Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:31 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldokitty View Post
why is tulsi gabbard not being talked about as dem nominee for president?

who????
tulsi gabbard!!!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
65,000 donors. She has over 50,000 already.
That would be impressive if she was running for County Commissioner.

Not so much when she's running for President in a nation of 350 million people.

If the guy who started this thread defending her doesn't plan to vote for her, that shows very clearly how strong a candidate Gabbard is.

There will come a time when the Democratic party will nominate a conservative Democrat, but 2020 won't be it.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
I only agree with her foreign policy ideas. I don't agree with her on anything else but even though I don't agree with her on anything else she seems to be a sane democrat...not many IMO left that are in power. Most go completely bat S crazy,she seems to be able to hold a conversation in a sane manner.
In other words, you like the dog's spots but hate the dog.

Every candidate has something agreeable to someone. That's just the spots. The dog is a different matter. There are always some of the same spots on a different dog.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Anyone who uses chemical weapons against civilians and drops barrel bombs on hospitals deserves to be demonized. In fact, demonizing Assad is redundant. He is already a demon of his own making.
Yup. Protecting Christians by dropping barrel bombs on them isn't really protecting them at all.

Do Americans bomb civilians? Yes. But Americans try to select their targets and have spent millions of dollars developing bombs that are as selective as is possible. We stopped carpet bombing years ago.

Assad's barrel bombs were nothing but a cheap way of carpet bombing that leveled entire sections of a city at a time with no discrimination of Christian, Muslim, or Jew. They all died holding each other's hands underneath the helicopters dropping the bombs.

Last edited by banjomike; 04-15-2019 at 10:00 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That would be impressive if she was running for County Commissioner.

Not so much when she's running for President in a nation of 350 million people.

If the guy who started this thread defending her doesn't plan to vote for her, that shows very clearly how strong a candidate Gabbard is.

There will come a time when the Democratic party will nominate a conservative Democrat, but 2020 won't be it.
Why bother if you are going to be no different than the alternative?

Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,571,779 times
I think that Gabbard has passed the 65k donor threshold (I get emails from her campaign almost every day), but she is way too middle of the road for the LWLTs that dominate the Dem party.

I voted for her for congress in 2016, and would vote for her for POTUS if she makes it that far.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:38 PM

39,846 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
Is it because she doesn't toe the war monger line on foreign policy? Because she mainly sounds sane on most issues? I like her,she is young,pretty,a veteran,smart...why no one talking about her? I remember the article where BOTH the left AND right were attacking her for her foreign policy...she reminds me of Ron Paul on foreign policy. I wouldn't vote for her but IMO she is the dems best candidate to beat Trump...what's everyone else's opinion?
She is one of the few Dems running that seems to have a brain in her head. I don't agree with her on some issues (gun control front and center) but I can respect the fact that she has a degree of integrity and common sense lacking from most of the modern Democratic party.

Thing is, I think she's too sane and intelligent to be taken seriously by the DNC-let alone the MSM. The MSM is what creates a candidate in the Democratic party (see Obama). They are promoting and advancing the far-left loons and hate mongers. Someone that has some appeal to the vast middle of this country will be ignored by the msm.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:43 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,032 times
The hype was for Biden then Buttigieg. Sanders is still second. Gabbard may be third in a two horse race, like Martin O'Malley and John Edwards.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I think that Gabbard has passed the 65k donor threshold (I get emails from her campaign almost every day), but she is way too middle of the road for the LWLTs that dominate the Dem party.

I voted for her for congress in 2016, and would vote for her for POTUS if she makes it that far.
Its not just 65K though.

Its 65K total with at least 1 donor in each state and at least 200 donors from 20 states.

this is so someone like Sen. Harris or Gillibrand cant just go to LA or New York and qualify with 1 dollar donations from 65,000 people in a major city.

The problem is the DNC based these numbers on 2008. I believe at this point in 2007, only 6 democrats had qualified (not including Al Gore and John Kerry who were both included in polling and would have made the cut off)

As of right now, 15 qualify.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:21 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,206,437 times
Gabbard has absolutely no lane. Her previous positions on homosexuality are too far from where the average Dem now stands. More importantly- her love of Assad will kill her among moderates and crossover Rs. When you run as a moderate you have to pull heavily from crossover voters and independents- she will not achieve this. She is pretty much in the same spot as Lieberman's own Presidential run. People in the other party will love her but not actually vote for her. Our last three presidents have proven that having people who actually vote for you far outweighs the ability of people in the other party to simply stomach your candidacy.

It is the equivalent of Dems lamenting that Rs such as Kasich, Huntsman, or Flake stand no chance in the Republican party. These Dems have no intention in the world of actually voting for those folks but wish the opposing party would pick a candidate who better suits their sensibilities. So they can continue having no intention of voting for said Rs, but do so with less annoyance than someone who actually represents that party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.