Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Julian Castro if he’s the Democratic nominee?
Yes 11 18.64%
No 43 72.88%
Unsure 5 8.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,102 times

Advertisements

They will be separated into three groups:

Candidates in a legally protected class
Candidates not in a legally protected class but will be if Dems win
Candidates who have white privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
It doesn't matter Either party. Anyone but Trump.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are repeating the Republican partys talking point and trying to claim it's your own.

GOP doesn't have a talking point on Julian. He is not going anywhere and he will drop out after Iowa Caucus. My take on Julian it's my own by hearing the hack talk. Maybe his 70% tax rate proposal and medicare for all might work in Mexico or Venezuela but not here.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:12 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
GOP doesn't have a talking point on Julian. He is not going anywhere and he will drop out after Iowa Caucus. My take on Julian it's my own by hearing the hack talk. Maybe his 70% tax rate proposal and medicare for all might work in Mexico or Venezuela but not here.
on the GOP twitter page, they list 5 reasons to not vote for "Julian Castro, the lightweight"

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1084144731418959872

number 5 is , Tim Kaine speaks better Spanish.

I dont care how political you are, picking that one line(and comparing Castro to Kaine) in and of itself is just odd, and for you to do it independently of the GOP would be even more astounding.

Before your post, someone had already repeated it on FOX News. im guessing you likely heard it there and repeated it here as if it was your own original thought.

Last edited by dsjj251; 01-12-2019 at 11:21 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
on the GOP twitter page, they list 5 reasons to not vote for "Julian Castro, the lightweight"

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1084144731418959872

number 5 is , Tim Kaine speaks better Spanish.

I dont care how political you are, picking that one line(and comparing Castro to Kaine) in and of itself is just odd, and for you to do it independently of the GOP would be even more astounding.

Before your post, someone had already repeated it on FOX News. im guessing you likely heard it there and repeated it here as if it was your own original thought.

so you ignored in my post his 70% tax rate proposal, medicare for all, open borders and for amnesty and only focused on the Tim Kaine joke?.....I think it's you who are obsessed with Fox News and whatever the GOP says and come here to be anal about it especially when you always repeat the Democrat party talking points here like they are paying you.

The pot calling the kettle black.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so you ignored in my post his 70% tax rate proposal, medicare for all, open borders and for amnesty and only focused on the Tim Kaine joke?.....

The whole reverse psychology thing doesnt work on me.

Mentioning the 70% tax thing would have been fine, thats a normal topic in politics. Who speaks better Spanish, not so much. Thats clearly you point blank repeating a talking point word for word from your party with no original thought.

Quote:
I think it's you who are obsessed with Fox News and whatever the GOP says and come here to be anal about it especially when you always repeat the Democrat party talking points here like they are paying you.
If you are posting on this site, you are a political junkie, so everyone here is obsessed in one way or another. However, some of use can have independent thought within our beliefs, others clearly can not.

The only one here proven to be repeating a Party talking point word for word is you. So you might want to back off claiming others are paid. LOL

Quote:
The pot calling the kettle black.
you understand you are admitting this by calling yourself a "kettle" in context right ?

also, you have mentioned Tim Kaine a total of 2 times outside this specific thread LOL.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:54 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,324,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
How can anyone know if they would vote for a candidate without know who else is running and without having listened to all of their views on policy?

Would you vote for Julian Castro if he’s the Democratic nominee? Reading is fundamental.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The whole reverse psychology thing doesnt work on me.

Mentioning the 70% tax thing would have been fine, thats a normal topic in politics. Who speaks better Spanish, not so much. Thats clearly you point blank repeating a talking point word for word from your party with no original thought.

If you are posting on this site, you are a political junkie, so everyone here is obsessed in one way or another. However, some of use can have independent thought within our beliefs, others clearly can not.

The only one here proven to be repeating a Party talking point word for word is you. So you might want to back off claiming others are paid. LOL

you understand you are admitting this by calling yourself a "kettle" in context right ?

also, you have mentioned Tim Kaine a total of 2 times outside this specific thread LOL.
who died and made you the authority here in what is "fine" and what is not in a political topic. Get off your high horse and stop being anal and don't make a big drama out of nothing......LOL

Old 01-13-2019, 04:58 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I know little about Mr. Castro. I just picked up his book An Unlikely Journey. Will read & report later.
So I did read Julian Castro's An Unlikely Journey, which now appears to have been a 'campaign kick off' book. Usually such books are horrible, and I expected to put it down after 25 pages, but I read the whole thing. The first half is the best, which covers his grandma, who was an orphan, coming from Mexico to America in 1922 at age 7. Then goes on to cover Castro's life through college.

What makes it good is that he doesn't sugarcoat anything--brutal honesty. He's just 'ok' at stringing together words as a writer, but he's great at stringing together his experiences to form an interesting narrative.

Second half of the book covers his political career, which I enjoyed less. To me he comes off as somewhat of a non-ideologue, which I think is what the Democrats need in 2020.

But he is definitely an 'activist central government' guy. Here is a quote from when he goes to DC as a college student to work as an intern:

Quote:
In the White House, staffers conducted business and themselves in a manner unlike anything I'd ever experienced. Intelligent minds from all over the country and the world were laser focused, formulating complex deals, compromising, advising, setting up meetings, and working within a labyrinthine and nuanced machine to improve people's lives
Not exactly the kind of thing that is going to impress conservatives/libertarians.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:03 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
The best way I could sum up Castro, at least from his book, is if you liked President Obama's two terms, you would probably like a President Castro. Two Harvard law technocrats in a pod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections