Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:20 PM

494 posts, read 285,564 times

Advertisements

I'm going to keep my eye on this candidate if he does choose to run. I saw an interview with him today and he sounds very intelligent and thoughtful about what is going on with the country right now. He appears to be well-grounded, but we'll have to see. Should be interesting........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 05:53 AM

152 posts, read 99,185 times
Schultz should stick to selling overpriced coffee and danishes. He really thinks an independent can win...just another egotistical billionaire who knows nothing about US politics. Even Trump knew he had to capture a major party's nomination!

Old 01-29-2019, 06:06 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
True, there is no official Independent political party, but there is an official American Independent Party, which has caused some confusion, especially in California.

This was confirmed in a Los Angeles Times investigation in 2016, which found "overwhelming" and "indisputable" evidence that thousands of California voters who are registered as affiliated with the American Independent Party on voter forms in fact intended to be registered as "no party preference" (i.e., as independent voters).

That's why more and more states like to use "unaffiliated" instead of "independent" as a choice.
Yup.
'Independent' and 'party' don't go together very well. Unaffiliated is a much better choice of words.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:26 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
They are hugely afraid of him splitting up their votes enough for Trump to sneak back in. It's funny that there is already hysteria against him running.
'Hugely'? Nope. Not yet, anyway. No hysteria either. It's far too early for that.

But there's concern, as there always is when an independent announces a run.

Independent candidates never win, but they always hurt one party to some degree. Ross Perot's run is credited with GHW Bush's loss in 1992. But Perot was the only independent who was real threat for many, many years, and no one like him has risen since.

Everything from the Constitution on down is very loaded toward a 2-party system, especially electing the President. Much of that comes from the fact that we vote for the person, not the party.

In a Parliament, the voters vote for the party, and the party selects who will lead it and the nation.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:35 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
He should totally use the foo fighter’s song Monkey Wrench for his campaign song

“Don't wanna be your monkey wrench
One more indecent accident
I'd rather leave than suffer this
I'll never be your monkey wrench”

Old 01-29-2019, 07:42 AM

282 posts, read 113,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Former Starbuck's CEO Howard Shultz, a long-time Democrat, is now considering a run at the White House as an Independent.
Shultz recently announced he was leaving the Democratic party. His fortune is estimated at around $3 Billion, about the size of Trump's in 2016, so Shultz could self-fund his campaign if he wants to.

Shultz believes the national deficit- now around $21.5 Trillion- is so large that if steps aren't taken, it will sink our economy, and he believes both parties are too irresponsible to ever address it now.

He also believes that if the deficit isn't under control, universal health care could ruin the economy. But if the deficit was addressed, the health care for all could actually save money for the nation.

Shultz' company has given him a lot of experience in looking at some of America's most nagging problems that are plaguing our retail sector.

He's had to deal with those problems too, and during his reign at Starbuck's, the company he founded when he was as poor as a church mouse, has grown Starbuck's from one coffee shop to an international business that's now found all over the planet.

If he is serious, he could throw a big monkey wrench into the 2020 election, and from what I've seen of him, I think it's possible he does have a chance of become the first Independent President ever.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06ba6d3be4904

I like him. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative. Good for him shaking it up!!!

All the democrat have to offer is more taxes and free goodies ("free" college/health care, $500 Kamala-bucks) to buy poor and working class votes. You only need to look to Venezuela to see what the radical left end game looks like.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:58 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
There is nothing in the US Constitution that recognizes the political parties.

Schultz has a constitutional right to run for President and I support him if he wishes to run.

Someone needs to shake up that political parties and more independents will do this.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:02 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Former Starbuck's CEO Howard Shultz, a long-time Democrat, is now considering a run at the White House as an Independent.
Shultz recently announced he was leaving the Democratic party. His fortune is estimated at around $3 Billion, about the size of Trump's in 2016, so Shultz could self-fund his campaign if he wants to.

Shultz believes the national deficit- now around $21.5 Trillion- is so large that if steps aren't taken, it will sink our economy, and he believes both parties are too irresponsible to ever address it now.

He also believes that if the deficit isn't under control, universal health care could ruin the economy. But if the deficit was addressed, the health care for all could actually save money for the nation.

Shultz' company has given him a lot of experience in looking at some of America's most nagging problems that are plaguing our retail sector.

He's had to deal with those problems too, and during his reign at Starbuck's, the company he founded when he was as poor as a church mouse, has grown Starbuck's from one coffee shop to an international business that's now found all over the planet.

If he is serious, he could throw a big monkey wrench into the 2020 election, and from what I've seen of him, I think it's possible he does have a chance of become the first Independent President ever.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06ba6d3be4904

Oh great. monkey wrench indeed....

Old 01-29-2019, 08:12 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
More like the bush leagues, where the liberals and progressives believe other ideas, voices, viewpoints should be heckled, shouted down, interrupted. Not heard.

Oh yes, let us cheer those who wish to shut down ideas not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Apparently Schultz’ book tour is off to a shaky start.

https://mobile.twitter.com/maxwellta...38812804345857

Welcome to the big leagues, Howard.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:18 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Not with a six Justice Constitutional constructionist majority, we will not be. Personally, my priorities were, Supreme Court, tax reform that me and mine and serious immigration reform of which metaphorically, the Wall represents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
By 2020 the Mueller report will be out and by then there will be lots of disenchanted Repubs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections