Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:13 AM

3,276 posts, read 2,105,433 times

Advertisements

If the Democrats would abandon the more far-left proclivities they've adopted, court the Independent vote, and reclaim the goal of fighting for the working and lower-middle classes, I don't see any reason why they couldn't expect to realize victory. Instead, however, it seems they will continue to favor becoming increasingly radicalized as though the orange weasel occupying the oval office wasn't subject to term limits. Screaming "racist," "Nazi," "Hitler," and otherwise lambasting even the slightest dissent of opinion as intrinsically evil is symptomatic of mental disorder. Popular political and media figures on the left suggesting that mere words ought to be met with violent reprisal at rate and degree worse than even Trump has managed makes these folks, and their sympathizers, look even worse than man for whom they observe such unbridled disdain.

There are many of us who would relish a sane candidate to defeat Trump in 2020. That being said, nominating a radical SJW type who appears willing to both entertain policies that run afoul of some of our Constitutionally enshrined rights and potentially cause hyperinflation is a nonstarter when considering the health of our nation in the long-term, and ultimately serves to make Trump appear far more benign than he actually is. I didn't vote for him in 2016 and have no desire to do so in 2020. So please, don't force myself and many others to vomit at our polling places as we vote against somebody like I've described above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
If the Democrats would abandon the more far-left proclivities they've adopted, court the Independent vote, and reclaim the goal of fighting for the working and lower-middle classes, I don't see any reason why they couldn't expect to realize victory. Instead, however, it seems they will continue to favor becoming increasingly radicalized as though the orange weasel occupying the oval office wasn't subject to term limits. Screaming "racist," "Nazi," "Hitler," and otherwise lambasting even the slightest dissent of opinion as intrinsically evil is symptomatic of mental disorder. Popular political and media figures on the left suggesting that mere words ought to be met with violent reprisal at rate and degree worse than even Trump has managed makes these folks, and their sympathizers, look even worse than man for whom they observe such unbridled disdain.

There are many of us who would relish a sane candidate to defeat Trump in 2020. That being said, nominating a radical SJW type who appears willing to both entertain policies that run afoul of some of our Constitutionally enshrined rights and potentially cause hyperinflation is a nonstarter when considering the health of our nation in the long-term, and ultimately serves to make Trump appear far more benign than he actually is. I didn't vote for him in 2016 and have no desire to do so in 2020. So please, don't force myself and many others to vomit at our polling places as we vote against somebody like I've described above.
Who do you suggest?

Because 'more of the same' doesn't appear to be a winning ticket.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:33 AM
JRR

8,144 posts, read 5,612,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
While I would not normally say that I'd vote for the Democrat candidate no matter what, I will say that I will in 2020. I don't care who it is; they'll be getting my vote.
I'm not quite to that point; I'm sure that there is some Democrat out there that I might consider worse then Trump. But then again, I never thought that I would be voting for Hillary in the general election. The Republicans had several candidates that would have got my vote over Hillary: Jeb Bush, John Kasich, Marco Rubio, maybe even Lindsey Graham. But they picked a candidate that put me in the position of holding my nose and voting for Hillary.

But if Trump runs again in 2020, it would take some truly horrible Democrat to make me stay home for the election or vote for Trump.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
So do I, but I want to know if we still have many people who need to love everything about their DNC candidate before they support them. If so, we will lose.

^^There you have it, folks.

Democrats don't need to love everything about their candidates--the way they expect Republicans to love everything about theirs.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:07 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,728,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Yes we do have that element of our side with the purity test. It needs to go.

For my part i will vote down ballot blue in every state, congressional, and presidential election until Trump, and all those of his ilk are purged from office. It's never been more important for our side, no matter where you fall on the spectrum of the left right now, to vote for the blue team. It's the only reasonable choice, unless we want to continue with massive corruption, heinous political appointments, and further erosion of our standing in the world to continue. Not to mention the path of inevitable environmental destruction down which Republicans insist on leading us.To a man, nearly all Republicans in office today are extremists, and we gotta stick with our side completely until sanity is restored.

It's a no-****ing brainer. We're in a fight right now, it's not the time to play nice or try to water down our beliefs to appease right wing extremists. Every time Democrats try to be conciliatory in that regard, they're going to be portrayed as radical anyway. We need to put bulldogs in office that will fight for progressive values.

However, that being said, we shouldn't throw our hands in the air and either not vote or vote a third party candidate simply because they weren't liberal enough. Cuz let me tell ya, a war hawk Democrat who's closer to the middle of the spectrum is far better than the Republican alternative.
Edit: heinous *judicial* appointments. That is all.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I'm not a Democrat, but I'll vote for whoever is running against Trump.

And I saw Elvis yesterday.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:20 AM

9,330 posts, read 14,246,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
If the Democrats would ... reclaim the goal of fighting for the working and lower-middle classes ...
... then they would support strict LEGALITY in terms of immigration, as well as tariffs, and not mention single-payer health care.

As it is, their overall policy platform package is full of contradictions that make no sense.

So-called republicans are no better, but the difference is that they do not pretend to be.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 AM

18,762 posts, read 11,755,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I will vote for what I feel is the best candidate at that time. Which will NEVER be Hillary Clinton, if she's crazy enough to run again and get picked in the primary. She's so obviously crooked, I'm amazed anybody could even consider having her as president.

If it's between Pres. Trump and a Dem I don't like, I will vote for Pres. Trump to be re-elected. That is, supposing he makes it completely through his first term with all the people sabotaging him at every turn. I'd vote for a third party if one of them ever had a chance of winning, which IMO they don't with the way things have been rigged for years by both main parties.

Oh lordy. Hillary is crooked but never mind that there have been numerous investigations with zero indictments or convictions. Trump is innocent with numerous convictions and cooperation's swirling around his presidency? Really? Just for grins lets imagine that Trump really did surround himself with liars and cheats and that our court system has convicted these people based on FACTS. I know it's an interesting concept that FACTS really do matter, but just for grins lets explore the possibility that the corruption really is real. Okay?

Old 11-18-2018, 12:09 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,902,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I think it proves that voters DO care about a particular orange candidate that they do NOT want in office.
So if the Dem candidate is WORSE than you think Trump is, you'll vote for the worse candidate because you hate Trump.

Because YAY DEMOCRATS!!!!! GO TEAM!!!!!! GO BLUE!!!!!!

Politics are PATHETIC. Voters are ignorant of many, many, MANY things.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:12 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
https://twitter.com/TopRopeTravis/st...82728322228226

Do you agree or disagree with this?
Well I happen to be on the other side of the line, but I am surprised you would ask for such a pledge or would vote based on hate for one side instead of voting based on who the best candidate would be: the one that would do the most to help our country regardless of personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections