U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM

8,193 posts, read 7,398,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
Ok, then the Vietnamese have every right to hate the Americans for the millions of civillians who were killed, right? And Iraqis have every right to hate the Americans who killed them and tortured them in Guantanomo and Abu Graebe, right?
Is it Christian to be killing and torturing? How can we avoid being in that situation, where the fear of being killed causes you to react by killing? Ask yourself this. Where exactly did all that killing and torture occur? Was it in America? No, it was in Southeast Asia and the Middle East, where America had NO BUSINESS TELLING THE PEOPLE THERE HOW TO LIVE OR WHO THEIR LEADERS SHOULD BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does any of that have relevance to whether McCain using a racial slur against the Vietnamese who held him captive?
If you want to rant about the Iraqi war, go ahead, but you might want to start a new thread.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:56 PM

469 posts, read 724,106 times
Obama's wife and his pastor basically said "I hate the US"

Of course not in those terms but pretty darn close.

I'll take a racial slur from someone being tortured by that race (still unacceptable) over 2 people not proud of the greatest country on earth (and a country that allowed those 2 people to be the successful people they currently are).

Old 04-11-2008, 05:09 PM

12,647 posts, read 8,531,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
Obama's wife and his pastor basically said "I hate the US"

Of course not in those terms but pretty darn close.

I'll take a racial slur from someone being tortured by that race (still unacceptable) over 2 people not proud of the greatest country on earth (and a country that allowed those 2 people to be the successful people they currently are).
You tolerate racial slurs from a person, but you're upset by someone who will express he isn't proud of America? It confounds me that one can be ostracized for exercising an explicit right intentioned by the framers but will "tolerate" racism.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:29 PM

991 posts, read 933,362 times
Default The Relevance Is Clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
How does any of that have relevance to whether McCain using a racial slur against the Vietnamese who held him captive?
If you want to rant about the Iraqi war, go ahead, but you might want to start a new thread.
If McCain hates the enemy for torturing him, and doesn't see the reason why the enemy might hate him, for example by blowing up his family, then he is seeing only his side of the story. The men in combat who kill and torture, on both sides, are not as much to blame as those who send them there, especially if it is for the purpose of gaining power, wealth, oil, etc. If you can't see the connection, I'm sorry.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:11 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,904,206 times
The Vietnamese treated that guy pretty dang good if you ask me. How so?

Ok, you're tending your rice paddy one day, along with your Wife and Son. Suddenly a plane comes out of the air and drops a bomb on your home, killing your Wife and Son. Could have happend a thousand times in Vietnam, yes?

OK, then this plane suddenly gets shot down or crashes . You rush to the plane to get this mother-fker. Bunch of other Vietnamese are there and they haul this jerk off out of the plane and off to the holding area.

Would you have kept this scumbag alive? If so, for how long?

But this guy made it back. Exactly how much "cooperation" did he give the Vietnamese? Or are the Vietnamese just naturally forgiving on situations like this?

I happen to be very intimate with Vietnamese ( No I'm not Vietnamese ) and with Vietnam , and am only saying this to see if there's anyone else familiar.

I realize that there are still some ignoramuses out there who believe that the Vietnamese went in there and attacked a US Destroyer with a patrol boat ( hahahahaha you really are a moron and a dangerous one too ). Others may think the Vietnamese sent wave after wave of amphibious Cyclos to attack the west coast of the US. ( Photo below ). I assure you that not only did not happen but it wasn't planned either.

So again, you are a mild manners Budhist farmer, out there tending your crop and suddenly these planes come out of the sky, bomb the little town you are in, kill your Wife, your children, drop leaflets telling you they are coming back. You've maybe heard of these giant white and black people running around the countryside with guns in their hands, shooting people, burning villages. And here's your chance. A plane is down. What do you do? How do you react?

I say the Vietnamese reacted a LOT more restrained than I would and with a heck of a lot more honor than the USA did who has STILL not taken responsibility for mass murder of civilians ( cmon mr calley, I'm here in SW Fla, want some? Come get some you punk lowlife), dropping millions of gallons of incecticides into the water table creating a polluted environment that is still responsible for thousands of horrific birth defects for little babies.

And this scumbag calls them names and says he hates them?

Here's the cyclos America was afraid of attacking the west coast:

YouTube - Cyclo in Hué

And one many of the results of our involvement there:

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefWzhAJIORQAcZujzbkF/SIG=12eucgusp/EXP=1208210995/**http%3A//www.commondreams.org/headlines06/images/0401-04.jpg[/IMG]

Could be anyones Mom:

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefb5hAJIaUkB0VOjzbkF/SIG=11psgbobm/EXP=1208211065/**http%3A//www.inminds.co.uk/my-lai-3.jpg[/IMG]

But this scumbag calls THEM names and says he hates them eh?

How pathetic and an embarrassment to the entire world.

A Vietnamese girl who suffers from Agent Orange effects is seen here in 2004.

Baby born with defects from what WE dropped on that land:
http://www.withfriendship.com/user/images/79/vietnam-children.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by MrTudo; 04-13-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Sin Loi Co, chung toi la ban. Please accept my apologies on behalf of your host nation.

Should be

Xin loi ban,

Rgrds

Old 04-14-2008, 03:38 AM

15,622 posts, read 9,308,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Should be

Xin loi ban,

Rgrds
Camong An. It has been 40 years...

Old 04-14-2008, 05:51 AM

4,134 posts, read 9,659,441 times
That to me is really shameful and extremely racist. I happen to love the Vietnanmese people and have known many at the monastery where I once attended. They are a kind and gently people. The war was a different story, but to lump them all in one pile is full of hate. Of course it won't hurt him because no one seems to care if he like a minister that hates gays and thinks that God destroyed New Orleans due to them, which in turn killed non gays. Even the news doesn't hang on his words like they do Obama's. They don't even chastise Hillary much.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 AM

991 posts, read 933,362 times
Default 40 years ago - so what is the point?

Quote:
Bideshi seems to think that since it happened 40 years ago, we should just forget about it. Well, remember that Vietnamese girl running down the road with napalm burning thru her flesh (it doesn't come off - it just burns all the way thru)? Now Bush has them dropping white phosporus on Iraqi girls. Lots of progress, right? The other poster has a point - McCain made it back alive. As I recall, many Viet Cong got tossed out of US helicopters, so maybe McCain should be more thankful.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Dung Bao Gio Quen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.