Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Democrats or potential Democrats only: Do you think the party should nominate a centrist or somebody
Dems should nominate somebody center to center-left 48 56.47%
Dems should nominate a true left-wing progressive 14 16.47%
#MAGA 23 27.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:39 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,650,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
You’d rather have Individual 1 than [hypothetically] AOC?

IMO, anyone is better than that charlatan currently ruining our country.
I think that Trump is a truly lousy President. However, I would not be willing to swap him for just anyone. There are Democrats that I feel would be an equally lousy or even worse President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
There is a giant middle between centrist and far left.

If Joe Biden governs like he claims to be, he would be left of a centrist, but not far left.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm with you on this, if the Republicans run Trump again. I prefer someone moderate, but if Trump is running, then my vote would go to just about anyone running against him. Unless it was someone like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, in which case I would have to think long and hard about not voting at all.
I would vote for any of the Dem candidates running right now over Trump. All of them are infinitely more qualified and won't be selling our country to the highest bidder.

Hell, I'd even vote for Bernie and I think many of his ideas are simply not doable other than MAYBE incrementally. But I'm pretty sure he's not a criminal so that gives him a leg up on Trump IMO.

I'm not sure I'd vote for Howard Schultz over Trump. He strikes me as just another egotistical billionaire that thinks he knows best for this country. But probably even him!

Old 03-02-2019, 01:17 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I think that Trump is a truly lousy President. However, I would not be willing to swap him for just anyone. There are Democrats that I feel would be an equally lousy or even worse President.
Got it. That’s where you and I differ. There isn’t a single democrat candidate (or any democrat still considering) that I think would be worse than Individual 1.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Don't say "anyone."

Please!

I was just about to type, “I’d even vote for Cheney over Individual 1!” ...But, Cheney could be more dangerous because he’s not an imbecile.

That would be a tough decision.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:25 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:
I was just about to type, “I’d even vote for Cheney over Individual 1!” ...But, Cheney could be more dangerous because he’s not an imbecile.

That would be a tough decision.
tRump's incompetence and deep stupidity have probably worked in America's favor more times than we know.

Ol' chicken Dick Cheney is a political operator and would no doubt have caused MUCH more damage.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
tRump's incompetence and deep stupidity have probably worked in America's favor more times than we know.

Ol' chicken Dick Cheney is a political operator and would no doubt have caused MUCH more damage.

True, true.

Hey, I found someone who would force me to vote for Individual 1!

Dick Cheney!

Dems, please don’t allow Cheney to run as an democrat.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
How did Trump win? By going farther to the right than all the others could go.

I don't know anything for sure, but I tend to think that the Democratic voters are just as unhappy with trying to aim for the center as the Republicans were in 2016.

That leads me to think that a far-left candidate may be the most likely nominee.

The thing about all this far-left far-right thing to remember is extreme campaign promises don't have to be kept if they can't work in reality. All they have to do is win the election.

And if some of those extreme plans can prove to have a practical way of implementing them, then they will greatly help an incumbent's re-election.
All extreme plans have to show some sign of working to become a reality, and when the reality actually works, popularity follows.

Sometimes, an extreme plan that has the possibility of working is good enough to get the popularity without actually working.

Reagan's star wars proposal, which was really popular because it offered Americans lasting relief from the fear of surprise nuclear attack, but the technology to make the plan real wasn't up to the job. It took over 30 years for technology to catch up to the demands of the plan, so Reagan very quietly let the plan go to rest.

But since the Soviets didn't know how good our technology actually was then, the threat of star wars to a surprise attack was enough to stop them from planning one. All the Soviets knew was we were surprising them continuously with technological advances they couldn't even conceive, and those advances were very real.

So what we had at the time caused the Soviets to doubt their own abilities to keep up with us. And if they couldn't keep up, they might as well throw in the towel and give up trying. The only way they could relieve their fear of us was to destroy nuclear missiles designed for sneak attacks.

So extremity has it's practical uses. On all sides equally, but they all have to be conceived to ever be offered to a friend or a foe.

When a party fails to imagine anything could possibly be better than it is now, they will lose. People always want something new and better.
He won because he was going against Hillary, who was not only a hated candidate and a disliked person dating back to the 90's, but ran a poor campaign.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Got it. That’s where you and I differ. There isn’t a single democrat candidate (or any democrat still considering) that I think would be worse than Individual 1.
I voted for Hillary, but I cannot bring myself to vote for the likes of Harris, Castro, etc.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I voted for Hillary, but I cannot bring myself to vote for the likes of Harris, Castro, etc.
Because you feel they are worse than Individual 1?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections