Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:39 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,366 times

Advertisements

Don't worry If the next President allows them to stay There are some web sites that state they have Snippers ready. No Pun intended there really are. Any way back to the subject. Who Is officially in the running now for both parties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 11:25 AM

603 posts, read 1,995,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Well, Joe Biden (D-Delaware) just announced his candidacy.

And his stance on illegals is critical of Mexico and firm about employers--and he wants to build fences.
Yes, I really do like Joe Biden. He's very articulate. I would support him, but being in the senate for 30 years will give a lot of candidates plenty of things to attack him on (all his votes during that time). I would support Biden, but I would like to hear him talk more about immigration.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:33 AM

603 posts, read 1,995,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I'm puzzled why folks label liberals as supporting illegal immigration. There are liberals who are angry over illegal immigration and their are Conservatives who believe the statement above. Am I missing something? Don't make your opinions based on 15 people in a city-data forum, you won't have the slightest idea whether people are liberal or conservative.
Actually, I totally agree with this statement. Liberals catch a lot of flack because some of them openly say they want to have a guest worker program like Bush. But, the truth is that an equal number of conservatives (big business guys and even some small business guys) are just as willing to do it and grant amnesty, except that they will try to do it quietly so they don't offend the base too much. Actually, liberals of all people should be the most angry about illegal immigration. Why? It has destroyed unions all over this country and many of these low skill jobs are being snatched up by illegals and pushing poor blacks out of their communities. Plus, this also makes a bigger class divide in this country, which is something the liberals don't like either.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:33 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Whewy! That's a mouthful! Bad News for ya, every candidate will probably be a United States Senator, with maybe Mitt Romney from Massachussettes as an exception!
I don't think so. The Democrats in the Senate got elected in 2006 based on their opposition to Iraq. There is too much time between now and the election for them to do nothing except continue to whine about Bush. If they don't do something (anything) their lefties will abandon them for a candidate not in the Senate. Right now they are picking a lot of **** ant things to pursue. That isn't what they got elected on and the Democrat public will smarten up fast. They won't tackle the illegal alien problem, either.

Interestingly, John McCain will be happy about that lack of action on illegal immigration because again, his problem isn't the election, it's getting the nomination, and either he will be conveniently absent when it's time to vote or he will vote the wrong way in the eyes of the people who vote in the primaries. John McCain is a Kennedy/Feingold smooching guy who every once in awhile remembers he can't be President if he can't get the nomination. I think I like him less than the Democrat hopefuls because I don't like him as a person. I think the majority of Republicans who vote in the primaries will not vote for McCain. I will be one of those who won't vote for him in the primaries.

So, I don't think all of the candidates are out there yet and I do think someone who is not a member of the US Senate has a shot at getting a nomination. And since any US Senator will have his/her Senate voting record and his/her absences for votes in the spotlight, my money is on a non-Senator to win...again. And who could blame us?

Old 01-07-2007, 04:30 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,393 times
Is America ready for a black President (Obama) or a female one (Clinton)?

No. I like Obama, but my money is on Edwards.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:01 PM

I agree with the baggage Rudy would drag along with him.

That's why I'm not a fan of Giuliani. Before September 11, he was known for his total indifference toward police brutality. The NYPD basically declared war on Blacks, and he supported them.

When Amadou Diallo was shot 41 times, Giuliani released his juvenile record, which is generally sealed unless the offender was charged with something like murder. When a man was fatally shot in Queens while leaving his bachelor party last month, Giuliani's reaction was the same, indifference. September 11 didn't change everything.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 01-07-2007 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Formatting

Old 01-07-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
I remember [Edwards]!! He was our AWOL senator who always wanted to be president....too many places to go and be seen and not enought time to spare for his elected job.
If you change "senator" to "governor", you've just described Mitt Romney.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 01-07-2007 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-07-2007, 06:12 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
The US needs a change of pace in the Presidency for once.

Willie Nelson for President! (You can bet that he inhaled.)

Old 01-07-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Romney and illegals

as of now my support is for Romney.

Romney hired illegal immigrants from Guatemala to cut his lawn. They all said his wife is very nice. Check out
http://www.boston.com/news/local/art..._for_governor/.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:30 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
Quote:
I'm puzzled why folks label liberals as supporting illegal immigration. There are liberals who are angry over illegal immigration and their are Conservatives who believe the statement above. Am I missing something? Don't make your opinions based on 15 people in a city-data forum, you won't have the slightest idea whether people are liberal or conservative.
Spot on.

I am a "liberal", and these illegals make me want to vomit. My paternal grandparents came from Italy (legally), and they made it their business to learn English, and assimilate into their community (they opened a neighborhood pasta store in Newark, NJ). They had six children who were all educated, contributing members of society. I don't see these illegals doing any of that. I don't see them doing much of anything except leeching off our hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections