Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,768 times

Advertisements

Justin, it looks like you scared your neighbors:

Times-News: Magicvalley.com, Twin Falls, ID (http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2008/04/11/news/local_state/134604.txt - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:51 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Justin, it looks like you scared your neighbors:

Times-News: Magicvalley.com, Twin Falls, ID (http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2008/04/11/news/local_state/134604.txt - broken link)
Damn, I knew we should have gone to all those lincoln day events.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:22 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,153,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Damn, I knew we should have gone to all those lincoln day events.
From the RNC's own rule book:

Quote:
15.(11) No delegates or alternate delegates shall be selected pursuant to any Republican Party rule of a state or state law which materially changes the manner of selecting delegates or alternate delegates or the date upon which such state party holds a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention if such changes were adopted or made effective after the first Tuesday in September of the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held. Where it is not possible for a state party to certify the manner and the date upon which it holds a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention in effect in that state on the date and in the manner provided in paragraph (e) of this rule, the process for holding the presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention shall be conducted in the same manner and held upon the same date as was used for the immediately preceding national convention. If it is not possible to hold a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention upon the same date as was used for the immediately preceding national convention, then delegates or alternate delegates shall be selected by congressional district or state conventions pursuant to paragraph (d) of this rule.
Changing the rules after the first Tuesday in September 2007 is illegal. The rule will not stand.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:55 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
Am I the only one who finds it rather humorous to see how folks will state that Ron Paul has accomplished little to nothing and his supporters are fringe and have done little, yet at every turn, when we attempt to make an impact, they attempt to change the rules of stack the deck in such a manner as to prevent him from having any impact?

Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Am I the only one who finds it rather humorous to see how folks will state that Ron Paul has accomplished little to nothing and his supporters are fringe and have done little, yet at every turn, when we attempt to make an impact, they attempt to change the rules of stack the deck in such a manner as to prevent him from having any impact?
Yep... I posted that link for Yeledaf's benefit.

The good news is that when we here in Texas have talked to the average Republican who attends the various conventions, they support 95% of the message that we bring forth. I sat through 3 hours of speeches at the district convention about how McCain has nothing in common with "us", but we need to support him regardless, coming from the party "leaders".

The main opposition isn't coming from the average person, it's coming from those who are in power who fear losing that power.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The main opposition isn't coming from the average person, it's coming from those who are in power who fear losing that power.
Exactly. The average Republican is war-weary too. They only support it because the GOP does. Many I've talked to are ready to leave. Let them have it. And they really fear a war with Iran.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:18 PM

I think most people misunderstand the war position. From my own perspective, and that which I share with others when discussing Ron Paul's foreign policy, our invasion of Afghanistan was supported by the American people, and just in nature. We were attacked and with no question the Taliban supported terrorist groups which organized that attack. We should have had a formal declaration of war, which would have been fully supported by most Americans, and put together a solid plan of removing the existing government and getting democratic elections in place as soon as the country was stabilized and handed over the reigns to that government.

We also should have sent in special ops into Pakistan, regardless of what their "president' wanted us to do, and taken out UBL. We shouldn't have to apologize to anyone or ask their permission to seek revenge on the perpetrator of such a heinous act.

But extending this into Iraq was unquestionably wrong. Persuing Iran could be as wrong, if we don't persue diplomacy and start treating other nuclear countries with the same animosity (like North Korea).

I think most people get the idea that we as a collective group feel that all war is unjustified, and that we were wrong to go into Afghanistan. Correcting this misconception will go a long way to win over your average Republican.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
We also should have sent in special ops into Pakistan, regardless of what their "president' wanted us to do, and taken out UBL. We shouldn't have to apologize to anyone or ask their permission to seek revenge on the perpetrator of such a heinous act.

I think most people get the idea that we as a collective group feel that all war is unjustified, and that we were wrong to go into Afghanistan. Correcting this misconception will go a long way to win over your average Republican.
Letters of Marque and Reprisal could have been issued against Saddam and even Osama. We didn't have to tear up the country. Saddam wanted a billion dollars or something like that to leave on his own. We should have taken him up on the offer.

Iran offered help with Afghanistan in 2003. Cheney's office refused to even listen to them.

It's this kind of foreign policy that makes us less safe. We should be listening to our enemies. They don't hate us for our freedoms. They hate us because we've been over there for decades meddling in their affairs. Osama himself said that was one of the reasons for his jihad in a 1996 fatwa. How many Republicans have actually read it?

Another way to win over Republicans and even some Democrats is RonPaulIsWrong.com: Why Ron Paul Is Right

It's common sense, something we need a lot more of in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections