Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,484,715 times

Advertisements

There have been several arguments why either Clinton or Obama should drop out. A few good points are made- but mostly sheep points of view.

To me, it's simple. Until either one wraps up the nomination with enough regular delegates I think they should stay in. I think it's good for the party. Also, as time goes along and we find out things about the two candidates (like the recent article on Obama and his shameless acts as an early politician and a similar style acts in caucuses) probably shist a lot of votes one way or the other. If the country's democrats were to have taken a nationwide popular vote every 30 days in the last 6 months I think there would be dramatic shifts in people's choioce.

Also, just because one candidate has more regular committed delegates, but not enough to win autimatically, doesn't mean they are the true choice of their party and that's why there's a convention. At the convention, the party big shots have a chance to have their say more so and help chose the person to run.

Hey, this is politics. Sit back, grab the remote and a bowl of chips and have some fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 AM

607 posts, read 920,073 times
Some good points. The Democrats are going with a pretty "populist" platform this year, so I think allowing superdelegates to overturn the popular vote is probably not a smart idea if the Dems want to win the general election. Also, any with half a brain knows that Hillary fosters hatred against her and will bring out people in droves to vote AGAINST her. She has so many more negatives than positives, it amazes me that she even was ever considered the "presumed nominee" until Obama came along. Whatever, let the Democrats ruin themselves just like they always do - when their policies are laid out for McCain to criticize, people may start realizing we as a country will go bankrupt with the Dems in power.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:16 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,113,240 times
I agree. It is American, if you will, for the two candidates to fight it out to the finish. It's an interesting race. Hillary made a slip which cost her. Obama has been lucky so far and hasn't made many gaffs. He is due! if he makes a major blunder the race will tighten up.

If you've paid attention the only ones calling for Hillary to drop out are Obama supporters and the only ones calling for Obama to drop out are Hillary supporters.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:27 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,484,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
I agree. It is American, if you will, for the two candidates to fight it out to the finish. It's an interesting race. Hillary made a slip which cost her. Obama has been lucky so far and hasn't made many gaffs. He is due! if he makes a major blunder the race will tighten up.

If you've paid attention the only ones calling for Hillary to drop out are Obama supporters and the only ones calling for Obama to drop out are Hillary supporters.
Actually Obama has made a few major gaffs, but they haven't hurt him. He's the new "Teflon" politician, ala, Bill "Slick Willie" Clinton. Give him credit, when he has a racist mentor, staffers from a racist 'kill whitie' persona, staffer guaranteeing to Canadian officials he's lying to get votes, some dispicable strong arm tactics in caucuses... and yet manages to still radiate, that's the sign of a master politician. I tip my hat.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,431,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post

Obama would have to come up with a pretty good gaffe to beat out Hillary's and I don't think he will.

What got Hillary to fabricate the Bosnia sniper story? If it is desperation because she's losing, then that isn't something Obama will likely do -- fabricate a completely fake story like that. He doesn't need to but also it doesn't appear to be his style.

It was discussed on the morning shows that Hillary now has 2012 in mind and she's intent on seeing Obama defeated by McCain so that she could make a run again in 2012 which would not be too feasible if Obama wins.

She's in this for herself, that's become very obvious.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM

775 posts, read 575,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obama would have to come up with a pretty good gaffe to beat out Hillary's and I don't think he will.

What got Hillary to fabricate the Bosnia sniper story? If it is desperation because she's losing, then that isn't something Obama will likely do -- fabricate a completely fake story like that. He doesn't need to but also it doesn't appear to be his style.

It was discussed on the morning shows that Hillary now has 2012 in mind and she's intent on seeing Obama defeated by McCain so that she could make a run again in 2012 which would not be too feasible if Obama wins.

She's in this for herself, that's become very obvious.
Then she really will be a has been's has-been.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,814,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
The Democrats are going with a pretty "populist" platform this year, so I think allowing superdelegates to overturn the popular vote is probably not a smart idea if the Dems want to win the general election.
What's interesting as you crunch the numbers is one could argue Hillary has not only won the states that a Dem needs to win but she has won the popular vote.

Just throw in MI and FL and drop the states that caucus and she's ahead in the popular vote. One could even throw in Cook county IL -- a historically dem playground with votes; and imply some irregularities there which, if put aside, would give Hillary a substantial popular vote lead. All the superdelegates need is an explanation -- that is an excuse to sell that Hillary really is the populist candidate, and it isn't much of a stretch. Most of these people who with clear minds that haven't yet been caught up in the Obama cult, recognize that Hillary is the only chance to capture the WH.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:13 AM

607 posts, read 920,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Hillary has not only won the states that a Dem needs to win but she has won the popular vote.

Just throw in MI and FL and drop the states that caucus and she's ahead in the popular vote.
By that reasoning, George McGovern won the 1972 election, if you drop all the states that didn't vote for him and every state that wasn't Massachusetts.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,814,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
By that reasoning, George McGovern won the 1972 election, if you drop all the states that didn't vote for him and every state that wasn't Massachusetts.
. . . if Obama can drop FL and MI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections