Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 05:15 AM

17,320 posts, read 11,196,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don’t see that, those house votes are a reflection of what 2020 will look like.
You can't rely on that considering the large losses Obama received in the mid terms and he still won reelection. Trump is in a better position than Obama was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 05:16 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,616,422 times
I guess I was surprised at how close the races in the Senate were in Florida, Texas, and Georgia. While Dems didn't win, they got very close. I know "almost winning" doesn't count but if I were a GOP strategist, I'd find those margins a little uncomfortable. And while people may scoff that the "wave" didn't occur--I think it did. Those "blue" votes were significant in those republican strongholds.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:18 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,489,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Come on... nobody predicted or expected the Rep. to gain 4 seats in the Senate.

The Dems were expected to win the house by an ave of 36 according to 538 but it doesn't look like they'll reach it.

This election was supposed to be a referendum on Trump and if that's the case he did fine.
The GOP retained Senate, as expected. This means status quo. They controlled it before, and they control it now. You can celebrate it if you wish. Dems took the House from the GOP, which means the balance of power changed. GOP lost the House. Again, you can celebrate it if you wish. Trump says it was a great day, so why shouldn't you?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:22 AM

The biggest difference I see is that now Dems now have little to no ability to stop any nomination for Supreme Court in the next two years. That's huge IMO and certainly a big win for Trump.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The biggest difference I see is that now Dems now have little to no ability to stop any nomination for Supreme Court in the next two years. That's huge IMO.

But they knew that. This is not a surprise. It's been huge and known for awhile. Why is it just occurring to you this morning?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:27 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,734,293 times
Quote:
The biggest difference I see is that now Dems now have little to no ability to stop any nomination for Supreme Court in the next two years. That's huge IMO and certainly a big win for Trump.
Not just the Supreme Court...he'll have more leeway with cabinet appointments and other judicial nominations as well. It'll be easier to pack the lower courts. This is good for his long term impact.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
But they knew that. This is not a surprise. It's been huge and known for awhile. Why is it just occurring to you this morning?
No it wasn't known. Now Reps can lose even 2-3 votes from their own side and still put through who Trump wants on the Supreme Court. Obviously it wasn't like that before last night. Republicans did better than expected with the Senate. They were expected to hold the majority but not pick up as many seats as they did. Picking up 4 seats was the pie in the sky wish.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
No it wasn't known. Now Reps can lose even 2-3 votes from their own side and still put through who Trump wants on the Supreme Court. Obviously it wasn't like that before last night. Republicans did better than expected with the Senate. They were expected to hold the majority but not pick up as many seats as they did. Picking up 4 seats was the pie in the sky wish.

Well, we must be reading different things. Everything I heard up to the election was that it would a unicorn for the Dems to win the Senate and, in fact, were favored to lose a few seats. But, I generally stay off social media, blogs, and opinion sites. I did view the odds on 538 and that's how they were calling it also.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:34 AM

13,514 posts, read 7,870,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The GOP retained Senate, as expected. This means status quo. They controlled it before, and they control it now. You can celebrate it if you wish. Dems took the House from the GOP, which means the balance of power changed. GOP lost the House. Again, you can celebrate it if you wish. Trump says it was a great day, so why shouldn't you?
But not 4 seats. 538 had Rep with a pick-up of one at best.

I think a gain for 4 Senate seats is very impressive when you consider only 5 times out of the last 105 has a sitting President picked up Senate seats in a mid-term election. Pack the courts with conservative judges. That is where all the hot button issue end up being decided anyway.

The wall? The Dems will be doing Trump a favor by taking it off the table.

Now, he can blame the Dems for the wall not being built. He doesn`t actually have to build it.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:35 AM

13,514 posts, read 7,870,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, we must be reading different things. Everything I heard up to the election was that it would a unicorn for the Dems to win the Senate and, in fact, were favored to lose a few seats. But, I generally stay off social media, blogs, and opinion sites. I did view the odds on 538 and that's how they were calling it also.
I believe 538 had Rep picking up only one Senate seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections