Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
WaPO be damned. The correct term is ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

That's the problem with liberals, they continue to mask the truth with soft-sounding terminology. Like....'Beto' for an Irish descendant Anglo.
Illegal Aliens is actually the correct and descriptive term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 03:18 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
No, you don't understand: Hispanic status has nothing to do with ancestry (that is, family ancestry). If somebody was a German-Mexican with the last name Schmidt and was 100% of German ancestry, but spoke Spanish, and then they moved to Texas, they would be considered Hispanic.

Irish-Mexicans are a real thing.

I'm not saying that's the case with O'Rourke, but the claim that he can't be Hispanic just because he has an Irish surname is false.
I didn't realize the"One Drop Rule" was now being applied to Hispanics. You guys just don't stop.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:44 AM

349 posts, read 260,460 times
Quote:
......Second, from what I've read, the nick-name Beto was something he acquired in childhood, so I doubt it has anything to do with a deliberate attempt to sound Hispanic.
Beto O'Rourke's family has always called him 'Beto.' Here's why.

El Paso Times
March 11, 2019

He was named after his grandfathers, and his mother, Melissa O'Rourke, said on the campaign trail during his U.S. Senate run that "Robert" — her father's name — didn't seem to fit when he was a baby.

The family has deep roots in El Paso, and "Beto" is a common shortening of the name "Roberto," or "Robert."

So, his family is responsible for giving him the Mexican-sounding nickname. Got it.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:56 AM

349 posts, read 260,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Illegal Aliens is actually the correct and descriptive term.
As you wish, mon ami.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:32 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
O’Rourke champions US-Mexico border during Texas kickoff

Democratic presidential candidate Beto (the fake Mexican) O’Rourke declared that immigrants make the country safer as he staged rallies across Texas on Saturday to formally kick off his 2020 White House bid....
First off you know he means illegal aliens not plain ole immigrants and the former certainly doesn't make our country safer quite the opposite is true. He's just pandering to Hispanics who want amnesty for their illegal amigos and an open border for the rest of their ethnic group to be able to migrate here at will. In other words a typical Democrat.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Former Californians are fleeing the state to seek asylum from the oppression of their elected overlords, excessive crime, gangs and drugs to neighboring states. The only issue is that these people are bringing their problems and not to mention their liberal social ideas with them to their new homes.

Hmmm sounds like just what is happening when the "migrants" force themselves to our Southern border...
There's a difference between fleeing to a different part of your own country and fleeing to another country illegally though.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trump wants to give amnesty to illegals. Trump has hired illegals. Trump doesn't want to enact E-Verify. Trump supports immigrants and isn't much diff than other politicians(except he has hired many illegals) plus his costly wall proposal which is ancient technology and too far behind the times to have impact. Especially since the majority off illegals enter legally then overstay their visa and become illegals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.d60a5b0c122d

Trump supports path to citizenship for up to 1.8 million ‘dreamers’ in new White House proposal
No, Trump does not support amnesty for the Dreamers and never really did he merely used it as a bargaining chip for the wall and that article goes back to a year and a half ago. There is no proof that Trump "knowingly" had any illegals working for him either. Trump has had e-verify in his last two budgets but probably objected to by the Democrats just like in the past.

It's not Trump's wall it's the wall that was approved by congress back in 2006 but wasn't built according to specs and an additional 300 miles on the most porous areas of the border. Would you rather fund a $25 billion wall already proven to work or the over $100 billion a year that illegals cost us? The answer should be clear. Walls are not ancient technology either. The wall addresses the border jumpers not the visa over stayers. Both problems need to be addressed. Not ignore one problem for the other.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:52 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I didn't realize the"One Drop Rule" was now being applied to Hispanics. You guys just don't stop.
I'm not giving you my opinion, it is how the term "Hispanic" is factually applied. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:12 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
I'm not giving you my opinion, it is how the term "Hispanic" is factually applied. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

"Beh Toe" isn't a Latino. Give it up. You are simply arguing for arguing sake.

He's a poser who insists on being called a little boy nickname. That's his choice. It won't do him any favors in the election.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
I'm not saying he's Latino (I actually agree he probably isn't). What I'm disputing is the claim that somebody with an Irish surname can't be Latino, which was the contention of a couple people here. That is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections