are not.
And the left will continue to lecture us on what a bigot Trump is and how he hates all minorities.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:45 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Answer is "He is NOT Leftist MOB".
A lot of Texans, including me - are not big fans of Ted Cruz .... BUT ....
At the end of the Day ....he is NOT the MOB and the MOB is dangerous to all of us.

Trump and McConnell just use that word and all of his "followers" start to use it. I think the GOP who don't pay taxes like Trump, Kushner, etc. are more mob ruled. The mobs in the 50's, 60's never paid taxes. They got away w/ all sorts of illegal activity like the GOP today who are the real mobsters. They think, they know they are above the "rules" that the rest of us have to play by. Paying taxes is okay for the middle class and lower classes, but not for the GOP like Trump and Kushner and others like him. I guess I'll vote w/ the mob then.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 10-14-2018 at 07:55 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 07:50 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...urke-6310.html

Lol the O’Rourke “phenomenon “ sputtered out fast
Money really doesn't mean anything. It comes down to "What is your message?..." every time.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:51 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Actual many people do not like him. They don't like his personality, the same as they do not care for Trumps personality but they might like Cruz's conservatism and his religious leanings. Especially in bible belt regions, being a strong Christian means a lot. It shouldn't but it does.
I get what you're saying. The thing w/ Trump's personality, it's more than personality to me. He's just an amoral person and I think it matters when you are leading a country like the US, separate from his policies, which I don't agree with, but character matters to me. Maybe not in a small 3rd world country where leaders are all corrupt, but we can do better than Trump.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 10-14-2018 at 08:10 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 08:24 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and most do not care about a few crossing the border now to work. That is why so many of us want to see a good worker program, but that does not mean we want to see illegals from all over entering and using our government to get benefits

I think it is pretty safe to say Curz's seat looks pretty safe
If people do not want illegals coming into the USA they need to stop shopping at the places who hire them.

A local restaurant chain years ago was fined for bussing their workers from one town to another when immigration was coming. They went nationwide.

A beloved Houston donut store forfeited 1.5 million in property for hiring illegals. They expanded.

Everybody knows that immigration policy needs work. Nobody wants to take the hit of higher prices it will take to fix it. So we continue fighting over walls and DACA. Meanwhile they keep coming because they can get hired.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:17 AM

172 posts, read 559,458 times
Oh look, another condescending post from NWA.

Let’s start off with reading comprehension. No where did I say those registering were of any ideological bent. Record numbers of people are registering all over Texas. All I said is that if those people vote in high numbers, then the polls are probably wrong. Might be wrong in the R’s favor or in the D’s favor. I don’t know and neither do you.

I take all news stories with a grain of salt as I am not a sheeple. The story however was factually correct.

As to my voting. You have no idea what you are talking about. I guess I shouldn’t have said straight D as I will be voting for the R District Attorney. Having read may of your posts, I can surmise that I am far less close minded than you seem to be.

Please exercise your intellect in any future posts that quote me.

Last edited by sparkman75229; 10-14-2018 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Quoted wrong post

Old 10-14-2018, 09:40 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman75229 View Post
Oh look, another condescending post from NWA.

Let’s start off with reading comprehension. No where did I say those registering were of any ideological bent. Record numbers of people are registering all over Texas. All I said is that if those people vote in high numbers, then the polls are probably wrong. Might be wrong in the R’s favor or in the D’s favor. I don’t know and neither do you.

I take all news stories with a grain of salt as I am not a sheeple. The story however was factually correct.

As to my voting. You have no idea what you are talking about. I guess I shouldn’t have said straight D as I will be voting for the R District Attorney. Having read may of your posts, I can surmise that I am far less close minded than you seem to be.

Please exercise your intellect in any future posts that quote me.
I beg your pardon. I was not aware your name was on the post I responded to. I read mnita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections