U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2008, 11:20 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,665 posts, read 2,270,421 times
Reputation: 576
Default Obama Expresses Desire for Transgendered People in Military

Obama: Repeal of 'Don't Ask' Possible (http://www.wtop.com/?nid=213&sid=1384373 - broken link)

Of course he's for repealing "don't ask, don't tell" but has he gone over the top with his desire to see transgendered people in the military? Now I've always looked at the military as a country's defense of it's borders; indeed its way of life. A organization heavily dependant on the camaraderie and support of all individuals; not exactly an ideal laboratory for some liberal ideas of workplace diversity for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
 
7,824 posts, read 4,697,404 times
Reputation: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Obama: Repeal of 'Don't Ask' Possible (http://www.wtop.com/?nid=213&sid=1384373 - broken link)

Of course he's for repealing "don't ask, don't tell" but has he gone over the top with his desire to see transgendered people in the military? Now I've always looked at the military as a country's defense of it's borders; indeed its way of life. A organization heavily dependant on the camaraderie and support of all individuals; not exactly an ideal laboratory for some liberal ideas of workplace diversity for all.
Did you read your own linked article? Nowhere in there does it say Obama supports transgendered people in the military. Nice sensational headline though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 02:35 PM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 9,520,401 times
Reputation: 1580
Ah yes, reading comprehension is clearly not the strong suit of some posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Texas
8,063 posts, read 11,252,711 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Ah yes, reading comprehension is clearly not the strong suit of some posters.
Indeed. From the article:

Quote:
He said he'd like transgendered people to be covered by the law, but thinks it would be tough to get such legislation through Congress.
OF COURSE it would be "tough" but he mentioned it to pander. Female soldiers wouldn't want a "woman" with a penis in their shower rooms and bunkhouses and male soldiers wouldn't want a "man" with female genitalia in their quarters, either. Transgender includes people who haven't had the surgeries and completed the "transition."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 PM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 9,520,401 times
Reputation: 1580
Transgendered people covered under the law is different from 'desiring transgendered people to be in the military'. Pretty much all LGBT law covers transgendered people, what do you think the 'T' is for? So yes, he wants to overturn the ludicrous 'don't ask don't tell law', and like most civil right laws dealing with the LGBT population, included the entire LGBT population.

Give me a break folks. Or carry on simultaneously crying "OMG Obama is racist" and "OMG Obama is going to make us all gay", it is starting to get amusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 04:03 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,665 posts, read 2,270,421 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Did you read your own linked article? Nowhere in there does it say Obama supports transgendered people in the military. Nice sensational headline though.
The article clearly states that he wishes to repel the "don't ask, don't tell" policy (clearly military related) and then in the very next sentence states that he like to "see transgendered people be covered. . . " but recognizes this would be tough. Admittedly I'm not an expert in Obamaism; I don't begin to know what he means with half his positions and I wonder if even he does.

Of course you can spin it like you wish. It's really not even relevant. He can say virtually anything or utterly nothing and his followers just nod and swoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 04:12 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,665 posts, read 2,270,421 times
Reputation: 576
Barack Obama (policy statement)
Quote:
As president, I will work with Congress and place the weight of my administration behind enactment of the Military Readiness Enhancement Act, which will make nondiscrimination the official policy of the U.S. military.
(from referenced article)
Quote:
Asked what he could reasonably accomplish for the gay community as president, Obama said he can "reasonably see" repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy as well as signing legislation to ban workplace discrimination against gays. He said he'd like transgendered people to be covered by the law . . . . .
I've pulled the string; now is where you guys start to spin like a top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 9,520,401 times
Reputation: 1580
And the last part of the article states.
Quote:
...but thinks it would be tough to get such legislation through Congress.

Obama also said he's interested in ensuring that same-sex couples in civil unions get federal benefits.
I still found your headline needlessly sensational and serving no actual reasonable political debate, but then again that seem to be modis operandi around these boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 04:39 PM
 
2,258 posts, read 2,492,729 times
Reputation: 464
We could use em for decoys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 PM
 
7,824 posts, read 4,697,404 times
Reputation: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
The article clearly states that he wishes to repel the "don't ask, don't tell" policy (clearly military related) and then in the very next sentence states that he like to "see transgendered people be covered. . . " but recognizes this would be tough. Admittedly I'm not an expert in Obamaism; I don't begin to know what he means with half his positions and I wonder if even he does.

Of course you can spin it like you wish. It's really not even relevant. He can say virtually anything or utterly nothing and his followers just nod and swoon.
LNTT??? Another poster has beat me to it, but to reiterate -- "covered under the law" does not refer to don't ask, don't tell, as is abundantly clear by the article. And yes, you are decidely NOT an expert in Obamaism aka his views. Did you read this article? I'm spinning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top