Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:07 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

I'm voting early today, and our neighborhood newspaper published our ballot. It contained several bond issues in which voters were asked to vote on increased taxes for our MUD districts. In Texas, a MUD district is a political subdivision of the State of Texas authorized by the Texas Commission of Environmental Quality (TCEQ) to provide water, sewage, drainage and other utility-related services within the MUD boundaries. Unfortunately, many of our homes here are older, and MUD districts were added after our subdivisions were in place, doubling or more the cost of our property tax rates without our approval since we owned our homes before they existed.

Bond elections are held in many states, and they are notorious for lack of transparency in explaining what these tax increases will cost taxpayers and what exactly the monies will be used for. In our case, these elections involve a potentially UNLIMITED increase in the tax rate of MUD districts, ostensibly to improve drainage and septic systems caused by heavy rains. So to all the readers out in CD land, please read your ballots carefully. It is likely you will have bond issues to vote on as well, and approving them might cost you a lot of money for a long, long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 10:58 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
As in most states, bond issues are on the ballot.
What people "see" when voting on a bond issue is, the finished product, never taking into account what the product cost, or how long it will take to pay it off.
We have a prime example of that here in California.
We have bond issues on the ballot to build new schools, children's hospitals, road repair, etc.

More than likely all will pass, because stupid Californians always vote for these bond issues.
People could take a lesson from me.
When I get my sample ballot in the mail, the first thing I do is look for the issues that require money to be spent, and I always fill in the "no" selection.

What I see is a population that thinks of these bond issues as a credit card.
Sure, sign now, and pay later.
This is one of the reasons this once great state has become the cesspool that it is.
The state is spending well beyond the means to pay back.

Liberal thinking has pushed this state into the abyss, and it is doubtful it will ever recover.

Bob.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:01 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Liberal thinking has pushed this state into the abyss, and it is doubtful it will ever recover.
California's financial situation is actually much better than it was a few years ago.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:29 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
California's financial situation is actually much better than it was a few years ago.
The bonds should all come with some sort of linked, specific tax increase. Then let the people vote on it.

For example, bond to build bridges will be retired by adding 1 cent per gallon gas tax. That sort of thing.

Seems a very fair and democratic way to do it.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I thought Democrats like tax increases... Oh yeah just not on them... Silly me...

Old 10-23-2018, 12:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
I was of the belief that Houston in particular needed better drainage and sewer systems.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:40 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The bonds should all come with some sort of linked, specific tax increase. Then let the people vote on it.

For example, bond to build bridges will be retired by adding 1 cent per gallon gas tax. That sort of thing.

Seems a very fair and democratic way to do it.
bonds are one thing it is the special tax districts that are the real problem. Many have no sunsets, no requirements on exactly what can and cannot be funded and often no caps or meaningless caps.

In the greater seattle area we got saddled with a special tax district that will ultimately take about 50 billion dollars through sales car and property taxes in order to fund transit.

It is a massive tax increase so much so that properties just outside the borders spiked.

Right now we have a carbon tax on the ballot that is extremely regressive and will hurt the working stiffs a lot more than the middle classes and wealthy. but because it is "carbon' i am thinking people will vote for it without fully understanding they are voting to let big corps off the hook and put hard working moms and dads on the hook for higher energy prices while letting the biggest energy consumers (Boeing etc) get away scott free.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:41 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I thought Democrats like tax increases... Oh yeah just not on them... Silly me...
funny cause i thought republicans like starting wars and eating babies....

(see anyone can just make stuff up and pretend it is real)

Old 10-23-2018, 12:42 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm voting early today, and our neighborhood newspaper published our ballot. It contained several bond issues in which voters were asked to vote on increased taxes for our MUD districts. In Texas, a MUD district is a political subdivision of the State of Texas authorized by the Texas Commission of Environmental Quality (TCEQ) to provide water, sewage, drainage and other utility-related services within the MUD boundaries. Unfortunately, many of our homes here are older, and MUD districts were added after our subdivisions were in place, doubling or more the cost of our property tax rates without our approval since we owned our homes before they existed.

Bond elections are held in many states, and they are notorious for lack of transparency in explaining what these tax increases will cost taxpayers and what exactly the monies will be used for. In our case, these elections involve a potentially UNLIMITED increase in the tax rate of MUD districts, ostensibly to improve drainage and septic systems caused by heavy rains. So to all the readers out in CD land, please read your ballots carefully. It is likely you will have bond issues to vote on as well, and approving them might cost you a lot of money for a long, long time.

Bond....James Bond....

Old 10-23-2018, 12:48 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
As in most states, bond issues are on the ballot.
What people "see" when voting on a bond issue is, the finished product, never taking into account what the product cost, or how long it will take to pay it off.
We have a prime example of that here in California.
We have bond issues on the ballot to build new schools, children's hospitals, road repair, etc.

More than likely all will pass, because stupid Californians always vote for these bond issues.
People could take a lesson from me.
When I get my sample ballot in the mail, the first thing I do is look for the issues that require money to be spent, and I always fill in the "no" selection.

What I see is a population that thinks of these bond issues as a credit card.
Sure, sign now, and pay later.
This is one of the reasons this once great state has become the cesspool that it is.
The state is spending well beyond the means to pay back.

Bob.
Good grief.

The entire country is running on credit cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections